•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Eyepieces for Meade 10

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ChiChi03

ChiChi03

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:04 PM

What eyepieces do you all recommend for a Meade LX 10 8Inch SCT....I want to look at planets and Galaxies and Nebula. Thanks so much for advise

#2 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:07 PM

Good ones ranging from 6mm to 40mm.  You get what you pay for with eyepieces, so let price and your budget be your guide.

• havasman likes this

#3 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:57 PM

If you wear glasses you may want long eye relief eyepieces. There are basic plossls for $30-40 each. From there you can pay more to upgrade eye relief, wide viewing angle, or quality.

Scott

#4 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:15 PM

What's your budget? What are you using now, what are you seeing and why do they need replacing? What are your observing conditions and experience level? All these factor heavily into a good proposal for you.

Working in your favor is how well your f10 scope will work with good, simpler eyepieces that are less expensive. Often it's complexity and not essentially quality that drives cost.

Edited by havasman, 13 November 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#5 Viktorious

Viktorious

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:21 PM

Agenaastro has a decent guide with a case study for an 8" f/10 SCT agenaguide. A good thing to look at is the exit pupil. Simply calculated by dividing the focal length of the eyepiece by the focal ratio of the telescope, this is especially easy when the telescope is f/10 smile.gif. This focal ratio is also easier on the eyepiece but otherwise as stated, you get what you pay for and more specifics are needed tongue2.gif.

The decent summary from agenaastro:

• A longer focal length eyepiece that gives low magnification, and which has an exit pupil of about 3-5mm
  • A medium focal length eyepiece that gives an exit pupil of about 1.7mm to 1.8mm
  • A short focal length eyepiece that gives a high magnification (about 30x to 40x per inch of aperture for each telescope) and an exit pupil of about 0.7mm 

For f/10 SCTs, with personal comments:

• For 3-5mm exit pupil you would like to go into the world of 2" eyepieces (don't know what diagonal you have now but this would be another thing). Largest true field of view for 1.25" given by a 32mm Plössl (~50° AFOV) or some 24mm with 68° AFOV.
    • Large exit pupil is nice for the larger FOV, good for observing nebula with filters. 
  • If using 2" accessories (i.e. choosing low power eyepiece to get ~4mm exit pupil) then the medium focal length could instead be something that gives 2-2.5mm exit pupil. For 1.25" where instead the 24mm could be the low power choice then here the 17-18mm is a good medium.
    • This medium exit pupil is nice for DSOs, by lowering the exit pupil the background light is lowered so contrast is better.
  • For the high magnification (planet eyepiece) I would probably stay above 0.8mm (personally).

Three eyepieces should be a decent start, you can build from there. Of course there are also the zooms, I have the Baader myself and am pleased. Other than that I am looking to get an ES 24mm 68° as my next eyepiece for that maximum FOV with 1.25", just waiting to see if there will be some sale.

Edited by Viktorious, 13 November 2019 - 08:26 PM.

#6 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:06 AM

Understanding Telescope Eyepieces- There are recommendations, based on budget, but the meat of the article is about understanding the issues when selecting eyepieces.
https://telescopicwa...cope-eyepieces/

Eyepieces can cost $40 each or they can be $400 each.  What is your total budget for this first eyepiece purchase? 

• $100? 
  • $500?
  • $1000?

Does it have a 1.25" or a 2" diagonal?

Edited by aeajr, 14 November 2019 - 12:06 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics