•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Connecting a laptop to Synscan v5 for EQMOD. EQM 35 pro.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ConnorM

ConnorM

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:22 AM

I just got a new eqm 35 pro that has what i believe to the a V5 version of synscan because of a lack of a rsr232 port anywhere on the mount or hand controller.  

This is my first big boy mount (just upgraded from a star adventurer) and am trying to get my software linked to the hardware of my system.  I have downloaded all the drivers from Skywatcher in regards to ascom, the ascom platform, and eqmod related software.  

I am running windows 7 on an older laptop and found once I have the software running and the mount running and done a fake alignment with the mount and put it into pc direct mode then connecting to the mount with a usb A to usb B cable my laptop will make the noise for a new device detected but no COM ports become visible so all the eqmod and ascom software cannot see the mount.  I have tried to do things in a few different orders and swapped in between various USB ports of the laptop with no luck.  

The previous owner of the mount told me he connected with the same style of cable ( from how he described to me) and had no issues so I am not sure what road block I am currently hitting. 

I am some what lost on what trouble shooting I can do and what step I can take next to get my system working.  

Any advice? 

#2 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:01 AM

Did you try the EQMOD toolbox and use the auto-detect option in the connection settings?

Btw: If you are using PC Direct Mode, there is not set up or alignment required. The moment you activate PC Direct Mode it does not matter, what you set in your handset before.

Just turn on your mount, skip through the initialization and activate PC Direct Mode. After that connect the USB cable to your laptop. After hearing the "new device sound" start the EQMOD toolbox and try auto-detection.
It is possible that you need to download and set up drivers for the USB adapter separately. Usually, Windows will do that for you and install the correct driver (likely FDTI). But it is worth a try.

Regarding the COM ports: Are you sure, you are looking at the right place in the device manager?

I hope one of those suggestions leads you to the right path. I just can say that it worked flawlessly for me. But I am using Windows 10 and EQ6-R with the SynScan Handset with USB Port.

— Paul

Edited by Paul Garais, 18 November 2019 - 07:02 AM.

#3 ConnorM

ConnorM

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the help!

I will have to check, I read somewhere there is a specific driver for the rsr232 converter inside of the hand control which I am not sure I have downloaded. 

When the mount is plugged into the computer, it attempts to get drivers but fails so I might have to hunt down the specific driver. 

In regards to the COM ports, year I am 99 percent sure I am looking at the right thing based on all the info I have read and seen.  Just seems my laptop wont play nice.  

When I get home from work tonight I will attempt to find and install that specific driver for the USB A to B connection to the handset.  

Thanks for the hand so far, it is a tad overwhelming trying to go from a star adventurer to a full mount that you have very little clue how to use along with the fact I am trying to start using NINA at the same time for my Canon 450D so it is basically learning 2 new aspects at once and they work hand in hand. 

• Paul Garais likes this

#4 Dwight J

Dwight J

Gemini

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:33 PM

Make sure your hand controller is updated to the latest version.  In EQmod select HEQ5 mount.  I just updated the handcontroller so far but haven’t tried to connect to EQmod.  I forgot where I read to select HEQ5 mount.  IIRC, the EQ3 SynScan, which is what I have, is not listed in the drop down box for mount selection.  That was a while ago so it may have been added since.

#5 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for the hand so far, it is a tad overwhelming trying to go from a star adventurer to a full mount that you have very little clue how to use along with the fact I am trying to start using NINA at the same time for my Canon 450D so it is basically learning 2 new aspects at once and they work hand in hand.

Same for me. I also started with a Star Adventurer and some Milky Way images with my DSLR. I avoided the jump to a computer supported setup even after buying an EQ6-R for a "long" time by using a standalone autoguider and DSLR.

Just one more hint: Start using your mount without EQMOD. You will have one less "part" that has it's own quirks. You can connect it in N.I.N.A. and other astro imaging software without extra software. Just drivers.

— Paul

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics