•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron EQ130/w Nikon D3100 Focusing Issues

beginner dslr Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rince

Rince

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:23 AM

Hi all,

I am new to the forums, I hope I am posting this to the right section.

Lately, I am getting more into astrophotography and thinking of getting new gear. But, before I would spend thousands of dollars on new equipment, I thought it would be wise to first "master" my current beginner setup. I think if I could do acceptable images with my current beginner rig, I could move to more sophisticated gear with a much more solid foundation. Plus it would gives me more time to see if this hobby is really for me. My current equipment is:

- Celestron Astromaster EQ130

- Nikon D3100

I know this is a very beginner setup (the EQ130 is narrowly beating department store telescopes, and the D3100 is Nikon's cheapest DSLR), but I know for a fact that good images can be achieved with them. Digging around on Astro Bin I could find a lot of examples:

https://www.astrobin...ging_telescopes

https://www.astrobin...imaging_cameras

Encouraged by these findings, I jumped into astrophotography, only to get no results at all. I was unable achieve focus on anything; even the moon was a blurry blob, no matter how much I tried. After some digging around, I found out that my telescope was built only for visual observation, but this could be remedied with a Barlow lens. So, I bought one and installed it in front of the T-mount for a 1.5 magnification increase, which did the trick, and I was finally able to get some rough results on the moon: https://www.cloudyni...bum/12151-moon/. My deep sky shots (my camera only allows me a maximum of 30 seconds exposures), however, still came out completely black, which baffled me. I tried lots of focus variations and thought at least I should be able to see star trails, but all I had was pure black. It is evident that I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what; hence, my asking for help here. smile.gif

I ask for help to achieve these short term goals of mine:

1. To improve the sharpness of my moon shots. They are way too blurry even for a beginner gear like mine; there must be a way to get a better focus.

2. To start seeing some stars on longer exposure, deep sky shots.

Thank you for your help! I am happy to be part of this community. smile.gif

Additional information:

- I am under a suburban sky, with the Orion nebula and Pleiades clearly visible. So, I believe it should be possible to get at least a faint glimpse of them at few-second exposures.

- I achieved my crappy focus on the moon by putting it on live view, zooming in on a detailed, cratered region and adjusting the focus knob. The images in my gallery are the best selected from about a hundred shots.

- The moon was about midway to it zenith at the time I took the images; so some atmospheric distortion is certainly there.

Edited by Rince, 17 November 2019 - 05:33 AM.

• Thaeland likes this

#2 Rince

Rince

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:07 PM

Moved here from the DSLR section of astrophotography. Thank you johnsoda!

#3 Rince

Rince

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:54 PM

I was looking for ways to improve my image quality when I stumbled upon a tutorial of image stacking moon shots (before, it didn't occur to me that stacking can be beneficial for bright objects, such as the moon). So, I gave it a shot and, low and behold, it vastly improved my image quality:

https://www.astrobin.com/cxgyfk/C/

I have also done a collimation of my reflector; so hopefully that will result in further improvement regarding image quality. We'll see.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, dslr, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics