•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

No link to mount. Stand alone mode.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GoJoep

GoJoep

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:28 AM

Tl;Dr does anybody have a schematic for the internal motor controller board? A way too test if it is still functioning? A cheap source for a new board?

I recently bought a used Skywatcher EQ6 and it worked well for several nights. A few days ago I started getting the error "No link to mount. Stand alone mode" when I turn on my system. I noticed that the cable between the handpiece and mount was damaged and a few of the wires were shorting. Even after fixing the cable I still get the same error.

I believe the 12v line may have touched the Rx or Tx lines and damaged either the handpiece or the control board. Other forums make it sound like damage to the internal board is more likely. Does anybody know a good way to test if the damage is on the handpiece or internal controller?

I pulled out the mount circuit board and traced the Rx line to two chips that have a sticker covering the serial number so I can't identify them or test them. The other components all seem to be working correctly. Any ideas?

I don't have access to another mount or handpiece but I'm an electrical engineer so I have access to most tools I might need at work.

Thanks in advance.

#2 cmooney91

cmooney91

Vostok 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:44 AM

If all else fails, you could convert it to OnStep. It's an open source telescope stepper motor controller based off of Aurdunio and high quality 3D printer stepper drives.

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:30 AM

Or use eqmod - can leave hand controller out (if that's the fault).

#4 GoJoep

GoJoep

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 November 2019 - 05:13 PM

OnStep looks like a good option. Thanks for the suggestion.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics