•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Orange Tube SCT same as others?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Klein

Fred Klein

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:25 AM

I have an 8" Celestron SCT from an SE mount that has the orange tube.  I am wondering if there are differences between this tube and the other 8" SCTs with the darker tube other than the type of dovetail bar?  If so, what iare the differences?

Fred Klein

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:32 AM

The optical formulas are identical except for the possibility of coatings though I believe that the vast majority of later orange tube had XLT coatings, but I cannot say with certainty that all did. XLT scopes have a sticker that says XLT, and the previous generation scopes had a sticker that said "Starbright."  

There may be some small differences in accessories, trim, mounting holes and such. For example, the mechanism for attaching corrector covers has differed from time to time.

Otherwise, it will perform more or less exactly the same as any standard C8 with optical coatings with the quality of the specific samples being compared the only meaningful variable. 

(The XLT optics also use a different glass in the corrector, but again, that is a difference between XLT and previous coatings packages.)

Edited by Eddgie, 13 November 2019 - 11:36 AM.

#3 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

He's referring to the new orange tube C8s that come with the SE mount and maybe others.

No, there is no difference between the new orange C8s and the new black C8s. Just the color. Both are FASTAR (Hyperstar) ready and have the same focusing mechanisms etc.

• RNSpeed, Skywatchr and elmiko like this

#4 RNSpeed

RNSpeed

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: San German, Puerto Rico

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:01 PM

He's referring to the new orange tube C8s that come with the SE mount and maybe others.

No, there is no difference between the new orange C8s and the new black C8s. Just the color. Both are FASTAR (Hyperstar) ready and have the same focusing mechanisms etc.

Thanks! Glad I found this post as I was also evaluating  between getting an Orange vs a Black C8 OTA

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics