•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Duh. I forgot. Is a dew heater usually necessary...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 13 November 2019 - 12:39 PM

...at the Winter Star Party?

It's been 2 years since I've attended...

Dave

• retroman2 likes this

#2 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:08 PM

What scope?  SCT’s and refractors are a definite yes.  A DOB may only require an occasional touch of a 12 volt hair dryer.  But it’s Florida, it can sometimes be worse.

• retroman2 and Astroman007 like this

#3 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:26 PM

TEC 160 refractor.....  So mostly yes, then.....

Thanks

Dave

#4 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:18 PM

In Florida the dew point is usually fairly high and of course the humidity is always high so you really have to prepare for heavy dew on almost any night - especially after midnight.

• jcj380 likes this

#5 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:01 PM

Ditto on that. 2 trips to WSP and 2 trips to Chiefland. My secondary and focuser to my 18" is homemade using a resistor string. Lower power than the strip heaters, it still clears a foggy secondary in 5 minutes using the 12 volt homemade variable heater. The 10" in the Sonotube, not much of a problem. I got piddled on in my dome when I shot Eta Carinae and the Jewel box there from the condensation. The focuser girdle hasn't been used since I've been using a CCD camera. The heat produced by the CCD camera keeps the field flattener cleared. The 60 mm refractor has a girdle for the primary. I used that as a guide scope when I shot some wide southern stuff with my medium format camera at the 2002 WSP using the ST-4 autoguider. 

Joe

#6 DeanS

DeanS

Skylab

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:50 AM

Usually at WSP there is enough breeze to keep things dry.  But when it calms down things can get wet pretty fast.  Take a dew strap for sure.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics