•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

moving again

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 16 November 2019 - 06:23 PM

my landlord made me take down the scope so thats why I have not been able to image. I found a real nice place with a guy who is renting a house and wants a roomate. he has 2 big goofy dogs , a shed in the back and a garage with a drive way facing south and a dirt road. the back yars is huge. i just have to decide if i ant to make another 16 inch or should i say 20 ich solid tube and fiberglass it this time or make a 3 foot section carbon fiber or glass with a 1 foot long focus cage and make it an open truss. I can definitely bolt the truss tube i have now for the time beeing and just image the moon till things get good again.. just dont know what to do. i supose the cheapest way out. i can also sell the 16 inch f7 bob and use my 12 in f6 parks tube its also a truss tube. il go to scope making section and check my options for making a solid truss tube. i have to also mention a large open back yard. the dogs have a big bark but no bite they are super friendly. let me know what yo guys think I should do for the best imaging . I also thought i could do a mod on the truss tube so the focus is almost parallel to horizon when looking in the general direction of the ecliptic 

• gfstallin and wrnchhead like this

#2 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2019 - 06:26 PM

btw when does mars start getting good and will it be higher up this time round. and i promise i wont get any big dust storms this time. in any case there are some new folk here i have a 16 inch f7 on a gem. i suppose i can sell the gem for a round 1500 or 2000 with the 12 on it and just get servo cats. that seems the best idea

• RedLionNJ and kevinbreen like this

#3 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:41 PM

2 likes no comments . oh well anyway I stopped by the house after dark last night. its sort of right next to a river and a steak park. no street lights around. anywhere. nice and dark with plenty of green around

• Foc likes this

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:22 AM

blahblah.gif blahblah.gif blahblah.gif  I stopped by the house after dark last night. its sort of right next to a river and a steak park. no street lights around. anywhere. nice and dark with plenty of green around

Great Joe - you'll be able to order a steak while you image & make your own healthy sides of greens - just watch out for those meat-muggers..! rofl2.gif

Edited by Kokatha man, 19 November 2019 - 02:22 AM.

• RedLionNJ and gfstallin like this

#5 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:19 AM

Joe, if you have a good southern view, that is all you need. Make sure the landlord is okay with your big telescope. Show him a picture of your old 16-inch to give him an idea of what you are dealing with, and what he'll have to deal with. Even if your next scope has a smaller footprint, you'll be guaranteed to be able to keep it...but, have him sign a document regarding rent and specifically, your usage of the shed or other parts of the property for the telescope. I cannot stress how important it is that you have the landlord sign a document. Have him amend any rental agreement he might have already prepared to include your telescope. No matter how friendly he seems, if he suddenly does not want to bother with you or your telescope, or suddenly has a girlfriend move in who is not too keen on having a man with a massive telescope in the backyard, he can make you leave the property. He can legally tell you to leave and you would have to leave in many U.S. states. With a signed rental document, you gain legal rights - such as the right to permanent residence for length of the agreement (12 months or more) and the right to keep that telescope in the shed (or wherever you agree to keep it) and use it on the property. A verbal contract often is not enough to maintain your rented residence or your personal property on said rented property in most U.S. states. 

If this is just some dude who wants to rent you a place by verbal contract, write down the rental terms (Joe + Massive Telescope + Shed + Agreed rental price + length of period to be rented + right to privacy in your rented room) on a piece of paper. Have him go to the notary with you to have it notarized - perhaps not necessary, but it can help if/when the police show up. The UPS Store and Pack Mart in Sebastian both have notary services. If you are moving to another town, most UPS Stores have a notary - check with the individual store on the notary's hours. The notary acts as a third party witness to your agreement and nothing more. Offer to pay the cost of the notary (usually less than $50). If he feels uncomfortable signing any rental document that includes your telescope, DO NOT MOVE IN. 

For a written lease (by hand or printed from a computer), make sure both you and the landlord have signed copies. 

If your current landlord told you to remove the telescope only after you had used it for months, you might also have rights, but I suspect Florida law usually sides with the landlord with verbal agreements. Agreements in writing carry a lot of weight. 

My apologies for going "legal" on you in this thread. I just want to see you producing images. 

George

Edited by gfstallin, 19 November 2019 - 07:44 AM.

• Kokatha man likes this

#6 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:44 PM

2 likes no comments . oh well anyway I stopped by the house after dark last night. its sort of right next to a river and a steak park. no street lights around. anywhere. nice and dark with plenty of green around

Eh, what’s to like?
Comments? How about “start imaging again, your images are fantastic, a real inspiration!”
  • phileefan and moonwatching ferret like this

#7 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:52 AM

wel as for inspiration it may be on hold again. it apears not to many people are happy with a big scope. I set the mount alone up in the garage with the rings an my new lanlord said he keeps his jeep in there in inclimet weather. so he maid me stuff it in the shed in the back which he keeps very neet. he said i can set it up outside on some flat paving stones during imaging season. and put a tarp over it. I am realy considering home made servo cats or ordering the cheapest way out for my scope. as long as i can make minor adjustments to keep planets centered. that big scope on a gem is not so easy to use. a bob mount with sero cats i can put on a dolly and drag it out any time. to the mount will b going up for sale perhaps with my 12 incher on it. I know its probably a step down but itl be easier to maintain. unless i build a weather proof scope and keep the optics indoors.

any ideas when mars gets good again ?

#8 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:54 AM

Great Joe - you'll be able to order a steak while you image & make your own healthy sides of greens - just watch out for those meat-muggers..! rofl2.gif

i meant to say state park its that darn auto correct green s better than concrete and black top

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:47 AM

i meant to say state park its that darn auto correct green s better than concrete and black top

You got me on that one Joe..! :rofl:

Apart from joking I actually thought that you were referring to some sort of mobile van that sold steak sandwiches & burgers etc in an auto park...did seem kinda strange if there were no lights around - a "steak van" owner would probably get mugged trying to operate in a carpark with no lights!

Keep at it - if you get up just before the Sun in a month or so you'll be able to shoot some Mars captures...maybe sooner. (take a look at ALPO-Japan)

• eros312 likes this

#10 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:36 AM

I’ve got May pencilled in my diary as Mars will be 8.5 seconds in apparent diameter. It’ll be bigger for you though as you’re closer.
Sorry to hear about your scope woes, but that steak park sounds tasty. Any port in a storm as they say when the chips are down..

#11 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:41 PM

im still thinking sell the mount. it should go for decent money with the 16 inch rings i paye 500 for them. if i go servo cats i can keep the svcope in my room and just take it out set it up when imaging is good

#12 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra and Strasbourg

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:31 AM

Hi Ferret,

Sorry you have had to keep moving to find a good place. Hope this one works out.

Mars is at opposition in mid October 2020 and should start to get interesting from May as Kevin said. I think it is a bit higher this time in the N Hemisphere but I will have to check my computer to confirm. There can’t possibly be a dust storm this time round! We’ve already had one.

Mark

#13 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 06:51 AM

Hi Ferret,

Sorry you have had to keep moving to find a good place. Hope this one works out.

Mars is at opposition in mid October 2020 and should start to get interesting from May as Kevin said. I think it is a bit higher this time in the N Hemisphere but I will have to check my computer to confirm. There can’t possibly be a dust storm this time round! We’ve already had one.

Mark

If there’s the slightest whiff of a dust storm on Mars this time around I for one will put the blame fair and square on Joe’s shoulders!
  • Lacaille and moonwatching ferret like this

#14 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:22 PM

If there’s the slightest whiff of a dust storm on Mars this time around I for one will put the blame fair and square on Joe’s shoulders!

Thanks I really do apreciate that. being i was one of three who caught that beast in action when it first starte. Makes me feel impotent.

#15 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:29 PM

On the contrary, I’d say you’re a positively upstanding member of all things Martian-weather-wise.
  • Lacaille and moonwatching ferret like this

#16 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:35 PM

thanks kev anyway i went to down load that fantastic pic butmy old lap top is giving me problems i think its the key pad anyway every good image i ever got is eitherhere or f book some where but as that one guy in the moon rocket in 2001 said heres what started the whole thing

mars jupiter saturn.jpg

• h2ologg, eros312, RedLionNJ and 1 other like this

#17 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:36 PM

not the best image of the storm but its fair

#18 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:35 PM

...must only be the 875th time fingertap.gif  you've posted these Ferret! 

• h2ologg and phileefan like this

#19 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 November 2019 - 02:24 AM

Well, I hadn’t seen them before, well worth posting (for the 876th time) roflmao.gif

Andrew

#20 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

Posted 23 November 2019 - 02:47 AM

Well, I hadn’t seen them before, well worth posting (for the 876th time) roflmao.gif

Andrew

Wash your mouth out with soapy water Andrew..! grin.gif

Ferret knows that almost everyone (except you & that AA'er on Isla Carlos off the west coast of Terra del Fuego who lacks internet facilities) has had this foisted upon them by The Ferret innumerable times.....I have repeatedly warned him that his licence to use his big bazooka will be rescinded if he keeps on posting it just to get another comment - either that or I'll start multiple threads bombarding this forum with every passable planetary image we've ever taken to push his threads right back to the 876th page of said forum..!   lol.gif

• h2ologg, eros312, phileefan and 3 others like this

#21 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:48 AM

I swear I saw that Saturn on a mug in my local Pound Shop
  • gfstallin, Lacaille and moonwatching ferret like this

#22 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 23 November 2019 - 04:33 AM

Well, if I took those images I’d post them multiple times too grin.gif .

Maybe he should use it as his profile pic so you could enjoy it every time he posts anything roflmao.gif

• gfstallin and moonwatching ferret like this

#23 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:22 PM

I hadn't seen those I think, nice work. Hope you get the property situation sorted soon.

Edited by Rouzbeh, 23 November 2019 - 01:22 PM.

• moonwatching ferret likes this

#24 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:57 PM

Those images are bloody incredible!!

I was about to post a witty response on this thread.... but holy moly, wow!

Check out my Saturn from sept 19 2019, Joe, your spectacular Saturn reminds me of it, er, kinda... 🥴
  • moonwatching ferret likes this

#25 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:39 PM

wow 7 comments in a row. now i know how to get some atention around here **** off some people lollol.gif . turns out i think there may be some hope after all . my landlord/ roomate. hes actually a renter to was proudly showing a neighbor my mount in his shed. only thing i don't like so far is the house does not have county water and has a well pump. Florida is not like the north east the ground water smells like sulfer and leaves a yellow stain. but i think i can get over it. perhaps ill get botled water and do a post shower rinse lol. as for mymages ill post as many times. there worth it lollol.gif . maby when i get setled in ill do a quick set up net lunar cycle and try some lunar imaging. i had to toss the carboard tube but ill bolt the bob tuss tube to the mount and locate the focus close to horizon. or if the moon is high enough i wont need the adc at all. wonsdering how high mars will be being it wont b at opposition till october

• RedLionNJ likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics