•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

stellarium or cartes du ciel landscape question, directions off in the panorama, applied image?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 markm75c

markm75c

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 03:43 PM

I wasnt sure the best place to ask this one...

I've followed a few tutorials on creating a panoramic background for stellarium to overlay for the view (the local horizon with trees etc).

For the most part it worked, except now after loading it has the positioning of the directions wrong above the horizon.

Is there a way to fix this? I thought i read somewhere that there might be a way in a file to have it automatically adjust somehow, or do i need to redo the pano with the camera starting from a certain position (IE: maybe true south or just south and work westward?)

EDIT: i believe it may simply be "angle_rotatez=160.0" where the 160 in my case was the value i had to use to move the axis around on the image.

Not sure if a similar fix exists for cartes du ciel

Thanks in advance

Edited by markm75c, 14 November 2019 - 12:08 AM.

#2 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:18 PM

Yep there is an easy XML setting that probably does this.

Instead I just edit one image file and replace it for Mars landscape instead.

Then you make due West in the very center of the image.

Details here:

https://www.cloudyni...here/?p=9722982

remember you can use a PNG image file [preserves alpha transparency] and alter the transparency of the ground or trees to know what isn't seen yet but have an idea of what is about to rise.....

• markm75c likes this

#3 markm75c

markm75c

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

Yep there is an easy XML setting that probably does this.

Instead I just edit one image file and replace it for Mars landscape instead.

Then you make due West in the very center of the image.

Details here:

https://www.cloudyni...here/?p=9722982

remember you can use a PNG image file [preserves alpha transparency] and alter the transparency of the ground or trees to know what isn't seen yet but have an idea of what is about to rise.....

Thanks,

I also solved it with the "angle_rotatez=185.0" where the 185 in my case was the value i had to use to move the axis around on the image.

I guess i'd also like to find a similar setting for cartes du ciel if one exists.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics