•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon and NV

NV
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 15 November 2019 - 11:44 PM

So the moon was a bit close to my intended target today. I had out the 10 inch dob and was hoping to see the Horse Head tonight. But it was barely visible tonight. Even the Flame was pretty faint. However, the Orion Nebula was still quite good. The family gave a few oohs and aahs with that one. I also pulled in the Pac-man which was not too bad.

So tonight I gave up a bit early on the NV and switch to the moon. I pulled out the Paracorr 2 and put in the 24 Panoptic. Quite the view with this large aperture. I zoomed in with my new 12.5mm Celestron Ultima...wow, what a view that was. 

Do you guys find the Moon washes your NV out a bit? I had average seeing and transparency also...so not a great night conditions wise.

#2 Gavster

Gavster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:47 AM

Yes definitely, particularly if the objects being viewed are quite close. Very narrowband ha filters are needed in this situation (like in astro photography) and a fast effective speed setup so that enough photons hit the filter.
  • GeezerGazer likes this

#3 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:10 AM

NV is a techno-miracle but it does have some limitations.

Light pollution and moonlight are bad enough but are exacerbated with higher moisture content in the sky.

But think about it. The moon was up. There was light pollution. The sky had moisture and you STILL SAW the Horsehead and Flame Nebulas!

Observers just a few years ago would have considered that completely impossible.

The fact that I can walk out of my door and with my laughable sky conditions see these once prized and extremely challenging objects still amazes.

Bob

• Jeff Morgan and GeezerGazer like this

#4 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:00 AM

But think about it. The moon was up. There was light pollution. The sky had moisture and you STILL SAW the Horsehead and Flame Nebulas!

Observers just a few years ago would have considered that completely impossible.

Seeing the HorseHead with the Flame in the same field will always be completely impossible with conventional eyepieces because 2nd magnitude Alnitak must also be in the field of view.

But we can do it every clear night. grin.gif

• GeezerGazer likes this

#5 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia

Posted 16 November 2019 - 11:12 AM

This was the worst my scopes performed on the horse head. I couldn't even really make out the notch last night. I could tell the nebula was there but just barely. the moon was pretty close to the area. 

But again, the Orion Nebula was still rather good.

It was nice to observe the Moon though with large aperture. Something I don't do very often. So I guess I'm glad I got the Paracorr 2 even though it was a bust for my night vision work. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics