•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Grab Handle for a C6

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:30 AM

I've been trying to figure out how to attach a small handle to my C6 for carrying it, and to use when slewing and adjusting the balance on the mount.  I don't want to drill into the OTA.  The only available attachment points opposite the dovetail bar, seem to be for a finder.  I'm wondering if those are strong enough for the job, or if there is another simple solution that I haven't thought of.

Anyone else have a handle on their C6?

Edited by Sam M, 15 November 2019 - 11:31 AM.

#2 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:51 AM

Maybe hose clamps or cable ties?  Then add something perpendicular between the two bands holding a length of PVC pipe or something.  It's a kludge but might work until you find a better solution.  Luggage straps?

Dunno, just some random thoughts; TGIF.

Edited by jcj380, 15 November 2019 - 11:52 AM.

• Sam M likes this

#3 George Methvin

George Methvin

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:16 PM

There Farpointastro they have some handles I believe.

Edited by George Methvin, 15 November 2019 - 12:17 PM.

• Sam M likes this

#4 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

I put handles on all my heavier Maks and SCTs. Here is my C5. The rear hole just utilizes one of the existing screw holes in the rear mirror housing (but a slightly longer screw is required). I removed the front corrector housing/cell via the 4 retaining screws (index the orientation) and drilled a hole in the main tube for the front hole in the handle. I set the scope with mirror facing down so drill debris would not fall on mirror.  I added a small fiber washer between the front handle hole and the scope to take up the gap caused by the slightly elevated rear handle mounting on the rear cell.  Used a short screw with a lock washer and nut on the inside of the tube.  Replaced the front corrector cell and checked collimation - no change at all. Did the same to a C6 I had in the past.

Frank

Attached Thumbnails

• C5 handle.jpg

• Hugh Peck, Colin exraaf, HubSky and 1 other like this

#5 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

By the way - handle was about $4 at Home Depot.  Hardware about $0.90.

FC

#6 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:03 AM

You're a braver man than I am, Frank.  

#7 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:39 AM

I like it but I don't like what it will do to resale value. Since I've gotten rid of every scope I've every owned that would be a consideration for me personally. Other wise, I really like the idea of carry handles on small scopes. 

#8 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:09 AM

I decided to try a picatenny rail that attaches to the finder shoe.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_p2ff.htm

Hopefully the torque where the small bolts attach the shoe to the scope won't damage anything.  Pros: light, rigid, detachable, good unobtrusive size, simple & I won't scratch the paint or have to drill anything, I can attach a finder to the rail if I want.  Cons:  Annoyingly expensive for what it is, have to be careful it doesn't fall off while I'm carrying the scope, risk of damage to the scope if the weight is too much for how it's mounted.  I'll update here when it arrives.

jcj380, I thought about something like you're describing, but I want something more rigid.  

Frank, that's a great, straight forward solution, but I'm just not going to drill the OTA for this.

Thanks for the input.  I'm still curious what others have done.

#9 Old Man

Old Man

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:07 AM

I decided to try a picatenny rail that attaches to the finder shoe.

Hopefully the torque where the small bolts attach the shoe to the scope won't damage anything.  Pros: light, rigid, detachable, good unobtrusive size, simple & I won't scratch the paint or have to drill anything, I can attach a finder to the rail if I want.  Cons:  Annoyingly expensive for what it is, have to be careful it doesn't fall off while I'm carrying the scope, risk of damage to the scope if the weight is too much for how it's mounted.  I'll update here when it arrives.

jcj380, I thought about something like you're describing, but I want something more rigid.  

Frank, that's a great, straight forward solution, but I'm just not going to drill the OTA for this.

Thanks for the input.  I'm still curious what others have done.

You didn't say what type or size of scope you will be putting this on and if anything with any weight at all, I would think this will put an awful amount of strain on a finder shoe. JMO.  It would be better to install a set of rings and either another dovetail or a handle attached to the rings. No damage and completely reversible.

Mike

Edited by Old Man, 19 November 2019 - 02:12 AM.

#10 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:20 AM

If you google "scope tote" you will find a company that make fabric carry handles for scopes. Too me they are rather expensive and I think one could make one with large Velcro ties with a web fabric handle sewed on. 

• Sam M likes this

#11 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:17 AM

You didn't say what type or size of scope you will be putting this on and if anything with any weight at all, I would think this will put an awful amount of strain on a finder shoe. JMO.  It would be better to install a set of rings and either another dovetail or a handle attached to the rings. No damage and completely reversible.

Mike

It's a Celestron C6, 6" SCT, about 10lbs.  I thought a lot about rings, but there's the extra size (it lives in a snug backpack), weight, and it's $50 before I add a handle.  Still, it's a solid way to mount without drilling.

#12 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:29 PM

https://www.berlebac...sprache=english
  • Sam M likes this

#13 Sam M

Sam M

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:41 PM

Well, here's my solution.  More than I wanted to pay, but everything I wanted it to be.  The weight / mounting doesn't seem to be a problem at all.  It's the perfect size, light, and detachable.

C6 Handle1
C6 Handle1

Edited by Sam M, 25 November 2019 - 09:47 PM.

• fcathell likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics