•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skyris as Imaging Camera

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OverMyHead

OverMyHead

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: La Mirada, CA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:16 AM

I am currently getting started on this adventure with a Celestron 8" Edge SCT and AVX mount. I'm about to take my first lunar images with a Skyris 445C. Knowing that i won't be satisfied with lunar and planetary shots for long, i am wondering if this will eventually work as a guide camera? Would this work with an OAG behind the Edge Reducer? So many questions - i dont even know where to begin.

Thanks in advance!

#2 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:32 PM

Can it work, yes.  Will it be optimal, perhaps no.

I started out with a Skyris 236C, partly "knowing" that it could work as a guider, but not really understanding what that meant.  After upgrading to a DSLR for imaging and adding a guide scope, I moved the Skyris to that role.  It did work, but it was not optimal.  Eventually I replaced the Skyris with a purpose-built guide camera, the ZWO ASI174MM Mini, and am much happier with its performance.

Since you already have the camera, my advice is to go ahead and use it, then figure out if its performance is adequate for your needs.  If not, its deficiencies should become evident, suggesting what sort of camera specs would perhaps work better.  No point replacing it until you know what you need to replace it with.  My issues were sensitivity and field of view, as my guide scope is relatively long and dim (80mm f/7.5), and a mono camera is usually a better match for guiding than color.  Your situation could certainly be different, as an OAG setup has different constraints and requirements.

• OverMyHead likes this

#3 OverMyHead

OverMyHead

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: La Mirada, CA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:12 AM

Can it work, yes.  Will it be optimal, perhaps no.

I started out with a Skyris 236C, partly "knowing" that it could work as a guider, but not really understanding what that meant.  After upgrading to a DSLR for imaging and adding a guide scope, I moved the Skyris to that role.  It did work, but it was not optimal.  Eventually I replaced the Skyris with a purpose-built guide camera, the ZWO ASI174MM Mini, and am much happier with its performance.

Since you already have the camera, my advice is to go ahead and use it, then figure out if its performance is adequate for your needs.  If not, its deficiencies should become evident, suggesting what sort of camera specs would perhaps work better.  No point replacing it until you know what you need to replace it with.  My issues were sensitivity and field of view, as my guide scope is relatively long and dim (80mm f/7.5), and a mono camera is usually a better match for guiding than color.  Your situation could certainly be different, as an OAG setup has different constraints and requirements.

Thanks Greg! I appreciate the response. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics