•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

novice Vixen Narrow Dovetail Mounting Plate ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 17thCentury

17thCentury

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:48 PM

I have a Takahashi 80QS clamshell and am contemplating a Stellervue M2 or MV1 type mount. 

When I ordered my Dovetail plate the website just said 'VIXEN DOVETAIL PLATE'. but the box I received says ' NARROW DOVETAIL MOUNTING PLATE"

Will the NARROW plate require a whole different style claw or shoe then a plain VIXEN DOVETAIL ?     Or will the NARROW Dovetail Plate also cinch tight on Alt AZ Stellervue Dual Vixen & Losmandy style shoe mount ?

#2 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

The Vixen dovetail is the "narrow" one.  There is a much wider one (forget the name) for large, fat scopes.  You should be OK.

Frank

• 17thCentury likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:32 PM

Don't you have some/any single Vixen Dovetail hanging around? They all and cloned similars are essentially the same fit. They only differ in material and manufacture. Some are cast/extruded Aluminum, some are machined, some have hardened side that resists getting dented, some are "hollow", some are "solid" etc. ... but they all fit. I think they call them ~narrow~ just because the Vixen is indeed narrower than the other common geometry.

Someone else may have more details --- but I think that covers it. What you have there should fit just fine!

Here's a couple of my old images from when I was fitting things. Turns out they ALL fit, provided they are ~Vixen~ They may look different, but they all fit.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 18 dovetail 1C for Vixen.jpg
  • 19 Toms 2-axis mount for 8-inch finder.jpg

• 17thCentury likes this

#4 Nippon

Nippon

Gemini

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:40 PM

I think you are good. The plates commonly referred to as "Vixen style dovetail " are narrow compared to the other widely common dovetail rail referred to as the "Losmandy D style dovetail" the lack of the word Vixen on the box does not indicate it is not compatible with the Stellarvue dual Vixen/Losmandy saddle clamp. A Vixen style dovetail rail is about 1 3/4" wide on the bottom and about 5/8" thick with each side beveled at about 60 degrees. The Stellarvue clamp is 6" long and ideally you want a dovetail rail that is long enough to extend past the saddle clamp enough to use safety stop screws at each end of the rail.

One type of dovetail you want to avoid unless you are using a Vixen Mount or one of the many exact clones of the Vixen mounts is the one pictured that is actually made by Vixen. Not that it is a bad dovetail it's just that it is somewhat of a proprietary design created by Vixen for their own mounts.

Hope this helps, Paulvixen plate.jpg  

Edited by Nippon, 15 November 2019 - 08:14 PM.

• 17thCentury likes this

#5 17thCentury

17thCentury

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:54 PM

Thank You All so much !!!

I very much appreciate all your replies.  

Really learning a lot with the help of very talented members of this forum.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics