•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can YouTube videos be downloaded?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Carol L

Carol L

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:56 PM

I'd like to download a few astro-videos to my laptop.

Does anyone know if that's possible?

(I'm not a computer nerd, so please be gentle.)

Thanks!! flowerred.gif

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Gemini

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:02 PM

Just

https://www.4kdownload.com/

Just like this wonderful site, a donation is appreciated.

Edited by Dynan, 17 November 2019 - 11:03 PM.

#3 rekokich

rekokich

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:23 PM

Freeware

https://www.any-video-recorder.com/

#4 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:26 PM

Is it legal?

#5 markb

markb

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 17 November 2019 - 11:45 PM

Until I retired in December I frequently used YTD (YouTube Downloader) to download videos for Chem and MS Science, as well as for three times some rocket scientist decided I should teach art.

I never trusted the school internet so everything came with me as a download on a drive.

Simple and worked without problems. Free for ordinary use, Win10 compatible.

YouTube modifies the way their video are broken and reassembled so regular updating or redownloading is needed. YTD was always good with the updates.

https://www.ytddownloader.com

#6 rk2k2

rk2k2

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:14 AM

Legality can be an issue but if you're interested in any videos on YouTube, simply contact the publisher (whoever it was that posted it) and ask if they would send a copy (or provide a location to download it from).  I'm not familiar with YouTube legal policy, but I THINK a video you post on YouTube becomes their property (not the original, just the video on their server). 

#7 Francopoli

Francopoli

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio Valley, USA

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:31 AM

I use the "4K video downloader" linked below to grab full resolution NASA and ESA videos for my presentations.  Seems to work well. I've not used it for anything other than public domain space stuff, so not sure how well it works on other content.  The free version will grab HD video. 

https://www.4kdownload.com/

#8 scadvice

scadvice

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:50 AM

I just tried the "4K video downloader" and it works very well. I'm not a legal guy but I would think that if you are only copying for your own viewing no one would complain. It's not like your redistributing and selling them. I copied some made about PixInsight that the producer even encouraged me to copy. I originally copied them with another program (Not one mentioned here) that went bad so I dumped it. I suggest subscribing to and "like" so any video's you copy they get credit for.

I'm giving a talk in a few months with some short you tube video's made by others I e-mail them for permission both have responded back that it was OK to use theirs. I also give a little intro before the video.This was for the local astro club and I am not being paid nor are the club members paying.

Edited by scadvice, 18 November 2019 - 01:54 AM.

#9 Carol L

Carol L

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

Thanks so much, everyone! Yes, the downloaded videos would be strictly for my own use. I'm way out in the boonies and my astro-shed is too far from the house for my laptop to pick up the satellite internet signal. Being able to download some of the instructional 'how-to' videos will save a lot of running back and forth to keep checking the video when I'm doing something with the equipment out there. Thanks again!

#10 rk2k2

rk2k2

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:13 AM

my astro-shed is too far from the house for my laptop to pick up the satellite internet signal.

Depending upon your logistics (ie- direct line of sight from house to shed, etc), simple solution might be to just get internet access to your shed.  Many possible solutions to do that, contact your provider.

First result I searched/ opened- dug up their product selector (you can enter your own parameters):

https://ethernetexte...oduct-selector/

This is only one type of solution, you may be able to use something as simple as a wireless repeater

Edited by rk2k2, 18 November 2019 - 11:23 AM.

#11 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:31 PM

Is it legal?

If it's for your own private use yes it's legal.  So long as you aren't reposting or redistributing it, free or otherwise.

For downloading, I've used YTD Downloader and 4K Downloader.  Both work fine, but for the free ones I prefer 4K Downloader since YTD will install adware and other unwelcome (nonmalicious) junk onto your computer during setup if you're not watching. 

My own personal preference at the moment is Digiarty's VideoProc and WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe; these two are purchased apps, bought as a package deal with WinX DVD Copy Pro and WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.  This package is the most up-to-date and universal application I know of, as I haven't found any freeware kept this current wrt Codecs and universal capabilities.  They also make the same apps for Mac sold as MacX DVD.

#12 lambermo

lambermo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:34 PM

Locally on your own computer https://ytdl-org.git...e-dl/index.html for Windows, Mac and Linux. And free. And open source https://github.com/y...org/youtube-dl/

-- Hans

Edited by lambermo, 18 November 2019 - 03:34 PM.

#13 cmholm

cmholm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:41 AM

If you have Firefox available, you can install the add-on Video DownloadHelper from downloadhelper dot net. I've found it is usually able to handle YouTube videos.

A quick perusal of the YouTube ToS doesn't appear to show an objection to saving content locally on your computer... and as a practical matter it can't, because audio and video streaming code by their nature usually write pieces of the content to local disk as a buffer. 

#14 lphilpot

lphilpot

Apollo

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:26 AM

Look for MeddleMonkey on the Chrome extensions store. They have a YouTube downloader extension (I've not used it yet). If you're on Linux, there's the "YouTube to MP3" app but it's audio-only. y2mate can download audio and video.

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

If it's for your own private use yes it's legal.  So long as you aren't reposting or redistributing it, free or otherwise.

What makes you think that?

Jon

#16 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2019 - 04:11 PM

What makes me think that Jon, and take what I say for what it's worth, but my perception is based on both copyright law on copying of "information" for personal use, and the lack of any lawsuits (especially lawsuit happy Sony and Disney) against any of the commercial (purchase to use) download and ripping software such as Digiarty's WinXDVD and MacXDVD. 

YouTube does not restrict downloads; some sites do, but for non-paid sites it's most often it's either based on how they embed their videos into their pages, or for private registered members use, instead of a deliberate lockdown from download.  If you create and upload a video to YouTube, you're putting that likely non-copyrighted product into the public domain for free public use, and you're entrusting both YouTube and us viewers that it will not be redistributed without your express permission.  Those who would illegally redistribute wouldn't bother with permission anyway and would figure out a way around any such lock, and software for such acts would be illegal to sell on the open commercial market instead of being legally sold like now.  The commercial software would only be able to be sold on the dark web with transactions through digital currency.

Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much, but if it's for your own personal use, then you're not hurting anyone - in which case it's neither illegal nor immoral.

Edited by Steve Cox, 29 November 2019 - 04:52 PM.

#17 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:30 PM

It is rarely legal to download material that has a copywrite unless you have the permission of the owner. See "fair use" for the reasons why it might be allowed. 

Equally important, it's against the TOS on YouTube to download any video. That's what on the site. 

"You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy...…"  https://www.youtube....?template=terms

So, answers have been given and I'm going to lock this thread now.

Rgrds-Ross

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics