•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Willmann-Bell or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Packaging

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:17 AM

My copy of the Uranometria came in today - straight from Willmann-Bell. It was packed so well, I'm sure it'd survive re-entry. Here are some photos to show how serious these guys are about getting your book to you intact - 

20191113_183627.jpg 20191113_183832.jpg 20191113_183754.jpg

• George N, Carl Kolchak, retroman2 and 2 others like this

#2 BradFran

BradFran

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:38 AM

Packed better than the pizza! Some eBay dealers would re-use the pizza carton, with the grease as a free bonus!

• retroman2 likes this

#3 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:58 AM

Packed better than the pizza! Some eBay dealers would re-use the pizza carton, with the grease as a free bonus!

Oh no, no skimping on the packaging from these guys - that box was actually so tightly glued & taped together that i couldn't even slide that knife you see in the pictures underneath the gued down flap. That's when I decided I had to tear the box itself apart. 

• James S. and Astroman007 like this

#4 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:22 AM

LOVE buying from them, wish they could teach others how to pack!

• BradFran and Astroman007 like this

#5 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:23 AM

Good to know.

I'll be ordering both volumes of Uranometria, and maybe another book, some time soon.

#6 Alex_V

Alex_V

Vostok 1

• Loc: GTA, ON, Canada

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:54 AM

Good to know.

I'll be ordering both volumes of Uranometria, and maybe another book, some time soon.

Unfortunate, but their shipping prices to Canada is more than cost of the books ($36USD).

• RogerLaureys, BillShort, dawziecat and 1 other like this

#7 jpcampbell

jpcampbell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Quebec

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:09 PM

Unfortunate, but their shipping prices to Canada is more than cost of the books ($36USD).

Yes, for orders outside of the United States the shipping prices are prohibitive unless buying bulk. Months ago I went to their site hoping to order "The Arp Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies" but was shocked that the shipping was as much as the book itself. It would have cost me just over $100 CAD. Then I walked into my local astronomy dealer and found it there at a reasonable $55 CAD. I was overjoyed. Since the dealer buys bulk from them, they can keep the prices reasonable.

• RogerLaureys and dawziecat like this

#8 dawziecat

dawziecat

Gemini

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

Yes, shipping books to Canada really hurts! Whatever happened to "book rate" anyway? frown.gif

Vol. 7 of Deep Sky Annals is out. But I have to be patient. I'll wait until two vols. are out as shipping two is a bargain compared to twice the shipping for one. So, another year's wait for me getting vols. 7 & 8 I guess. 

• Alex_V likes this

#9 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 15 November 2019 - 03:14 AM

They are the best packers.,lol.,I got the Interstellium field guide from Amazon.,a $100 book and they shipped it in a bubble bag.,same as they do a $3 used book.,the cover was torn and 30 or so pages were creased and the binding was bent.,it went back.,which was ok by me.,the "guide" was nothing more than a pretty picture book.,but yes.,Willman Bell know how to package a book.,lol.,cheers.,

#10 Alex_V

Alex_V

Vostok 1

• Loc: GTA, ON, Canada

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:46 AM

Yes, shipping books to Canada really hurts! Whatever happened to "book rate" anyway? frown.gif

Vol. 7 of Deep Sky Annals is out. But I have to be patient. I'll wait until two vols. are out as shipping two is a bargain compared to twice the shipping for one. So, another year's wait for me getting vols. 7 & 8 I guess. 

It's approximately what I'm doing. I'm shipping books from WB or others (like Amazon.com) to my friends in Pennsylvania, which is for WB only $1, and picking up it when we meet. Still have to pick up 7 books, two of them Annals nos 5 and 6.

Regarding packaging. A couples of years ago, I've ordered 5th edition of Bok's Milky Way from book seller in UK. Book arrived in just a tightly packed thin plastic bag, which is obviously teared in edges. Originally the book was as new, very good edition on thick bright paper, but was siting in post box for some time and eventually got wet. Book is ruined. I wish I've got the packaging as WB does.

Edited by Alex_V, 15 November 2019 - 09:13 AM.

#11 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:54 AM

My copy of the Uranometria came in today - straight from Willmann-Bell. It was packed so well, I'm sure it'd survive re-entry.

No kidding. I recently acquired a copy of Epic Moon by Sheehan and Dobbins from them. I swear that package was bulletproof!

• clearwaterdave likes this

#12 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:32 PM

Always a pleasure to buy from Willmann-Bell, as I never have to worry about damage during shipment.

Drives me nuts whenever other sellers ship a heavy book in an envelope instead of a cardboard box--9 times out of 10 the book will arrive damaged.
  • desertstars, checcocpb and BradFran like this

#13 Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox

Ranger 4

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:33 PM

I have been a customer of theirs for quite a number of years and excellent customer service, including packing an order, has always been great!

• BoldAxis1967 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics