•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO announced ASIAIR Pro - the nexgen of ASIAIR imaging platforms

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:30 PM

ZWO has today announced the forthcoming release of the ASIAIR Pro - an upgrade version of the popular ASIAIR imaging system.

The ASIAIR Pro is an evolution of the 1st edn ASIAIR and has adopted some new features based on user experience gained over the past 12 months or so.

Final details will be released in due course but the high level details are:

• ASIAIR Pro hardware is base on the PI4 board and OS has been rewritten for that platform - there will be a code branch to allow ASIAIR Edn 1 to continue development inline with ASIAIR Pro. USB3 is now standard on PI4. 
  • ASIAIR Pro has 64GB of built in space and a 64GB flash drive giving a total storage of 128GB
  • PI4 has 4GB of RAM and a new CPU - 30% faster than PI3. 
  • The unit is now housed in a CNC milled aircraft grade aluminum housing - available in many colours as long as its ZWO red :) 
  • The housing will have mounts to allow it to be installed on the finder foot and the finder/guidescope can mount on the ASIAIR Pro.
  • ASIAIR Pro integrates simple power management with 4 x DC outlets (3A each - 10A max total) - will be controllable from the ASIAIR app. (some ports will be PWM controllable for dew controllers)
  • ASIAIR Pro will have a DSLR shutter control line to control the snap socket on many cameras.
  • ASIAIR Pro will support all the latest cameras and devices such as EAF.

New software features fir ASIAIR Pro have not been finalised yet - Autofocus/automated meridan flips are high on the development list right now. Live stacking is planned - release date not yet known.

As ASIAIR Pro is a new software package PI3 boards will not support it - updated versions with non Pro features will continue to be developed and released. 

There are plans for discounts for existing owners of genuine devices - likely to be on return and discount basis - details will be announced closer to release date. 

ASIAIR Pro will be available end of Q4 2019. Price has not been finalised yet but likely to be around $299 

Details on pricing and discounts/process for applying will be made available soon. Please watch ZWO facebook and website for further details. 

Attached Thumbnails

• asiair pro.jpg

• Ricky, Scott Beith, George N and 19 others like this

#2 Mark Sellars

Mark Sellars

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:07 AM

Sign me up!

• Gary Z likes this

#3 kmorgan01

kmorgan01

Lift Off

• Loc: Jackson, TN

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:06 AM

Wow, this sure looks like a winner, a mashup of the ASIAIR and Pegasus Powerbox! I'll definitely be purchasing one. Thanks for bringing this to the groups attention.

• Gary Z likes this

#4 kreegan99

kreegan99

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Endwell, NY

Posted 16 November 2019 - 10:50 AM

This looks very interesting.  With the pi4's 64 bit support and USB 3 jacks - I wonder if this will include planetary imaging/video capture improvements?

#5 Alfredo Lera

Alfredo Lera

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:43 AM

https://www.telescop...device-zwo.html
In Italy.
  • BarneyWillis likes this

#6 kel123

kel123

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 November 2019 - 07:41 PM

The new design has its own shortcoming just like primalucelab eagle device. As a result of the openings, dew will be a problem for the board and components. There has to be a way to shield it from dew. 

Edited by kel123, 16 November 2019 - 07:42 PM.

#7 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:51 PM

This looks very interesting.  With the pi4's 64 bit support and USB 3 jacks - I wonder if this will include planetary imaging/video capture improvements?

possible in future developments - right now next major features top of the most wanted is automated meridian flips and autofocus :) 

#8 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:53 PM

The new design has its own shortcoming just like primalucelab eagle device. As a result of the openings, dew will be a problem for the board and components. There has to be a way to shield it from dew. 

my eagle and ASIAIRs all have had water dripping off them with no issues scopes and cameras all have openings or unsealed gaps - its rare to see any issues - if you're really worried you could build a small cover

#9 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:11 PM

ASIAIR PRO

#10 AstroNutz

AstroNutz

Explorer 1

• Loc: Highlands Ranch, CO

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:32 PM

Will it work with my Astro-Physics mount?

#11 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:26 PM

What about Losmandy Gemini-2?

#12 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:19 AM

Please: Live stacking asap praying.gif

• Foehammer, Astrojedi, cmooney91 and 1 other like this

#13 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:19 AM

Will it work with my Astro-Physics mount?

What about Losmandy Gemini-2?

Are your mounts on the INDI mount support list?

#14 kel123

kel123

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:26 PM

I am concerned about integration with non ZWO cameras both for guiding and capture. Or will it remain proprietary? 

I am also  concerned about  polar alignment options and alternatives. The current Asiair does not polar align without a view of polaris. Even then, that feature leaves much to be desired. 

#15 rzgp33

rzgp33

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bendigo, Victoria, Australia

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:33 PM

Drive a Celestron SCT focuser

#16 Okke Dillen

Okke Dillen

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

Hi,

will the plate solving cooperate with SkySafari? (in a way that it shows me on the SkySafari map where the OTA is pointing at?)

Is EAF 100% ready implemented and is autofocus fully operational with it, ready to use?

Will it accept monitor, keyboard and mouse also?

What does it look like on the USB side?

Thanks,

o.d.

#17 Okke Dillen

Okke Dillen

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:28 AM

And... will a PC also be able to control it, e.g. over WiFi, similar to a mobile device (phones, tablets)?

Cheers

#18 MrMxyzptlk

MrMxyzptlk

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:38 AM

This should not be a problem. The pi4 is a pretty hot device so when conditions are ideal for dew the micro-climate that produces inside the casing because of the heat will drive away dew from the interior of the device.

• arjanb likes this

#19 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:56 AM

Mac/OSX control would be great too.

#20 Starblind

Starblind

Vostok 1

• Loc: Algonquin IL

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

I hope they have a better implementation of PHD on the new device as opposed to the barely useful version they currently provide.  Live stacking would be nice.  Since they work with iOptron extensively on mount support, they should seriously consider integrating the iPolar PA application, that would be the ultimate device for portable imaging rigs, a one shot (sic) solution for imagers with a tripod and mount being hauled all over the place.  It's the only really important bit missing from the current ASIAIR.  I have to PA with a PC and then run with an iPad Pro.  Their PA solution is, well, crap.  As for cold and dew issues, I have the cirrent ASIAIR out in 10 and 20 degree weather over winter regularly with no issues.  I'm more worried about my 300mm camera lens than the ASIAIR, but Nikon apparently do a pretty good job weather sealing their $1000 plus lenses.

On another note, is anynone else using an updated iPad Pro with the current ASIAIR at v1.3.1?  When I connect to the ASIAIR WiFi, there is no WiFi icon in the top right of the iPad display, it's gone after updating both platforms.  Very Weird.....

Bob

#21 Bob_Huerbsch

Bob_Huerbsch

Vostok 1

• Loc: St Augustine, FL

Posted 23 November 2019 - 10:41 AM

At $300 you could also get an intel NUC mini PC...
  • Traveler likes this

#22 sjuilianna

sjuilianna

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:18 PM

Interesting. I wonder how much the discount will be for existing owners of gen1 .

#23 Jexx

Jexx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:54 AM

Interesting. I wonder how much the discount will be for existing owners of gen1 .

Love comments like this. How about supporting the company for upgrading and adding features to an already successful product? How much would you expect a discount to be? Just curious...

#24 rathijit

rathijit

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:50 AM

Love comments like this. How about supporting the company for upgrading and adding features to an already successful product? How much would you expect a discount to be? Just curious...

Since you have less than a dozen posts since you joined, I assume you have low interest in participating in conversations, so how about not attacking others when you do happen to post, especially new members? The question was a legitimate one since it was mentioned in the original post that "There are plans for discounts for existing owners of genuine devices". I'm curious about this as well. If you happen to have an existing gen 1 ASIAIR and want to forego your discount to support the company, be our guest. :)

• kenkolen, John O'Grady, artem2 and 2 others like this

#25 kel123

kel123

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:37 AM

Since you have less than a dozen posts since you joined, I assume you have low interest in participating in conversations, so how about not attacking others when you do happen to post, especially new members? The question was a legitimate one since it was mentioned in the original post that "There are plans for discounts for existing owners of genuine devices". I'm curious about this as well. If you happen to have an existing gen 1 ASIAIR and want to forego your discount to support the company, be our guest. smile.gif

Thanks for replying that post in a civil manner. It is one of those unreasonable posts you see sometimes and you just shake your head and wonder whether the poster is just  trolling . I held back from replying so that I don't say anything nasty and fall prey to the poster's trolling.  

• kenkolen, John O'Grady, rathijit and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics