•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rejecting bleeding stars: Deepskystacker vs. PixInsight

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 justusliebig

justusliebig

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:05 PM

Dear all,

i haven't been looking around here, but that is just because I have been mostly happy with my AP game and I didn't have to troubleshoot for some time. However, now that Orion is up, I am actually suffering from too bright stars. I get column errors and my idea was to average them out by rotating the camera. This is the my starting point:

8TGXAmd.jpg

But rotating did only add more of those nasty defects. I used Windsorized sigma clipping in PI (left) and kappa-sigma in DSS (right).

O2ybylr.png

ozx1gKY.png

The version from DSS looks way better. I played with the rejection values in PI but to now avail. What does DSS do different?! Thanks

#2 Moreflying

Moreflying

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 November 2019 - 03:32 PM

I'm not sure I have an answer to that but I notice something else in your image with Windsorized sigma clipping in PI that I had. If you look at some of your brighter stars (low in the image) look at how they are eroded away missing pixels on the left sides. Do you see it? I had the exact same problem and could never figure it out. Here I see it with someone else's image. The PI gurus need to look into that IMO.

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:21 PM

In PI you may have to apply the Large-Scale Pixel Rejection.

#4 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:37 PM

also the difference i think is that PI has 3 as the default # of sigmas to reject on the high side, but DSS has 2 sigmas as default. if you cranked PI down to 2 on the high slider you might see comparable results.

PI 1.8.8 has a new rejection algorithm called ESD - "Generalized Extreme Studentized Deviate Test" - god knows what that really means - but it might be worth a try here. it's supposed to be better at identifying outlying pixels. but the tooltip does say it needs 25-50 subs to really work best.

also i agree with james that the LS rejection could help.

rob

#5 justusliebig

justusliebig

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:38 PM

In PI you may have to apply the Large-Scale Pixel Rejection.

Thanks for the hint, no difference with various permutations/combinations

MOhT7OY.png

#6 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

How many subs are you stacking? Windsorized sigma clipping works best when you have a relatively large number of subs (greater than 15?). Percentile Clipping should work better if you have a smaller number of subs.

#7 justusliebig

justusliebig

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:04 PM

How many subs are you stacking? Windsorized sigma clipping works best when you have a relatively large number of subs (greater than 15?). Percentile Clipping should work better if you have a smaller number of subs.

30+ from 3 different sessions/rotations :/ Lowering the sigma helped at the expense of a lot signal, yet still not as good what DSS produces

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics