•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO ASI 6200 MM PRO initial impressions

• Please log in to reply
1193 replies to this topic

#1151 dghent

dghent

Viking 1

• Vendors

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:54 PM

So ZWO is not a part of the tilt problem and you might just as well get the Gerd CTU from the get go?

If you have fast optics, I would just go ahead and do that and just factor it into the imaging train that you need to conjure up for your setup. With slower optics (say, slower than f/5) you *might* be able to make do with the tilt face on the ASI6200. A colleague images with his ASI6200 at f/7 and was able to get away with basic shimming and the camera's own tilt plate.

(aw heck, I just realized that I'm posting in the ASI6200 thread when I'm a QHY600 owner; either way, same deal. The color of the camera body matters not on this particular topic. Big sensor with small pixels is going to demand a lot, so be prepared.)

• Peter in Reno, tkottary and ezwheels like this

#1152 Astrobarn_

Astrobarn_

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:43 PM

How do you mount ZWO M68 OAG with your customized adapter?

Peter

EDIT: I re-read your post and looks like you're not using ZWO OAG. But I am little confused about adjusting for tilt.

I'm using the TS Optics M68 OAG.

To adjust tilt I determine the direction of the tilt from a test image, unscrew this adaptor and adjust the corresponding bolt that is mounted to the EFW. There is a ring of foam that is compressed under the adaptor to keep it light-tight.

#1153 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:57 PM

It's not the sensor. It's your entire imaging train that is involved in any tilt. The faster you run your optics at, the more apparent the tilt will be. You can have a camera that has the most perfectly orthogonal sensor relative to the optical axis, but if there is anything between it and the objective that is not almost perfectly straight, you will see it. This means that if you rely on compression rings anywhere, you will surely suffer. Threaded connections fare better, but still exhibit tilt somewhere. Depending on your focal ratio, you might be able to simply shim it out, but faster systems will need something very exacting, like a GN CTU.

I think in the case of tilt with this camera, it is largely due to the sensor not being installed with the precision required for fast optics.  I've spent a lot of my astro career dialing in tilt (Imaging with Newt at f4, f4.5 and f2.8 as well as AT92 reduced to f3.6) and in all cases I found that as long as you have a well collimated (or precisely put together refractor) AND use threaded connections AND the focuser is solid, the remnant tilt is due to lack of sensor orthogonality.  If this wasnt the case, a CTU would kind of be a waste of time... you would never be able to rotate your camera without having to go through the adjustment of tilt again.  I have found in all my cameras ZWO has had the worst record regarding tilt.  ASI 1600 and ASI 183 had significant tilt that needed correction with fast optics.  Even my QSI has a little tilt that I needed to shim the faceplate by 0.13mm to eliminate with my f3.6 refractor.

In ALL cases, once I dialed in the tilt, I could rotate the camera+Flattener/corrector freely, and there was no tilt with the new orientation.  This would suggest that tilt resided in the sensor orthogonality or at the very least between the sensor and the drawtube... although I have successfully swapped out correctors and field flatteners and retained tilt correction, so again, in my experience I suspect the sensor was the culprit. 

Of course, tilt is even more obvious, the larger the sensor, which I think is why it has become such a topic of conversation now that the 6200 has landed in more consumer's hands.  I dont believe that ZWO dropped the ball on this specific model, but rather that ZWO's process for installing sensors is not very precise and it's becoming obvious when people are combining the effects of a large sensor with faster optics. 

Edited by ChrisWhite, 21 September 2020 - 06:58 PM.

• leviathan, rockstarbill and bugbit like this

#1154 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:44 PM

I think in the case of tilt with this camera, it is largely due to the sensor not being installed with the precision required for fast optics.  I've spent a lot of my astro career dialing in tilt (Imaging with Newt at f4, f4.5 and f2.8 as well as AT92 reduced to f3.6) and in all cases I found that as long as you have a well collimated (or precisely put together refractor) AND use threaded connections AND the focuser is solid, the remnant tilt is due to lack of sensor orthogonality.  If this wasnt the case, a CTU would kind of be a waste of time... you would never be able to rotate your camera without having to go through the adjustment of tilt again.  I have found in all my cameras ZWO has had the worst record regarding tilt.  ASI 1600 and ASI 183 had significant tilt that needed correction with fast optics.  Even my QSI has a little tilt that I needed to shim the faceplate by 0.13mm to eliminate with my f3.6 refractor.

In ALL cases, once I dialed in the tilt, I could rotate the camera+Flattener/corrector freely, and there was no tilt with the new orientation.  This would suggest that tilt resided in the sensor orthogonality or at the very least between the sensor and the drawtube... although I have successfully swapped out correctors and field flatteners and retained tilt correction, so again, in my experience I suspect the sensor was the culprit. 

Of course, tilt is even more obvious, the larger the sensor, which I think is why it has become such a topic of conversation now that the 6200 has landed in more consumer's hands.  I dont believe that ZWO dropped the ball on this specific model, but rather that ZWO's process for installing sensors is not very precise and it's becoming obvious when people are combining the effects of a large sensor with faster optics. 

Would be curious to compare the QHY600 vs the ASI6200 wrt tilt issues.

• rockstarbill and ChrisWhite like this

#1155 bugbit

bugbit

Vendor - Octopi-Astro

• Vendors
  • Loc: west of seattle

Posted 21 September 2020 - 10:43 PM

Posted before.

The Critical Focus Zone of a F2 is some where between 5 and 12 microns (um) depending on light frequency (nm). Let's call it 12um for clarity.

The Critical Focus Zone of a F4 is roughly 50 microns(um) by the same standard.

The Critical Focus Zone of a F8 is roughly 200 um by the same standard.

A micron/um is 1/25400/inch = 0.0000393 inch

1/1000 of a inch is a relative term most machinists would call reasonably accurate.

1/1000 of a inch is 0.001

A um is -------------0.0000393.

The critical focus zone of the F2, 12um is 0.00047 inch. Pretty tough for ASI or QHY to get it set orthogonal.

• Terry White and RossW like this

#1156 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:01 AM

Posted before.

The Critical Focus Zone of a F2 is some where between 5 and 12 microns (um) depending on light frequency (nm). Let's call it 12um for clarity.

1/1000 of a inch is a relative term most machinists would call reasonably accurate.

The critical focus zone of the F2, 12um is 0.00047 inch. Pretty tough for ASI or QHY to get it set orthogonal.

Well, I'm at F/7...so feeling pretty comfortable :)

• telfish likes this

#1157 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:03 AM

Posted before.

With a laser test on the camera, they can fix it far better than they do. Their published orthogonality threshold is 50 microns and in testing the tilt in the camera it is twice or more as bad as that.

Edited by rockstarbill, 22 September 2020 - 02:21 AM.

• bugbit likes this

#1158 bugbit

bugbit

Vendor - Octopi-Astro

• Vendors

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:05 AM

Didn't know they(ASI or QHY?) published 50 um as spec. That's quite the braggadocio on their part for a $4k camera.

I have some differential adjusters that were recently acquired that claim 25um per revolution accuracy but they are still on the bench so I can't verify that as of yet. We'll see.

#1159 andysea

andysea

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:06 AM

What is the laser test? Do they measure the tilt of the actual surface of sensor? I wonder how it’s done.

#1160 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:20 AM

What is the laser test? Do they measure the tilt of the actual surface of sensor? I wonder how it’s done.

Starlight Xpress has that well documented.

The 50 micron tolerance was told to me by Sam at ZWO. A very long time ago when I complained about tilt in the 183MM-Pro camera.

#1161 bugbit

bugbit

Vendor - Octopi-Astro

• Vendors

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:40 AM

The laser is used to reflect off the sensor and the resulting grid determines if the sensor is at a 90 degree angle to the light cone. How accurate it is in um is debatable.

#1162 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

Posted 22 September 2020 - 05:00 AM

The laser is used to reflect off the sensor and the resulting grid determines if the sensor is at a 90 degree angle to the light cone. How accurate it is in um is debatable.

If you disagree, model it and share. 

#1163 BillyBoyBoy

BillyBoyBoy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:23 PM

Hello,

I wanted to chime in with something regarding the USB aspect of the discussion in this thread.

I have been slowly building my refractor AP rig and my goal is to eventually get a camera with the IMX455 chip.  Having another ZWO camera, I've been eyeing the ASI6200MM.

So I got a Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Advance for a hub.  Great product, and would have served all my needs power and data distribution-wise without any added tweaks or daisy-chaining...

until...

I come to find out that the ASI6200MM, as with all ZWO cameras that utilize USB 3.0, actually requires a USB 3.0 port with USB 2.0 backward compatibility.  Presumably, the chip in the camera that facilitates connectivity requires that it start up utilizing USB 2.0, and that at some point it switches to utilizing USB 3.0.  I know only what I've learned about USB, and that isn't enough to understand what that exactly means or why they did it that way.  I got the impression that it's not necessarily the norm.

The Pegasus hub I have has 4 USB ports, with port 1 being exclusively USB 3.0 with extra bus power.  USB 2.0 devices won't work on it.  The other 3 ports are backwards compatible with USB 2.0.  I can easily reconfigure cabling to put the camera in another port and utilize the USB 2.0 ports in the camera for my FW, but as my filter wheel and focus motor is USB 2.0, and my guider would be another ZWO camera, that renders port 1 unusable.  It's really no big deal, but it would have been good to know before I bought the hub.  I had overlooked the highlighted note on Pegasus' website about this, dang it.

Important Note:
A large number of USB3 Cameras from QHY and ZWO require USB2 signalling before switching to USB3.
These cameras are not going to work into USB Port1.
Please ask your camera manufacturer if your camera works into a USB3 (only) native port.

My contact at Pegasus didn't know why ZWO did it this way.  I was just curious if anyone knew about this and I felt it was worth putting out there for anyone that overlooked the note as I did.  Also, if I had known this, I would have spent less time troubleshooting why my laptop wasn't seeing my other ZWO camera that was plugged into port 1.

Bill 

#1164 R. Joshi

R. Joshi

Sputnik

• Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 30 September 2020 - 08:58 PM

All my ZWO cameras (6200, 183, 1600) have quite a bit of tilt.  It was really a pain to try and solve this under the stars  So I recently built a little jig using the idea from CCDer described here (pictures of his setup are here).  This technique really makes it a lot easier to tackle tilt.  I put my entire imaging train (camera + EFW + Neumann CTU) on a sheet of glass (see that post) and shine a laser directly at the camera and adjust the CTU to reflect the laser back on itself.  Once I've done this, it seems that the addition of adapters after the CTU (e.g., 68mm extension tubes, or a 68->72 mm Baader adapter) doesn't introduce any new tilt.

One limitation of this method is that figuring out when the laser is "reflecting back on itself" can be difficult to do precisely, but at least in my initial testing, I'm getting way better results than I got using other methods (e.g. focusing a bright star on each corner and using a Bahtinov mask to get it in focus).  Even better, once you have the setup, it takes only a couple of minutes.  One can improve the precision by putting the laser further away, but for now, I just have it around 2 feet from the camera.  I use a Hotech SCA collimator because it has the diagonal face plate with the opening from which the laser emerges.  So one just has to get the laser dot reflection to fall back into the same hole.

#1165 Ruediger

Ruediger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 October 2020 - 02:16 AM

I come to find out that the ASI6200MM, as with all ZWO cameras that utilize USB 3.0, actually requires a USB 3.0 port with USB 2.0 backward compatibility.  Presumably, the chip in the camera that facilitates connectivity requires that it start up utilizing USB 2.0, and that at some point it switches to utilizing USB 3.0.  I know only what I've learned about USB, and that isn't enough to understand what that exactly means or why they did it that way.  I got the impression that it's not necessarily the norm.

The Pegasus hub I have has 4 USB ports, with port 1 being exclusively USB 3.0 with extra bus power.  USB 2.0 devices won't work on it.  The other 3 ports are backwards compatible with USB 2.0.  I can easily reconfigure cabling to put the camera in another port and utilize the USB 2.0 ports in the camera for my FW, but as my filter wheel and focus motor is USB 2.0, and my guider would be another ZWO camera, that renders port 1 unusable.  It's really no big deal, but it would have been good to know before I bought the hub.  I had overlooked the highlighted note on Pegasus' website about this, dang it.

Important Note:
A large number of USB3 Cameras from QHY and ZWO require USB2 signalling before switching to USB3.
These cameras are not going to work into USB Port1.
Please ask your camera manufacturer if your camera works into a USB3 (only) native port.

My contact at Pegasus didn't know why ZWO did it this way.  I was just curious if anyone knew about this and I felt it was worth putting out there for anyone that overlooked the note as I did.  Also, if I had known this, I would have spent less time troubleshooting why my laptop wasn't seeing my other ZWO camera that was plugged into port 1.

Bill 

Hi Bill,

I cannot confirm your observations, since I use my ASI6200 via a Lindy fiber optic extender which is not capable of USB2. The used chip set is not capable of transmitting USB2 and my ASI works flawless with ASCOM, only the native driver via SDK have an issue with the very first download. After that first failed it works flawless all night long.

Before that I had connected the ASI on my PA UPBv2 on USB3 only port also with no issue at all.

Therefore I have some doubts about your observations.

CS

Ruediger

Edited by Ruediger, 01 October 2020 - 02:17 AM.

#1166 BillyBoyBoy

BillyBoyBoy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

They do say "a large number" of their cameras, but that doesn't mean all.  I misspoke.  I've got to slow my roll... I'm missing details.

Your experience with the camera in exclusively USB 3.0 is good evidence that the 6200 isn't among them.

Thank you,

Bill

Edited by BillyBoyBoy, 01 October 2020 - 10:37 AM.

#1167 herman2017

herman2017

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:52 AM

I just got an ASI6200MM and am trying to use it with TheSkyX and MaxIM DL.  I had problems with both so I tried NINA and it worked great.  But back to TheSkyX and MaxIm DL since they are integral to my workflow.

TheSkyX: I cannot get an image to successfully download using the ZWO X2 plugin.  I get an error (I think it's 204).  I tried changing bandwidth down to 40 but no joy.  If I switch to the ASCOM driver it seems to work.  I've read in this forum and others of people downloading the "latest ZWO X2 driver" but I don't know where to find that.

MaxIm DL: I don't see any native driver support so I tried the ASCOM driver.  I could get an image downloaded but I can't seem to disconnect the camera.  I press "Disconnect" and nothing seems to happen.  Eventually MaxIm DL will just crash or I have to restart.  Any ideas on how to use MaxIm DL with this camera?  I've used that program for 13 years with my Apogee Alta U16M and am kind of set in my ways... I was really hoping to use it with this new ASI6200MM.

Thanks in advance for any help out there...

Jeff

#1168 gregbradley

gregbradley

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:45 AM

I just looked for it again as I remember I had trouble with finding it when I got an ASI183mm.

So ZWO site

support

software

scroll down to near the bottom 3rd party capture and processing software

DSO imaging

The Sky

That worked a few months ago now it gets page not found.

If you also get that then better send off an email to ZWO and let us all know. I also use Sky X and if ASI6200 does not work on it with all the blurbs about ZWO has better software than QHY then wow.

Greg.

Greg.

#1169 rms40

rms40

Viking 1

• Loc: NW of Harper, TX

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:20 PM

I run all my ZWO cameras with Ascom - including ASI6200mm. They work fine with SKYX and Maxim DL. Be sure you select the Ascom properties when changing cameras or if you use two ZWOs. I have seen the wrong ZWO camera selected from the list when I use a ZWO guide and imaging camera. One gets assigned as ASIcamera1 and the other as ASIcamera2. I have to check that the right model is selected with the drop down list.

I have had trouble with native drivers with many cameras. Ascom seems the most stable and reliable to me.

It is also important to stick with the same gain/offset if you want to reuse bias and dark frames. I use an offset 26 and gain 100 on my ASI6200mm.

Randall

#1170 herman2017

herman2017

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:38 PM

Greg, I finally found the correct link on ZWO's site to get the latest X2 plugins.  You're right in that TheSkyX link is broken.  But there are more links next to it titled "camera", "efw", etc.  If you click those links you get the latest X2 plugins.  I installed them and now the native driver in TheSkyX seems to work fine.  Whew!

Randall, thanks.  In MaxIm DL I think I might have found a clue as to why MaxIm DL would crash if I try turning off the coolers and/or try disconnecting the camera.  I think this is only happening after I had tried earlier to launch "Camera Settings" in the Expose tab's Options menu.  Nothing appears to happen when selecting that menu item but then later, if I try to disconnect the camera and/or turn off the cooler I have problems.  Not certain this is the culprit but so far it seems like it.

Also, I've noticed with both native and ASCOM there doesn't seem to be a way to keep the cooler on after disconnecting.  I am accustomed to this capability with my Apogee Alta U16M and indeed TheSkyX even has an option to set this.  But that options seems to be ignored after disconnecting.  Is there something else I need to do to make sure the cooler can remain running even if disconnected, or is that just not possible with ASI cameras?

Jeff

#1171 rms40

rms40

Viking 1

• Loc: NW of Harper, TX

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:56 AM

Jeff,

I never figured out the cooler power. On my ASI1600, the TEC is on whenever power is supplied. It is only on at a low level but I can see that the camera is well below ambient when I connect. My ASI6200mm turns on the TEC and fan when power is applied. It seems to have saved the SKYX setting from previous disconnect/power down. But, when I disconnect from SKYX and reconnect in Maxim, the cooler seems to be off until I turn it on again. The same thing happens when I disconnect and reconnect in SKYX.

Let me know what you find. I haven't had much time to use my equipment lately. Maybe the X2 driver would be different.

Randall

Edited by rms40, 07 October 2020 - 07:14 AM.

#1172 herman2017

herman2017

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 October 2020 - 03:22 PM

I'm used to being careful to gradually warm cameras.  As soon as one disconnects the ASI, even if the purpose was to simply change a setting like gain or offset, it sends cooler power to 0%.  I guess ASI doesn't worry about thermal shock like other camera manufacturers.

Two other questions (mostly reflecting my newbie status to CMOS):

1. Half the images I get, the lower third of the image is "crunchy" with lots of horizontal-line distortion.  I have the USB speed all the way down to "40" and I'm using USB2.  Is this indeed a USB issue and I need to keep working on cabling and hub reduction?
  2. I don't really know what to do with "offset".  I have gain set to 100 and offset was initially defaulted to 50.  I changed it to 25 but not sure why really.  What is the common practice here?

Jeff

#1173 CCDer

CCDer

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:19 PM

I'm used to being careful to gradually warm cameras.  As soon as one disconnects the ASI, even if the purpose was to simply change a setting like gain or offset, it sends cooler power to 0%.  I guess ASI doesn't worry about thermal shock like other camera manufacturers.

Two other questions (mostly reflecting my newbie status to CMOS):

1. Half the images I get, the lower third of the image is "crunchy" with lots of horizontal-line distortion.  I have the USB speed all the way down to "40" and I'm using USB2.  Is this indeed a USB issue and I need to keep working on cabling and hub reduction?
  2. I don't really know what to do with "offset".  I have gain set to 100 and offset was initially defaulted to 50.  I changed it to 25 but not sure why really.  What is the common practice here?

Jeff

Jeff,

I've always brought my 7 CMOS cameras back to ambient temp gradually, usually over 4-5 min. It might be over caution but I think it's best practice to do so. I've noticed the 6200M moves back to ambient slower on its own than other cameras, probably due to sensor size and its thermal mass. So this camera may be different and require less caution. At any rate, it's certainly less sensitive to damage from just cutting power than smaller sensor cameras are. 

I run two 6200M cameras on tandem scopes using USB3.0 at "40" download speed using about 10feet of USB3 cable and have almost no errors using TheSkyX and the X2 driver...I take a lot of images, sometimes 10sec subs for many hours. The only error I've encountered is a single "out of memory" error from CCDSoft which I assume is a driver error but only after at least 500 images have been taken. I should try the ASCOM driver. 

I've seen parts of images partially corrupted in the past, whether using USB2 or 3 and it's usually a USB bandwidth limitation from equipment, cables or PC. I'd test with a very short cable. If that works, try longer and different cables. If longer cables don't work, I'd look into getting USB3 with its much much higher bandwidth. It's really needed with these "monster" size images.

The offset with the X2 driver is actually a "divided by 10" value. So I use a value of 20 with gives an actual value of 200 which is probably more than needed.. You might check the background value using a tool like PixInsight to check the lowest pixel values in an image. That will tell you what the actual offset is when using the ASCOM driver. Then adjust the offset accordingly. You really don't need an offset of 500 if the ASCOM is also a x10.setting. It just eats up more dynamic range than needed. You can go minimal with something <100, even <50 if you make sure processing isn't "bottoming out", possibly getting errors during calibration.

Mark

#1174 mxcoppell

mxcoppell

Viking 1

• Loc: Coppell, Texas

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:53 AM

Now I got this random download hanging problem. It happened twice last night during testing. 

- Guiding camera ASI120mm-mini and EFW both connected to 6200mm's USB Hub

- 6200mm USB3.0 connect to a powered Anker 7-port USB 3.0 hub, then the Anker hub connects to the control computer's USB 3.0 port.

- When it happened, SGP froze and PHD froze. SGP showing "Downloading...." and hangs there. No more refresh on PHD capture either. And all ASCOM drivers were not responding, including the mount. 

Here are the full log for that problematic frame:

[10/14/20 00:12:45.272][DEBUG][Camera Thread][SQ;] SGM_CAMERA_CAPTURE message received...
[10/14/20 00:12:45.274][DEBUG][Camera Thread][SQ;CC;] SetAscomGain to 100
[10/14/20 00:12:45.293][DEBUG][Camera Thread][SQ;CC;] Camera gain set to 100
[10/14/20 00:12:45.293][DEBUG][Camera Thread][SQ;CC;] SetAscomNormalSpeed...
[10/14/20 00:12:45.293][DEBUG][Camera Thread][SQ;CC;] Cannot set readout speed, not supported by camera...
[10/14/20 00:12:45.293][DEBUG][Camera Thread][SQ;CC;] ASCOM Camera: exposure started, waiting...
[10/14/20 00:12:45.315][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;CC;] EventMarker(13) - t:Veil-1 (0); e:3; f:35; o:
[10/14/20 00:13:09.962][DEBUG][Main Thread][SQ;CC;] PopulateDataModel:  Transferring view to the data model...
[10/14/20 00:13:09.993][DEBUG][MF Update Thread][SQ;CC;] Performing serialize...
[10/14/20 00:17:45.363][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;CC;] EventMarker(15) - t:Veil-1 (0); e:3; f:35; o:
[10/14/20 00:17:45.367][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;CC;] Waking from exposure time sleep period...
[10/14/20 00:17:45.367][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;CC;] Checking to see if the CCD has a temp...

[10/14/20 00:17:45.367][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;CC;] Saving the CCD temp...

[10/14/20 00:17:45.377][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;CC;] Entering super dangerous loop to await image completion...
[10/14/20 00:17:45.380][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;CC;] EventMarker(16) - t:Veil-1 (0); e:3; f:35; o:
[10/14/20 00:17:45.501][DEBUG][Camera Thread][SQ;CC;] ASCOM Camera: exposure complete, waiting for camera to report image ready...
[10/14/20 00:17:48.911][DEBUG][Camera Thread][SQ;CC;] ASCOM Camera: Data type -> System.Int32[,]
[10/14/20 00:17:48.911][INFO][Camera Thread][SQ;CC;] ASCOM Camera read image data took 1.85 seconds
[10/14/20 00:17:48.911][DEBUG][Camera Thread][SQ;] SGM_CAMERA_CAPTURE complete...
[10/14/20 00:17:48.911][DEBUG][Camera Thread][SQ;] Camera thread is IDLE...
[10/14/20 00:17:49.391][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;] EventMarker(17) - t:Veil-1 (0); e:3; f:35; o:
[10/14/20 00:17:49.391][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;] Image reported as complete.  Continuing...
[10/14/20 00:20:45.393][DEBUG][Main Thread][SQ;] Adding sequence level notification: (fsq106-6200-calibration) Failure while integrating Veil-1; Event 4; Frame 36 for 300s. Image has not downloaded in alloted time period.
[10/14/20 01:41:57.017][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;] Collecting FITs headers...
[10/14/20 01:41:57.019][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;] ASCOM Camera: Could not get last exposure start time.  Reported as (unknown)
[10/14/20 01:41:57.019][DEBUG][Sequence Thread][SQ;] DATE-LOC time provided by SGPro (failed to retrieve valid entry from camera)...
[10/14/20 02:37:48.468][DEBUG][PHD2 Listener Thread][SQ;] Attempting to connect to PHD2...
[10/14/20 02:37:50.521][DEBUG][PHD2 Listener Thread][SQ;] Failed to establish client connection to PHD2 using port 4400: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:4400

Notice that it all started from this one:

[10/14/20 00:20:45.393][DEBUG][Main Thread][SQ;] Adding sequence level notification: (fsq106-6200-calibration) Failure while integrating Veil-1; Event 4; Frame 36 for 300s. Image has not downloaded in alloted time period.

I believe at the same time PHD was not able to download exposure from the ASI120mm-mini either and led to the following:

[10/14/20 02:37:48.468][DEBUG][PHD2 Listener Thread][SQ;] Attempting to connect to PHD2...
[10/14/20 02:37:50.521][DEBUG][PHD2 Listener Thread][SQ;] Failed to establish client connection to PHD2 using port 4400: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:4400

Anybody has suggestions to counter this issue? The scenario looks like to me was that a common sector failed - either the 6200mm hub'ed connection or ASCOM software layer.

I am planning to execute the following:

- Run a dedicated USB 3.0 cable from 6200mm to the control computer's USB 3.0 port (recommended on SGP Forum)

- Connecting both guiding camera and EFW to the Anker hub instead of connecting to ASI6200mm.

- Run NINA and use ZWO native driver for 6200mm

#1175 BillyBoyBoy

BillyBoyBoy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:34 AM

I have been seeing that problem over the last two nights in SGP and I'm currently using a dedicated 9' USB 3.0 cable directly from laptop to camera (ASI174MM) and I'm not using PHD2.  It seems I have to shut down SGP and restart it to stop it.  Once restarted, I don't have the issue.  From that, I would suppose it not to be file size of the sub or a cable issue.

Bill

• mxcoppell likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics