•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sh2-224 in Auriga

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Pete_xl

Pete_xl

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:00 PM

The supernova remnant Sh2-224 in Auriga really is a challenging target. It is soooo dim! I spent about 14 hours imaging time for this HOO-RGB:

49060799138_d776748374_b.jpg

Sh2-224 in Auriga by pete_xl, auf Flickr

Full resolution and data on Astrobin:

get.jpg?insecure

The telescope used was the 130/910 mm TS Photoline apo with 0.79x reducer and the ASI1600mmp attached.

106 x 300s Ha

57 x 300s OIII

25 x 30s R/G/B for the stars

Pete

Edited by Pete_xl, 13 November 2019 - 04:18 PM.

• Stelios, Gregory, Joe F Gafford and 24 others like this

#2 AKHalea

AKHalea

Apollo

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:16 PM

Peter : Another fabulous image with lots of details and beautiful colors. You are on a roll! Keep up the good work and continue to share them! I love to see you wonderful work ..... Anil

Edited by AKHalea, 13 November 2019 - 04:16 PM.

• PirateMike likes this

#3 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:27 PM

Peter : Another fabulous image with lots of details and beautiful colors. You are on a roll! Keep up the good work and continue to share them! I love to see you wonderful work ..... Anil

I second the motion!

Miguel   8-)

#4 Bloated Star

Bloated Star

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arcadia, OK

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:59 PM

I recently imaged this object along with Sh2-223. Yours is much better!!! Great work indeed! I did it in HaRGB and now wish I’d gotten some OIII data.

#5 astrovienna

astrovienna

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 13 November 2019 - 11:16 PM

Pete, that is absolutely fantastic.  You really pulled all the detail out of that one.  Great work. 

Kevin

#6 astroian

astroian

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Swindon, UK

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:13 AM

That’s a great image. Lovely colours that are vibrant but not cartoonish.

Cheers,
Ian

#7 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• Loc: Stafford, VA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:01 AM

It's like a neon light in parts!  I love it!  You did an amazing job!

#8 Pete_xl

Pete_xl

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:04 AM

Hi Anil, Miguel, Bloated Star, Kevin, Ian and Sean, glad you like it! I really did not expect get such a result shooting from my balcony in the village. This motivates me to go and look for an even darker target....wink.gif

Pete

#9 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:33 PM

That's brilliant Pete, wonderful result with your APO. Also from your balcony makes this result even better :waytogo:

#10 Pete_xl

Pete_xl

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:27 AM

That's brilliant Pete, wonderful result with your APO. Also from your balcony makes this result even better waytogo.gif

Thanks al lot Mert! It's not so dark on my balcony , I have a streetlight 20 m away in SW direction on the same hight level and every few years they build a new girdle of houses around our little town from E to SW so I am quite surrounded from lights sources meanwhile. But the Scope is fixed in place on a pier in a shed and always ready to shoot. This helps bringing enough photons onto the sensor.

Cheers

Pete

#11 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:14 AM

Hi Pete,

You are really on fire! I'm impressed on how quickly you gather photons and process. Do you sleep or are a vampire? ;)

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

#12 AKHalea

AKHalea

Apollo

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:38 AM

Thanks al lot Mert! It's not so dark on my balcony , I have a streetlight 20 m away in SW direction on the same hight level and every few years they build a new girdle of houses around our little town from E to SW so I am quite surrounded from lights sources meanwhile. But the Scope is fixed in place on a pier in a shed and always ready to shoot. This helps bringing enough photons onto the sensor.

Cheers

Pete

Wow! That is amazing that you were able to capture this faint nebula with all that LP around you AND from the Balcony! I think the long integration times you are able to get and your superb processing skills help that nebulosity shine thru. 

Curious to find out what kind of LP zone are you in - Bortle 5/6? What is the estimated SqM reading for your skies where you shoot? Reason I ask is that I am in Bortle zone 7/8 (SqM of ~18 at zenith). I thought I would not be able to get anything on such faint targets due to high LP. Cheers ..... Anil

#13 Pete_xl

Pete_xl

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 06:37 AM

Wow! That is amazing that you were able to capture this faint nebula with all that LP around you AND from the Balcony! I think the long integration times you are able to get and your superb processing skills help that nebulosity shine thru. 

Curious to find out what kind of LP zone are you in - Bortle 5/6? What is the estimated SqM reading for your skies where you shoot? Reason I ask is that I am in Bortle zone 7/8 (SqM of ~18 at zenith). I thought I would not be able to get anything on such faint targets due to high LP. Cheers ..... Anil

HI Anil,

I am situated in a yellow zone surrounded by green. In 20 km away to north and south are bigger cities (red). With my Smartphone SQM app I measure 20.5 at the zenith in good nights but do not know how reliable that is. But that value is consistent with results I got evaluating my dslr images with the method of Samir Kharusi some years ago. Is there a method or a source to derive / measure reliable SQM values without expensive equiopment?

I feel quite restricted shooting RGB but with NB imaging that I do since one year it feels like shooting just through the LP and the haze as if it weren't there :-)

Cheers Pete

LP Ascheberg#1.jpg

LP-Ascheberg_LI.jpg

#14 Pete_xl

Pete_xl

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 06:46 AM

...you are really on fire! I'm impressed on how quickly you gather photons and process. Do you sleep or are a vampire? wink.gif

Hi Alberto,

we do not have too many clear nights here. But I have the setup ready to shoot on the pier in the shed outside and I am quite fast in processing. And I use APT, an MGEN and an MFOC that support my sleep. And I have a vibrating wrist alarm watch that wakes me up at median flip time because I do not fully trust the APT/MGEN auto flipping routine. I do not worry about possible damages because APT stops the operations if anything goes wrong with the flipping. But I do not want to waste frames when an error occurs while I am in bed.

So YES I do sleep and NO I am not a vampire grin.gif

• H-Alfa likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics