•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SVBONY CLS clip-in filter for Canon.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 asanmax

asanmax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:32 AM

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share my experience using the inexpensive SVBONY CLS filter that I recently bought off amazon, I hope this quick review will help someone.

This is by no means a promotion of the filter, just my honest opinion.

I typically shoot from my backyard in a Bortle 8 zone and it has always been a challenge to collect the faint details of the DSO's. I have to take a lot of images and it is quite time consuming even though I don't even do anything when my setup is taking pictures.

So reading about light suppression filters, I thought it could be a good addition to my camera especially when shooting emission nebulae.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a CLS filter and decided to give the SVBONY CLS one a try.

I was actually surprised by the performance of that filter, it does a good job on filtering the city lights and bringing up the faint details of the nebulae. Of course this filter is not a good solution for shooting reflection nebulae and galaxies as it filters out some good light from those objects, so my plan is to use it only with Ha and OIII emission nebulae.

Here is the comparison of two images, both are taken with the following parameters: ES ED80 APO triplet, ISO1600, no filter: 60sec, with the filter: 120sec.

Attached Thumbnails

• Comparison.jpg

#2 asanmax

asanmax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:34 AM

And here is the final stacked image of 17 frames, each 120sec at ISO1600

The magenta tint is removed either during the stacking process or in Photoshop.

Attached Thumbnails

• Final_processed.jpg

• FLT-Astro likes this

#3 FLT-Astro

FLT-Astro

Sputnik

• Loc: AL, USA

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:25 AM

Thanks for the information and picture comparisons.  I think I’ll take the chance and get one too. I don’t expect the SVBony CLS filter to excel like the expensive filters but at least it seems to be helpful in some way.  Overall very nice, short and helpful review.

#4 mxpwr

mxpwr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:38 AM

What Canon did you use? Is it modded?

Edited by mxpwr, 18 November 2019 - 07:39 AM.

#5 asanmax

asanmax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

What Canon did you use? Is it modded?

I should have mentioned before, I used a Canon T3i, Ha modified (just LP2 filter removed), hence the red/magenta tint on the image.

Edited by asanmax, 18 November 2019 - 11:24 AM.

#6 asanmax

asanmax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:52 AM

I've been shooting more targets with the CLS filter, now I'm absolutely sure that buying that filter was a good decision.

Pacman Nebula

25x180sec @ ISO800
Canon T3i modified
Explore Scientific ED80
CLS filter

Attached Thumbnails

• Final.jpg

Edited by asanmax, 21 November 2019 - 02:52 AM.

• gkarris likes this

#7 gkarris

gkarris

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago Area

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:14 PM

I've been shooting more targets with the CLS filter, now I'm absolutely sure that buying that filter was a good decision.

Pacman Nebula

25x180sec @ ISO800
Canon T3i modified
Explore Scientific ED80
CLS filter

Awesome!

Thanks for the review. I had this filter, returned it as it didn't seem to do anything visually. Is it mainly for AP?

Also, would it be better to get the 1.25 inch one so I can just use it before the T-ring and on any camera?

Thanks!

#8 asanmax

asanmax

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:52 PM

Awesome!

Thanks for the review. I had this filter, returned it as it didn't seem to do anything visually. Is it mainly for AP?

Also, would it be better to get the 1.25 inch one so I can just use it before the T-ring and on any camera?

Thanks!

You are welcome!

I only use the filter for imaging with my Ha modified cameras and I get some great results from my heavily light polluted backyard.

I did some visual tests of course by looking through the filter at the full spectrum produced by the Sun and a prism. It filters out yellowish part of it. 

So yes, I guess it is meant for AP. To answer your question, I bet the 1.25" filter is the same glass and it will work similarly.

I have to mention that I tried using the filter to shoot the Triangulum Galaxy and just confirmed that it is suitable for emission nebulae only as it passes the Ha and OIII and some IR amazingly well, filtering out about 80% of city light.

I was not going to post this but SVBONY Canada support messaged me and let me know if any fellow astronomers would like to buy something from them, they can give better prices. I guess they are on a hunt for North American market :)

• gkarris likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics