•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using a 2" L'eNhance with EF lens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ParagPA

ParagPA

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:10 PM

Hello,

Just bought a 2" L'enhance tri-band filter. I'll typically use is attached to my field flattener. However, I also use wider field EF lenses. Is there any way to use this filter with those?

Thanks!

#2 kel123

kel123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2019 - 06:27 AM

2" L'enhance is a dual band filter, not a 2" tri-band filter .I hope there is no deception from the seller?

The only theoretical way to use that size on a DSLR is to get a step down converter and convert from the size of your lens to 2".
However, depending on the size of your lens objective, there may be some vignetting

#3 ParagPA

ParagPA

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:25 AM

2" L'enhance is a dual band filter, not a 2" tri-band filter .I hope there is no deception from the seller?

The only theoretical way to use that size on a DSLR is to get a step down converter and convert from the size of your lens to 2".
However, depending on the size of your lens objective, there may be some vignetting

Thanks! Since it isolates Ha, Hb, and O-III, isn’t it a tri-band? 

#4 8472

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:37 AM

Nope.

Hb and O-III are grouped into a single band.

#5 kel123

kel123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:50 AM

Thanks! Since it isolates Ha, Hb, and O-III, isn’t it a tri-band? 

Unfortunately, practically, it is a dual band filter. When you look at the graph, you will know why the manufacturer and everyone else calls it a dual band filter despite the literature noting "isolation of Hb" when it is included in O-III band .

Unless, of course it makes you feel good to say you own a tri-band filter smile.gif  when you do not.  If you really need one, it will set you back by almost $800 not just about the $200 you paid for the L'enhance.

After reading your post, I thought for a moment that the brand is out with a tri-band filter. Had to figure out you rechristened it all by yourself. 

Clear Skies

#6 ParagPA

ParagPA

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:51 AM

Unfortunately, practically, it is a dual band filter. When you look at the graph, you will know why the manufacturer and everyone else calls it a dual band filter despite the literature noting "isolation of Hb" when it is included in O-III band .

Unless, of course it makes you feel good to say you own a tri-band filter smile.gif when you do not. If you really need one, it will set you back by almost $800 not just about the $200 you paid for the L'enhance.

After reading your post, I thought for a moment that the brand is out with a tri-band filter. Had to figure out you rechristened it all by yourself.

Clear Skies

Lol yep! Definitely my mistake. And I just looked at the curves and see what you and others mean.

I couldn't find an APS-C clip in version of this filter - I assume that doesn't exist?

#7 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Mariner 2

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

I wouldn’t worry too much about making that mistake... after all, this one is called a tri-band filter.

https://optcorp.com/...1c4d66c79eb455c

I don’t think optolong makes a clip-in version, but STC has a similar dual band clip-in filter.

#8 kel123

kel123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2019 - 12:54 PM

I wouldn’t worry too much about making that mistake... after all, this one is called a tri-band filter.

https://optcorp.com/...1c4d66c79eb455c

I don’t think optolong makes a clip-in version, but STC has a similar dual band clip-in filter.

Sure. STC makes both the clip-in version and the camera lens version. I own the 2" version from STC but I almost regretted buying it for $330 USD because as soon as it was delivered, L'Enhance was released for much cheaper. Great filter though but I think I should have saved that $100

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics