•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Refractor Recommendation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mmarett

Mmarett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2019 - 09:56 AM

I have a ZWO ASI 1600mm-pro. Assuming my mount can handle anything.

I’d like to make an edition to my wife-field DSO scope with a scope that can capture more detail and a more narrow field. I assume this means something around 1000focal length?

I’m a nutshell what would be a good refractor to capture high quality subs of small DSOs

I was thinking the skywatcher 120?
  • SeaBee1 likes this

#2 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:17 AM

I have a ZWO ASI 1600mm-pro. Assuming my mount can handle anything.

I’d like to make an edition to my wife-field DSO scope with a scope that can capture more detail and a more narrow field. I assume this means something around 1000focal length?

I’m a nutshell what would be a good refractor to capture high quality subs of small DSOs

I was thinking the skywatcher 120?

Well... I am not into the AP thing... but I can tell you that the SW 120ED is one fine instrument for the money. One thing to note... I have read that AP with this scope will be a challenge due to the focal length... tracking errors become much more noticeable. What will you mount it on?

Good hunting!

CB

• sunnyday likes this

#3 Mmarett

Mmarett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the words. I will be putting it on a skywatcher EQ6-r unless people feel that isn’t ideal.
  • SeaBee1 likes this

#4 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Messenger

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:52 AM

I can tell you I am liking my new Esprit 80 here in AZ (just enjoying visual here while visiting others). But when I return home next week (Chicago area) there is a new Esprit 120 waiting for me to unbox. It is 840mm FL. The EVO120 is I believe 900mm fl. But I'm not sure FL is the primary answer to you quest for better DSO imaging. In ap a good refractor is a great start but a better mount is  more important. Although I have pondered putting my 120 on a CEM40, I suspect I am going to buy the CEM60/ipolar (non-ec) for it, and a CEM40 for the 80 and C-8/E. These days I rarely do subs greater than 3min's, and usually just use SC's "live stack" program. It's not often we get a night of good atmosphere here in NE Illinois to warrant longer subs. Plus I always have my MOD 3 for just visual enjoyment (prime and afocal). My plan is to take my 120, mount and 294 to AZ in the spring and bring the other 2 back to Illinois.

What area do you live?

Depending on average conditions....How about the Esprit 100 on an Ioptron CEM40/GEM45 or SW EQ6-R?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0589-2.jpg

#5 Mmarett

Mmarett

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

I live in Houston, Texas. I have a dark(ish) sky spot I will travel to about 2 hours away that is about bortle 3-4. I like the Esprit 120 idea. I think a skywatcher EQ-6 will be fine. I calculate the whole payload at around 55% which should have no issues. 

• SeaBee1 likes this

#6 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Soyuz

• Loc: Under the DFW light barrier

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the words. I will be putting it on a skywatcher EQ6-r unless people feel that isn’t ideal.

I live in Houston, Texas. I have a dark(ish) sky spot I will travel to about 2 hours away that is about bortle 3-4. I like the Esprit 120 idea. I think a skywatcher EQ-6 will be fine. I calculate the whole payload at around 55% which should have no issues. 

I have read many good things about the EQ6-R. I have an AVX, which is good for visual use... if I was to ever try AP, I would consider the EQ6-R to be the minimal requirement. It should handle the SW120 ED fine. However, I still believe the best AP 'scope would likely be a fast 80mm APO. I see too many recommendations to argue against it. So, if I were you, I would consider the Esprit 80mm on the EQ6-R if AP is where you want to land.

Good hunting!

CB

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics