•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Baader 32mm plossl.,thoughts.,

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 17 November 2019 - 04:47 PM

I have one coming Tuesday.,Anybody care to share their experience with this ep.,Thanks.,

• Cali likes this

#2 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:02 PM

Pretty sharp, although limited field stop IMO with slightly correspondingly smaller FOV.

med_gallery_249298_10580_100179.jpg

Eye relief feels longish but they are supplied with eyeguard extensions. 

• denis0007dl, clearwaterdave and Cali like this

#3 CeleNoptic

CeleNoptic

Apollo

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic, Bortle 7

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:04 PM

https://www.cloudyni...vs-gso-plössls/

https://stargazerslo...0mm-npl-plossl/

https://stargazerslo...e-story-so-far/

if you're a registered A-marter, than check out this

https://astromart.co...-32mm-eyepieces

Edited by CeleNoptic, 17 November 2019 - 05:13 PM.

• John Huntley, Sarkikos, eros312 and 1 other like this

#4 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 17 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

The Baader 32mm has better contrast than the GSO equivalent. The field stop has a wide range of focus. If you want a wider field, you can thread out the field stop, and the Baader will have as wide a field as other Plössls. I left the field stop in place with mine, as it makes for more comfortable viewing.

• clearwaterdave and nicoledoula like this

#5 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:12 PM

Any comparos with the 32 TV Plossl?

Mike

#6 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

Any comparos with the 32 TV Plossl?

Mike

I can't recall there being any real differences. The Baader impressed me a lot with its clarity and contrast. There is a difference in size though, with the TV having a noticeably bigger field stop. I'm fairly sure the Baader has a slightly smaller FOV than 50 degrees. Plus, the eye relief is more manageable with the Baader.

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 18 November 2019 - 12:21 PM.

• Sarkikos, clearwaterdave and nicoledoula like this

#7 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:50 PM

if you're a registered A-marter, than check out this

https://astromart.co...-32mm-eyepieces

In this review, David Russell compared GSO/Parks Plossl, Baader Classic Plossl, TV Plossl, Brandon and 35 Orthoscopic.  His preference was for the Brandon and the 35 Orthoscopic.

My personal preference is for the top aesthetic performance and thus the 32mm Brandon and 35mm Ultrascopic are my preference among the eyepieces considered in this review.

Mike

• nicoledoula likes this

#8 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:10 PM

To be "equal", with comfort and larger FOV obviously being in favor of the Ultima type, the Brandon had to be superior in other areas.........

#9 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:58 PM

The Baader 32mm is 45 degrees.
  • clearwaterdave and bbqediguana like this

#10 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

The Baader 32mm is 45 degrees.

Yes, It definitely shows. I knew it was smaller than the BCO's.

gallery_249298_5348_14999.jpg

I finally found where I put this PDF then found I couldn't attach it lol. I'd say it was smaller than the 50 degrees stated here, and I'm sceptical about the 52 degree claim of the BCO's.

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 19 November 2019 - 02:12 PM.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#11 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:43 PM

I can't recall there being any real differences. The Baader impressed me a lot with its clarity and contrast. There is a difference in size though, with the TV having a noticeably bigger field stop. I'm fairly sure the Baader has a slightly smaller FOV than 50 degrees. Plus, the eye relief is more manageable with the Baader.

Again, the Baader has a removable field stop, making it the same apparent field of view as all the others. You do sacrifice viewing comfort, though, when you remove it. The Baader then becomes just as uncomfortable as the rest.

• nicoledoula likes this

#12 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:46 PM

Again, the Baader has a removable field stop, making it the same apparent field of view as all the others. You do sacrifice viewing comfort, though, when you remove it. The Baader then becomes just as uncomfortable as the rest.

Thanks. So using a smaller field stop reduces the FOV, in turn shortening the long eye relief?

#13 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:56 PM

Thanks. So using a smaller field stop reduces the FOV, in turn shortening the long eye relief?

You can either use the Baader 32mm with the field stop or without it. You get a wider field without it. I haven't done eye relief checks. I would describe the comfort of having the field stop installed as consisting of being more forgiving of eye placement. Most 32mm Plössls are a bit finicky about where you put your eye; the Baader, not so much.

#14 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:00 PM

You can either use the Baader 32mm with the field stop or without it. You get a wider field without it. I haven't done eye relief checks. I would describe the comfort of having the field stop installed as consisting of being more forgiving of eye placement. Most 32mm Plössls are a bit finicky about where you put your eye; the Baader, not so much.

OK thanks, I may experiment by removing the field stop. 

#15 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:05 PM

OK thanks, I may experiment by removing the field stop. 

Cool, I'd like to read about your impressions.

#16 John Huntley

John Huntley

Vanguard

• Loc: Portishead, SW England - mentioned in the Domesday Book.

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:13 PM

Having used a Baader 32mm plossl, I reckon removing the field stop would lead to a wider apparent field but at the expense of some aberration in that additional field.

There is usually a reason why a particular field stop diameter is chosen by the manufacturer.

• clearwaterdave and Shorty Barlow like this

#17 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:14 PM

The eye relief should get shorter only if the eye lens gets smaller.

Reducing the AFOV reduces astigmatism, lateral chromatic aberration, vignetting, field edge softness,

but shouldn't reduce the eye relief unless the lenses change.

It's even possible the reduced AFOV, coupled with the same lenses, might INCREASE the eye relief.

• John Huntley, Sarkikos, clearwaterdave and 2 others like this

#18 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:45 PM

Hello all.,thank you for all the feedback.,I recieved the ep today and it came with what I believe to be the removable field stop in a seperate bag.,Does this sound right?.,

A quick daytime view showed a bit of a soft field stop.,I'm betting if I thread this thing in this will change?.,Also.,as is.,my eyelashes were touching which surprized me it being a 32mm.,

No blacking out though.,that was nice.,

I like that it's light weight.,and the birdies looked very good.,

If it doesn't bean on me during nighttime use I will be very pleased with it.,cheers.,

• Peter Besenbruch likes this

#19 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:22 PM

The eye relief should get shorter only if the eye lens gets smaller.

Reducing the AFOV reduces astigmatism, lateral chromatic aberration, vignetting, field edge softness,

but shouldn't reduce the eye relief unless the lenses change.

It's even possible the reduced AFOV, coupled with the same lenses, might INCREASE the eye relief.

Thanks Don. I thought it would be an odd thing to reduce eye relief with a smaller field stop. I think I'll leave the stops in my 32's after all.

#20 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:24 PM

Hello all.,thank you for all the feedback.,I recieved the ep today and it came with what I believe to be the removable field stop in a seperate bag.,Does this sound right?.,

A quick daytime view showed a bit of a soft field stop.,I'm betting if I thread this thing in this will change?.,Also.,as is.,my eyelashes were touching which surprized me it being a 32mm.,

If it doesn't bean on me during nighttime use I will be very pleased with it.,cheers.,

There are removable plastic push-fit eyeguard extensions.

• clearwaterdave and nicoledoula like this

#21 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:28 PM

Having used a Baader 32mm plossl, I reckon removing the field stop would lead to a wider apparent field but at the expense of some aberration in that additional field.

There is usually a reason why a particular field stop diameter is chosen by the manufacturer.

Yeah, Baader should know what they're doing. OK, maybe not including the original Morpheus eyeguard. lol

• John Huntley and Peter Besenbruch like this

#22 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:30 PM

Cool, I'd like to read about your impressions.

I couldn't see a way to remove it easily anyway. I think I'll leave them in. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

#23 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:40 PM

Mine was installed.

Mine has a fixed, small ridge that functions as a field stop in the absence of the one that threads in and out. For my eyes (far sighted), both the permanent ridge, and the actual field stop were out of focus. Removing the eyepiece barrel (the bottom portion) let me thread out the actual field stop, and rethread it from and closer to the bottom of the barre. Thus it is quite sharp for me.

In an earlier exchange with Don Pensack, he reports that his eyes are quite different, and that he needs the field stop closer to the eyepiece lenses. Everyone is different.

All 32mm Plössls I have dealt with were a bit finicky when it came to eye placement, with the exception of the Baader when the field stop is threaded in. Good luck.

#24 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:43 PM

I couldn't see a way to remove it easily anyway. I think I'll leave them in. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Like I said earlier, it simply threads out. You may need to remove the bottom portion of the eyepiece (the part that goes into the focuser), but there is no danger of lenses falling out. The lenses are held in place with separate rings.

#25 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

Like I said earlier, it simply threads out. You may need to remove the bottom portion of the eyepiece (the part that goes into the focuser), but there is no danger of lenses falling out. The lenses are held in place with separate rings.

Yeah, I unthreaded the barrel and I could see the stop. Unfortunately I have to do all this predominantly with my left hand as I'm partially paralysed in my right arm and hand. I have some limited dexterity in my right, and I can hold things with my right hand in a limited way. Perhaps if I'd persevered more I might have achieved it. But as the general consensus was that it probably wouldn't improve things, I decided to leave it where it was.

sml_gallery_249298_10131_236762.jpg

In my experience, the 30mm Vixen NPL has the most ergonomically comfortable eye positioning for a 30mm-ish Plossl.

sml_gallery_249298_10131_67877.jpg

The 32mm TV is so bad it needs a pair of extensions.

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 21 November 2019 - 05:43 PM.

• John Huntley, clearwaterdave and j.gardavsky like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics