•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nikon DSLR camera body selection and de-filtering issue

imaging
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 alpheratz06

alpheratz06

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:35 AM

Hello ,there

I'm a recent retiree with plenty of spare time, so I decided to dig a little bit deeper in astrophoto.

I have a good equatorial mount, and a life collection of Nikon camera (i'm a photo addict) and lenses. I don't have any astro-dedicated optics at the moment.

Let go to the question:

I would like to test some imaging, and I was considering to get an astro-dedicated camera body, that is to say, defiltered and (possibly) re-filtered.

I have basically two possibilities :

a) either buy a recent body in APS-C format (like D5600 or D7500) and refilter it with a filter compatible with day use or

b) defilter (and in that case why refiltering?) an "old" body i don't really use so much. Could be a D200 or D300 or even D700 . This body would be used only for astrophoto, so no need to put a compatibility filter

My question is : is there a big difference of image quality in astro conditions (higher ISO, long exposure,..) between up to date nikon sensors (such those implemented in D5600 or D7500 )  and older sensors (like in D300/D700) . I remember the D200 was quite noisy in dark conditions, but sensors did evolved quite a lot , i remember the quality gap between D200 and D300.

Any idea / opinion / experience would be greatly appreciated, especially from people owning Nikon bodies , defiltered or not

Regards

Jean-Philippe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics