•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DSC computer vs SkySafari

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 betacygni

betacygni

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:06 AM

In the process of adding digital setting circles to my new mount, and was thinking about the best option for the computer portion. I’ve briefly used SkySafari for this purpose stand alone (such as with the Nexus wifi module), but wondering what if any benefit there is to using a dedicated DSC computer such as the Nexus? I’m thinking there must be some advantages to it vs just using a tablet/phone with SkySafari, but having trouble thinking up what those might be. Wondering what people’s experiences are in this regard, and the pros/cons of the two options.

#2 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:10 AM

What mount?  I'm pretty sure it does NOT work with Astro-Physics mounts.......

I'm a Nexus fan.  The vast catalogs - 2.5 million objects, more than you could view in 100 lifetimes.

Built in GPS, very simple to align.

Useable while wearing gloves.  I tap the buttons with the eraser end of a pencil.

Efficient # of keystrokes to enter an object, especially if you stay within one catalog.  e.g. if you are in the NGC catalog and have just finished viewing NGC 1234, to go to NGC 2345 you just push 2345 and go.  This marries well with entering objects from written lists or from books...

Ability to make user-defined lists....

Battery lasts multiple evenings, even in the cold.  Red screen is dimmable and doesn't hurt your night vision..

Sky Safari  is also very good and has the advantage of screen tapping any object and hitting 'go'..... however its "red" screen is still quite bright since the blacks are not really black...has an almost unlimited capacity for user-defined lists..can't tap anything on the screen with gloves on....screen very vulnerable to dewing up...

Dave

• Roger Corbett likes this

#3 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:15 AM

I use SkySafari and the Nexus II device with:

- A "Push-To"  ALT-AZ mount with encoders

Once the mount is LEVEL and star aliment is done, manually moving the scope/mount shows up on my Android tablet tuning SkySafari 6.. Makes it very easy to identify faint deep space objects. 

- A "Goto-To" ALT-AZ Tracking mount.

Once the mount is LEVEL and star aliment is done, I can select an object in SkySafari and the mount will move & track to that object .Great when using a long focal length scope.

#4 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Messenger

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:17 PM

+1 Nexus fan. Bar none there is nothing out there better than the Nexus unit. Learning curve is small and setup is easy. 

As mentioned you can use the Nexus with gloves and its database is huge. Nexus wont ruin your night vision and the screen is very easy to read. Not to mention all important information on the object is easily accessible with the push of a button.

Nexus creator is always updating and improving firmware and constantly adding new catalogs to the database.

Nexus is a self dedicated unit that creates its own Wi-Fi network that is also compatible with many of the planner programs like Skytools and Deep Sky Planner for example. You can store observing plans on a micro SD card and then call them up when observing. 

Nexus is not cheap, but it is well worth every penny. 

Put it simply, there is nothing you cant do with Nexus.  

#5 tag1260

tag1260

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:08 PM

I use Sky Safari and an old white Sky Commander. Works well.

• Retsub likes this

#6 Jason D

Jason D

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: California

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:39 AM

I use Sky Commander with Stellarium via a custom bluetooth unit and a custom interface software. 

Jason 

#7 vsteblina

vsteblina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:28 PM

In the process of adding digital setting circles to my new mount, and was thinking about the best option for the computer portion. I’ve briefly used SkySafari for this purpose stand alone (such as with the Nexus wifi module), but wondering what if any benefit there is to using a dedicated DSC computer such as the Nexus? I’m thinking there must be some advantages to it vs just using a tablet/phone with SkySafari, but having trouble thinking up what those might be. Wondering what people’s experiences are in this regard, and the pros/cons of the two options.

I have been using the Tangent DSC for almost 30 years now.

I did buy a copy of Sky Safari for $40 for my IPAD.  At less than five years....Apple upgraded the operating system and Sky Safari quit working.  To be fair, several other apps that I paid $40 plus also quit working at that time.

It better be under $10 bucks for me to buy a specialized app these days.

#8 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:47 AM

+1 Nexus fan. Bar none there is nothing out there better than the Nexus unit. Learning curve is small and setup is easy. 

As mentioned you can use the Nexus with gloves and its database is huge. Nexus wont ruin your night vision and the screen is very easy to read. Not to mention all important information on the object is easily accessible with the push of a button.

Nexus creator is always updating and improving firmware and constantly adding new catalogs to the database.

Nexus is a self dedicated unit that creates its own Wi-Fi network that is also compatible with many of the planner programs like Skytools and Deep Sky Planner for example. You can store observing plans on a micro SD card and then call them up when observing. 

Nexus is not cheap, but it is well worth every penny. 

Put it simply, there is nothing you cant do with Nexus.  

I use both at times, hooking my tablet to NexusDSC -- but mostly for imaging with a Push-To GEM. For visual with my Obsession 20 I only use the NexusDSC because I find that even the dimmest setting, with red cover, my tablet is too bright for observing under very dark sky. At least three friends say I'm crazy - and use SF on a tablet connected to their NexusDSC.

For Stellafane this year - one friend created an observing list using SF and then exported it to the file you need to put on the Nexus's SD card. He emailed me the file and I loaded in on the SD card. It worked.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics