•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Smoothest tracking mount for £1500

accessories equipment astrophotography tripod mount
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Henry_Hird

Henry_Hird

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:06 PM

Exactly what it says up there. I want the mount which will give me the best tracking for £1500 or under. I don't care what brand, I don't care whether it's made on Mars! I just want the best for that amount of money.

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

https://www.rotherva...goto-mount.html

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:27 PM

Not in the price range.
This tracks better (because of encoders)
https://www.rotherva...-hard-case.html
Or Cem40.
Or EQ6.
What are you going to put in that mount?

#4 MaciejW

MaciejW

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:27 PM

Real time periodic error correction due to precise encoders

#5 Henry_Hird

Henry_Hird

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:32 PM

Not in the price range.
Or Cem40.
Or EQ6.

Which out of these two would be the best ?(I'm willing to stretch the budget slightly ) 

#6 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:35 PM

Smoothest, or Best ?

You ask for both and not sure one guarantees the other.

The iOptron CEMXX EC are probably the most accurate but add it would seem several hundred £'s to the cost.

CEM40 standard is £1500 to £1700 the EC version £2500 to £2700. So an extra £1000 for greater accuracy.

#7 Henry_Hird

Henry_Hird

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 03:35 PM

Not in the price range.
Or Cem40.
Or EQ6.

I'm yet to find the mass of my scope although it will probably we around 10kg

#8 ShortLobster

ShortLobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stamford, CT, USA

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:19 PM

Assuming (from the equipment in your signature) that you are planning on guided astrophotography, you may not get any benefit from the EC versions of the Ioptron mounts. See the voluminous threads in this forum. 

That being said, you will get very good guided performance with that setup on the CEM40, probably a bit better on the CEM60. 

#9 Henry_Hird

Henry_Hird

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:23 PM

Assuming (from the equipment in your signature) that you are planning on guided astrophotography, you may not get any benefit from the EC versions of the Ioptron mounts. See the voluminous threads in this forum. 

That being said, you will get very good guided performance with that setup on the CEM40, probably a bit better on the CEM60. 

The CEM40 is the v.recently released one right? Does it have any newer better technology over the CEM60 in any respect? 

#10 pinzmann

pinzmann

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Yucca valley, ca

Posted 16 November 2019 - 05:04 PM

I have both. The CEM60 is used guided and does very well. .4-.5". This is non-EC. Around 25lbs. The locking knobs take a bit getting used too. I like the built in USB hub as it cleans up the wiring. Have the polar scope which works well and can get in 2-3min polar alignment just visually. Although I would recommend getting the iPolar. Much more accurate. I mount my C8 on this mount.
Advantage of the CEM40 is light weight, only around 15lbs. The locking switches are much better and you don't have to adjust like the CEM60. Again the iPolar is a big plus. Cabling thru the mount is limited to USB and 12v. I have the EC version and get 240sec unguided with a 710mm FL scope. Guided performance is average.
  • Miguelo and rml63 like this

#11 ShortLobster

ShortLobster

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stamford, CT, USA

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:11 PM

The CEM40 is the v.recently released one right? Does it have any newer better technology over the CEM60 in any respect? 

The GEM45 was just announced, and is the replacement of the IEQ45 Pro; the CEM40 has been around a little longer (can't remember exactly). The "G" models are traditional German Equatorial mounts, and the "C" are a new center-balanced design and have a better mount weight-to-payload weight ratio. 

#12 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:24 AM

I would not go with the EC models because it's not clear that they have fixed the encoder interpolation error.  Besides, an encoder on RA only will not get rid of the need to guide. And if you are guiding anyway, you don't need the encoder.

Hence my original recommendation to get the CEM60 non-EC.  It is a bit over UKP 1500 but is fairly well-tested by now. And it will give you a lot of payload headroom vs the CEM25 EC. And the guaranteed periodic error is sub 5" p-p. With a PE that low, your guiding will not even be working hard.

The only reason I would go for a CEM25 EC over a CEM60 non-EC is if the weight of the CEM60 bothers you, and you won't ever be putting more than 10-15lb or so on the CEM25.

#13 PaulE54

PaulE54

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NW England

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:27 AM

Just had an almost identical decision to make except that I also added portability to the criteria, since I set up and take down each night.

I've just purchased a CEM40 (non-EC version). How good the tracking is, I will find out when I get the next clear night. 

Several folks on here and the UK forum rate them highly. 

We shall see.

Paul.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment, astrophotography, tripod, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics