•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RASA Feathertouch focuser seems to work fine, but...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jdk

jdk

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

The feathertouch focuser on my RASA seems to work fine, but I don't like the sound or feel of it. There is some audible clicking/grinding noise when focusing, and in certain parts of the focus range the feel is noticeably heavier than in others. This is the first time I've had the Starizona Microtouch off the scope (testing collimation indoors during the day), so it's the first time I've noticed it (normally I focus from my computer and have no tactile or auditory feedback). Does anyone else have similar experiences? Is this symptomatic of a problem?

Joe

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:21 PM

Something seems wrong as there should be no clicking/grinding or uneven torque/dampening. 

• Stephen Kennedy likes this

#3 jdk

jdk

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:17 PM

Something seems wrong as there should be no clicking/grinding or uneven torque/dampening. 

That's what I thought too. I called Celestron today and the tech seemed to imply that if nothing is functionally deficient, the mechanism is probably fine. I'll see if it gets any worse; for now, at least I have the issue flagged for a potential warranty repair. 

#4 smccully

smccully

Explorer 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:28 AM

I had this problem on my brand new RASA 11, I also had a problem where I could move the focuser in continuously it never reached a stopping point and the focus seemed to slip. I dont know if the clicking sound is the same you are hearing but it sounded like maybe something hitting the baffle tube or the glass against metal. It seemed to occur while moving the focuser in after a few rotations. 

After a discussion with Celestron Support, they agreed to replace it and I sent it back to them. Still waiting on the replacement, but thats the nature of the beast. 

#5 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 16 November 2019 - 06:30 PM

There is a known issue with some of these electronic focusers installation.  See Roswell Astronomy focuser install and see if you can reinstall and resolve the issue... 

If the focuser continues to have issues return it for a refund.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=y8DIrT18WGo

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics