•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

From 70 to the low 20's

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 13 November 2019 - 02:50 PM

It was 70 degrees here in central NC one day ago, and it was 22 degrees this morning. My old body can not stand a change that much so quickly. When it is 100 degrees, I can not wait for cold weather, but when it is this cold, I can not wait for warmer weather. If I were as serious as some of you, and spend lots of time setting up my scope and planning a long viewing session, I would probably just quit during those two times. But it seems that the Spring and Fall seasons do not exist much anymore, it just goes from the frying pan to the ice box, I can remember those seasons lasting for a while when I was young.

• jeremiah2229 likes this

#2 Martin

Martin

Viking 1

• Loc: South Dakota

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:00 PM

Yes. I agree. We went from summer to winter here in South Dakota. We started to warm up yesterday, so its more average now, but our fall was really nonexistent this year. It has snowed about 5 times now since the beginning of October. Never even got the chance to rake leaves this year. Maybe this weekend it might be possible and might even get some observing in on Friday night if it stays clear.

Martin

#3 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

In summer I often go from 100+ while running in the Valley in the late afternoon/early evening to around 50 degrees in the mountains a few hours later.  50 degree delta's aren't unusual for the elevation and temp change from valley in afternoon to mountain at night.  It gets tougher observing when temps on the mountain drop into the low 20's or teens or even colder.  Add in the inevitable breeze and the comfort level declines further. 

I was traveling and in St. Louis for this storm, so at 5 in the morning I was driving on ice and salted roads, then pumping gas at 12 F in a howling wind.  I hate winter, always have.  But the wind reminded me that a big part of dealing with the cold is being adequately dressed, and that is hard to do when you are getting ready to board a plane and can't adequately layer.  Observing at 12 F is not pleasant as far as comfort goes, but it is far more comfortable than I was yesterday morning...

#4 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:49 PM

Because the Sun is closer to Earth this time of year of course. They'll tell you it's angles. 

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:11 PM

That's just typical fall/winter weather in Colorado...

#6 Illinois

Illinois

Gemini

• Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:31 AM

I live on farm field is nice that I can see low Mercury. I don't mind as cold as 10 degrees but I don't like windy! Open field is nice but easy get windy. Hard to look at Jupiter at 200 power during 15 to 20 mph wind. Plan to add mini homemade wall to block the wind!

• airbleeder likes this

#7 Migwan

Migwan

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:46 AM

The fall warmth has not been unusual up here, but what ever happened to the two or three weeks with highs in the 60s in mid to late October.  In the past I always waited for this period to take the gardens down, it being more pleasant for all the manual labor involved.  The last decade or so, we've gone from the 70s or higher right into the 50s or lower. 

This year's change of season was particularly bad.  We've had a 4" and a 5" snowfall already.  The first occurring with leaves still hanging in some the trees.  Didn't even get to vacuum them up and had to plow them with the snow.  That really felt odd.  Leaf covered snow?

jd

#8 grif 678

grif 678

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:58 AM

I live on farm field is nice that I can see low Mercury. I don't mind as cold as 10 degrees but I don't like windy! Open field is nice but easy get windy. Hard to look at Jupiter at 200 power during 15 to 20 mph wind. Plan to add mini homemade wall to block the wind!

If it is not very cold ,I prefer a light breeze, that keeps the dew from forming on the lenses, But those nights are rare now, long ago they were pretty numerous. I remember as a kid, it seemed that there were so many nights you could go out on a short sleeve shirt, not too cold, not too hot, just right, but maybe that was because the young body could stand the temps better.

#9 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:13 AM

We went from -16F Monday morning for the transit of Mercury to +52F yesterday.  I have noticed spring and fall have become extensions of winter.  Clear nights went from 2 or 3 per week to 2 per month.

#10 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:24 PM

I remember quail hunting as a kid in short sleeves on Christmas day. I also remember wearing so many layers of clothing I had trouble shouldering my 410 single barrel. I have bass fished shirtless and shorts, then woke the next morning to 15" of snow. Weather changes. We change.

As for myself, short sleeve weather yesteryear might be long sleeves or a hoodie now. Maybe it's that we spend more sedentary time indoors, so the weather affects us more which leads us to remember (or yearn for) those warm sunny days of a distant past.

#11 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 16 November 2019 - 05:07 AM

Over the last few years I have set myself a low temperature limit. It has to be at least a few degrees above freezing for me to go to our local observing site.

I'm done with holding my breath when at the eyepiece to prevent it fogging, as well as dressing like I was going on an Everest expedition.

If I'm not having fun, then what's the point...

• airbleeder and BFaucett like this

#12 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:37 AM

I agree. If it isn't fun, why bother if it's just a hobby?

Edited by airbleeder, 16 November 2019 - 09:39 AM.

• BFaucett likes this

#13 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

Around the low 20's is my temperature limit as well. To be honest though, I like bundling up with a million layers and sitting outside at the telescope. Since everyone else is bundled up in their own homes it's usually very quiet. I like that.

The past couple years I've heard more and more people complain about how cold it is in the fall, but I remember only 4-5 years ago there were a couple weeks in December where everyone was walking around in shorts. Come to think of it, yesterday I was outside in shorts and a t-shirt while the sun was up, and then at night I had four layers on. It's kind of strange..

• Redbetter likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics