•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need to buy a 80mm Refractor - Help!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Janco

Janco

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa

Posted 17 November 2019 - 02:10 PM

Hi Everyone, 

I need to buy a decent 80 mm refractor for wide field imaging. I've basically narrowed it down to two scopes and needs some help in choosing. 

1) Sky-Watcher Esprit 80ED

2) Explore Scientific 80ED (FCD100). 

Thoughts? 

Thanks

#2 Janco

Janco

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:51 AM

Wow... I would've hoped my question was a little bit more controversiallol.gif

#3 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:08 AM

I've seen the Esprit in action and it is one great scope - wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Haven't tried the ES to comment. 

One annoying thing about the Esprit is how the dovetail is clamped to the OTA. Some people just remove it, use white tape to cover the holes and then get a separate set of rings and dovetail.

#4 Suavi

Suavi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 20.25 deg South of the Equator

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:13 AM

For wide field imaging - FSQ-85. It has a larger corrected circle than Espirt 80ED (so a wider field imaging is possible) and is also faster than ES80ED.

Edited by Suavi, 18 November 2019 - 04:14 AM.

#5 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:14 AM

OP narrowed it down to two scopes though...

• BFaucett likes this

#6 Nippon

Nippon

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:44 AM

If you have a spare $3,800 + for an FSQ and needed accessories just sitting about I'm sure it is wonderful but between your two choices I'd opt for the Esprit 80 ED.  I don't own one but I researched the Esprit line for some time and I can't recall reading anything negative about any of the Espirit models.

Edited by Nippon, 18 November 2019 - 08:47 AM.

• Wildetelescope likes this

#7 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:59 AM

Hi Everyone,

I need to buy a decent 80 mm refractor for wide field imaging. I've basically narrowed it down to two scopes and needs some help in choosing.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I have an AT 80 edt in order for the same reason. Did not want to spend more than 1k and I am willing to accept the compromise in terms of glass that is used. There are a lot of nice images taken with it on Astrobin. I also like the look of r and p focuser on the AT. Of the scopes you list, I agree that the Esprit line has an excellent reputation. It will likely make you very happy.

Cheers

Jmd
  • Janco likes this

#8 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:25 AM

Hi Everyone, 

Thoughts? 

Thanks

The Esprit 80mm has known to be excellent optics and for an imager a much, much better focuser. The Esprit is also slightly faster with a wider FOV. There is a good field flattener in the package to so you are ready to go. You will want hinged rings at some point but the foot will get you going. The Esprit is the better option for a new small imaging scope IMO anyway. 

• Janco likes this

#9 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Messenger

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:56 AM

I love my Esprit 80 so much that I now have an Esprit 120 waiting for at home to open up. The 80 is a great G&G also, working very good on my TWL1). Any reasonable ap mount will push it without a hitch. Right now mine is setting next to my C-8/E for visual use in AZ (visiting people). Fast optics (F5), quality build with nice accessories. While down here (near Tucson) we have been using it with my MOD 3 NV monocular, Ethos 8mm and Delos 6mm for general viewing only (splitting doubles, nebula's w/12 & 6nm filters, M31, g-clusters, etc). The views are pin point as one would expect. I am planning on putting it on a CEM25P for some SC "live stack" work in the spring. The 120 will ride a-top a CEM40 or 60 (yet to decide).

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0512-2.jpg
  • IMG_0589-2.jpg

• Janco likes this

#10 Janco

Janco

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:37 AM

Thanks everyone, 

Its seems pretty unanimous for the SW Esprit 80. You seem to get a lot of accessories extra with it (case, flattener etc.) which seem to justify the higher price to some extent. 

#11 YAOG

YAOG

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:29 PM

I love my Esprit 80 so much that I now have an Esprit 120 waiting for at home to open up. The 80 is a great G&G also, working very good on my TWL1). Any reasonable ap mount will push it without a hitch. Right now mine is setting next to my C-8/E for visual use in AZ (visiting people). Fast optics (F5), quality build with nice accessories. While down here (near Tucson) we have been using it with my MOD 3 NV monocular, Ethos 8mm and Delos 6mm for general viewing only (splitting doubles, nebula's w/12 & 6nm filters, M31, g-clusters, etc). The views are pin point as one would expect. I am planning on putting it on a CEM25P for some SC "live stack" work in the spring. The 120 will ride a-top a CEM40 or 60 (yet to decide).

The GEM45 has more than enough payload capacity to image with the SW Esprit 120 apo and is a better mount with a higher payload and lower weight per pound of payload than the CEM40. The GEM45 takes the mechanical lessions learned from the more complex CEM line and distilled them into a conventional yet improved GEM mount that is very stable and lighterweight yet using the same CEM40 drivetrain delivers over 10% more payload. Check it out.

The GEM45 is impressive enough that I would buy one if I didn't prefer the PUSH-TO Porter type slip-clutches used on Lomandy mounts over the GOTO only setup the iOptrons use. 

#12 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

Thanks everyone, 

Its seems pretty unanimous for the SW Esprit 80. You seem to get a lot of accessories extra with it (case, flattener etc.) which seem to justify the higher price to some extent. 

Never looked through an Esprit outside(Saw them at NEAF), but what I have read is that their optics are VERY good and consistent from sample to sample.  I would not under sell the optics as a contributing factor to the price differential.   I have owned a number of Synta products and by and large they have all been pretty darn good optically, and have compared well with much more expensive options that I have looked through.

JMD

#13 Suavi

Suavi

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: 20.25 deg South of the Equator

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:29 AM

OP narrowed it down to two scopes though...

Yet he was hoping for some controversy, so I did my best flowerred.gif

• nicknacknock and Janco like this

#14 HydrogenAlpha

HydrogenAlpha

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

Esprit 80 for sure. No contest there. It has fantastic quality, and at native it is a really fast f/5. The images I've seen from it rival those coming from the FSQ85. 

If you stick on the new starizona 0.65x reducer, you can send it to a speeding f/3.25. That's pretty much unheard of in the refractor world except for the Taks. 

• Janco likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics