•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Absolutely, Utterly Incredible Find!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:58 PM

...and at my local Goodwill...

Orion 4.5 StarBlast EQ2.jpg

It has an awfully small secondary hub.  I think I saw an equally-small mirror as well, but now I'm not so sure.  It's at f/4, therefore I should've seen the mirror, and like a proverbial sore-thumb.  Maybe it's missing.

Orion 4.5 StarBlast EQ3.jpg

...an Orion "StarBlast" 4.5 EQ.  I simply adore where that slow-motion cable was attached.

The price seems reasonable, quite so, especially if the secondary-mirror is actually there...

Orion 4.5 StarBlast EQ.jpg

I already have an EQ-1 mount, and a 100mm f/4, therefore I didn't buy it.  I would love to have that counterweight though, as the one that came with my EQ-1 is almost twice as large, and for my "Bird Jones".

What makes this such a stunningly incredible find is the fact that the folks around here are just like my own family at home: they only look up into the sky to see if it's going to rain, or if a bird had just flown overhead.

But then, perhaps someone locally did purchase it, but never could figure it out.  Alas, I'll never know.

If it sits there long enough, I might make an offer.  Now, if the tube was white, and with "Parks" emblazoned thereupon...

• jmclaugh2001 and bbqediguana like this

#2 Star Geezer

Star Geezer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lat. 38º42'N Long. 104º42'W

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:27 AM

Both of my Starblast's I picked up at the flea market. The first was the table top model. The second on an eq for spare parts. Total cost $30. This is my most recent incredible find - https://www.cloudyni...eade/?p=9761953

• Sky Muse likes this

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:04 AM

I don't know if it is all that incredible a find.   I see similar scopes on Craigslist for prices not so different from this. It is a reasonable price though. 

Here is an Astromaster 130 for $95, and I bet an email offer of $75 would make it mine...

https://austin.craig...994059076.html 

These scopes are easy to find used on popular on-line classified apps, and I do concede that this might be slightly cheaper than some sell for, I routinely see scopes like this offered at prices that are not so different.

Now, incredible ones are where they are listing the telescopes for 2 x 3 times what they are worth. I do believe though that  PT Barnam was right, and there is a sucker born every minute, and that some of those insanely priced scopes sell for far more than they are worth.  That is less true today with the internet, most shoppers can quickly ascertain what is reasonably, unreasonable, and incredible. 

• Sky Muse likes this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:02 AM

Now, incredible ones are where they are listing the telescopes for 2 x 3 times what they are worth. I do believe though that  PT Barnam was right, and there is a sucker born every minute, and that some of those insanely priced scopes sell for far more than they are worth.

There is a Meade 4600 on the local Craigslist for $600..

Regarding the Starblast:

If it were at my local Goodwill for $70, I would have jumped on it. Not quite like an RV-6 for $40 but a good scope that I would enjoy for a while. 

Jon

• Sky Muse likes this

#5 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:19 AM

I picked up a fully functional 8" Dob at a Goodwill once for $75. I yelled to my wife "START THE CAR! START THE CAR!" smile.gif

NewStar 8" Dob

Edited by bbqediguana, 14 November 2019 - 11:20 AM.

• Mastercope, Binojunky, Sky Muse and 10 others like this

#6 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:17 PM

I don't know if it is all that incredible a find.   I see similar scopes on Craigslist for prices not so different from this. It is a reasonable price though. 

Here is an Astromaster 130 for $95, and I bet an email offer of $75 would make it mine...

https://austin.craig...994059076.html 

These scopes are easy to find used on popular on-line classified apps, and I do concede that this might be slightly cheaper than some sell for, I routinely see scopes like this offered at prices that are not so different.

Now, incredible ones are where they are listing the telescopes for 2 x 3 times what they are worth. I do believe though that  PT Barnam was right, and there is a sucker born every minute, and that some of those insanely priced scopes sell for far more than they are worth.  That is less true today with the internet, most shoppers can quickly ascertain what is reasonably, unreasonable, and incredible. 

When I walked into the door of that Goodwill, I would've expected to have seen an Olympic-size, above-ground pool kit, instead of that Orion; or a 50"+ television.  It was verily as though that Orion kit had landed from another planet.  You simply don't see that sort of thing hereabouts.  That's what makes it so incredible.

I didn't find this so extraordinary at the time, some months ago, and at the same location... 

Meade Digital17.jpg

Now, that didn't surprise me at all; and the scary thing about it is, is that it's no longer there.  "Did someone buy it?", I shuddered.  Upon the thought, I felt like running out the door, shouting "NOOOOOOOO!!!"

Edited by Sky Muse, 14 November 2019 - 01:07 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and bbqediguana like this

#7 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:18 PM

There is a Meade 4600 on the local Craigslist for $600..

Regarding the Starblast:

If it were at my local Goodwill for $70, I would have jumped on it. Not quite like an RV-6 for $40 but a good scope that I would enjoy for a while. 

Jon

It might not go anywhere anytime soon; and after all, it is fully collimatable.  I would fix it up for a relation.

• Diana N likes this

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:26 PM

It might not go anywhere anytime soon; and after all, it is fully collimatable.  I would fix it up for a relation.

I have had a couple of the Meade 4.5 F/8s on an EQ mount.  Not bad scopes for $60.  They ended up with someone else as a gift.

Jon

• Diana N and Sky Muse like this

#9 Diana N

Diana N

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:28 PM

I'd buy that scope, rehab it (with the aid of several of my fellow astronomy club members) and then gift it to a worthy young person.  Cleaned up a bit and given some TLC, it would make a nice beginner's scope.

• Jon Isaacs and Sky Muse like this

#10 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:50 PM

I have had a couple of the Meade 4.5 F/8s on an EQ mount.  Not bad scopes for $60.  They ended up with someone else as a gift.

Jon

I would need to place Loctite on all the screws after collimating it.  I would also feel the need to J-B Weld the mount-head into an alt-azimuth mode of operation.

Edited by Sky Muse, 14 November 2019 - 01:12 PM.

#11 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:59 PM

I'd buy that scope, rehab it (with the aid of several of my fellow astronomy club members) and then gift it to a worthy young person.  Cleaned up a bit and given some TLC, it would make a nice beginner's scope.

Actually, it appears to be brand-new, albeit missing a slow-motion cable and the collimation-cap that Orion specifies to be included with their kits.

If the secondary-mirror is missing, it's a brick.  I couldn't get close enough to it to inspect it properly.  It was within that area where they keep their "treasures"...

Meade Digital14b.jpg

I didn't want to lean over the counter, from the narrow side of same, and "tump" it over. blush.gif

#12 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

I went by there yesterday, out of curiosity.  It's...

...gone.  Somebody bought it.  I hope it suits them.  At f/4, it's going to be interesting. 

#13 Sky_LO

Sky_LO

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:53 AM

Alrighty....I think I got a marvelous find as well.....

Drum Roll Please...…..

New in Celestron Box (turns out it is three years old but never used) Celestron Nexstar SE 6 go to  -complete with mount/ and hand controller, 2x barlow, 4 plossels, instruction manual, warranty cards, software download info all bagged/ never opened. 

Just pristine.  Just like I just got it off amazon.          

These go for $799 New, and about $500 routinely on craigs list...…..

Picked mine up on Craig's list for $150    

Had to drive two hours to Portland to get it.  

Yes, I was wondering the whole way if it was too good to be true, or whether it would be worth the drive.  

It totally was worth the drive !   

I am VERY happy with this find. 

My 10 inch Dob puts up better views of course,

but this telescope has decent views and the go to is a ton of fun. 

I felt exactly like  bbqediguana....hand over the money..... and start the car and drive away fast !!!!!  

-Lauren   

Edited by Sky_LO, 20 November 2019 - 02:05 AM.

• Asbytec likes this

#14 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:37 AM

I picked up a fully functional 8" Dob at a Goodwill once for $75. I yelled to my wife "START THE CAR! START THE CAR!" smile.gif

Its a Newstar, Eftonsciences house brand now sadly closed, I had a couple of their scopes over the years including the dob you have, D.

• bbqediguana likes this

#15 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:46 AM

Its a Newstar, Eftonsciences house brand now sadly closed, I had a couple of their scopes over the years including the dob you have, D.

Yeah, its actually a pretty nice little Dob. I also have a 70mm f/10 achromat that is also pretty good. I think all their stuff was Synta-sourced.

• SpaceRocks likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics