•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Problem with phd2

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Baird TX

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:03 AM

I have my zwo 120mc-s hooked up to a oag. In sharpcap I can see stats but not in phd2. I have set gaidar to 100. And still nothing.inhave my focal lenth at 1422. Wich is what is should be for mybedge hd 8 with the .7x focal reducer. I have tried all the way up to 30s loop.

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:12 AM

Are you in focus when using Sharpcap with the camera? You should be in sharp focus. 

Don't quite understand "I have set guider to 100." Which driver are you using? ASCOM or ZWO? When you click "connect" is everything OK or does PhD2 complain? 

Shine a light in the camera window. Does it register in PhD2? 

The ZWO 120MC-S is very inadequate as an OAG camera, but if you you are seeing stars in Sharpcap *while it's on the OAG* you should be able to see stars in PhD2 at comparable exposures. 

#3 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:41 AM

Sorry I set the camera gain to 100. I tried all different settings. I am in focus. I set it up during the day, had both in focus. When it got dark i focused the main camera, and switched to the guide camera and could see nice stars but just a few. I pointed at a double cluster. This way there would be plenty of stars. In sharp cap I saw a few stars in shapcap with the 120. but could not see anything in phd2. There were no complaints comming up. this was my first time using phd2. I downloaded it today. went threw the wizard. it found my camera and it filled in everything. I only changed the scope focal lenth to my scope. then went threw the master dark frames. and then could not see any stars. I clicked on the brain and set the camera gain to 100 to see if I could bring up anything. I could not get any stars at all. I am using the ascom drivers.

#4 Tapio

Tapio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:10 AM

What exposure have you set in PHD ?

#5 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:09 AM

I set it at different times. From 1s to 30s.

#6 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:17 AM

Did you adjust the display in PHD2 to show more stars?

Alex

#7 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:06 AM

I do not know how to do that but I will look it up
  • Astrojm11 likes this

#8 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

Ok I have my camera connected. To phd2 and I shined a light down the telescope and everything is still black

#9 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:11 PM

Remove the camera from the scope. Point it at a bright light (like a flashlight.) Set your exposure to one second, and watch if it picks up an image. It should be all white from the bright light. Then cover the front of the camera so no light gets in. It should go black. IN two second intervals. If it does not, move the slider under the image pane. and try again. If nothing happens on that, either, you do not have the camera connected, or it is not working. 

Alex

#10 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:48 PM

Ok just got it to find a star and started guiding. Will let you know how it goes.

#11 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:57 PM

Getting a complaint that the calibration is 39.9 degrees. I have done a polar alignment in cpwi and star calibration.

#12 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 09:24 PM

The next time I got a calibration error star did not move enough

#13 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:38 PM

For what it's worth, PHD2 has never completed a calibration run with my Celestron AVX mount without complaining about something.  I guide anyway, and it turns out fine.

That's not to say there's not something that can be tuned, but some times it's best to pat it gently on the back and say "it's ok, we know you're just trying to be accurate", accept the calibration, and let it run.

#14 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:50 PM

For what it's worth, PHD2 has never completed a calibration run with my Celestron AVX mount without complaining about something.  I guide anyway, and it turns out fine.

That's not to say there's not something that can be tuned, but some times it's best to pat it gently on the back and say "it's ok, we know you're just trying to be accurate", accept the calibration, and let it run.

sounds good thanks

#15 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:59 PM

Just went out to check it. I have been imaging the pinwheel for 1 hour. it moved from center about 2 inches. still well in fov, but I get that much with sharpcap plat solving. so I guess i need to look at some fine tuning some how.

#16 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:39 AM

Just went out to check it. I have been imaging the pinwheel for 1 hour. it moved from center about 2 inches. still well in fov, but I get that much with sharpcap plat solving. so I guess i need to look at some fine tuning some how.

Sounds like it might have found a hot pixel to guide on instead of a real star...  What does the guiding graph look like?  It should look a bit like an EKG, only turned down a bunch.  And if you touch the telescope ever so gently, the graph should reflect the disturbance.

#17 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:04 AM

Maybe that's why I got the error that it didn't move. The star it auto picked was barley viable. Maybe I should select the star

#18 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:04 AM

Ok I am trying again now it moves so much it looses the star. And beeps at me. I started all over. Rebalance my setup. Starsense auto align. All star polar align. Then selected orion. Only see one star. But phd2 looses the star. The graph showes it moving up and down in small increments then jumps way up and looses the star

#19 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:49 AM

Why would I get low and, low hdf in phd2

#20 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:37 AM

What do you mean by "low?"

And, hot pixels give very low HDF's.

ALex

#21 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:24 PM

I last night when I switched to orion. I got a real noisy screen and in the bottom it kept saying lost star. Low and. Then it would go a few more seconds and error was lost star low hdf. And the rest of the night was the same way. Had to shut down.

#22 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

Ok I just sent my star sense back. Because it was going crazy. Not sure why but when I took star sense off and rebalance my mount tracking is better. I still cannot get this camera to work that good. I switched over to my 94 and it seemed to find stars. When I get my refund I'm going to get the zwo 299mm mini. It looks like a good guide camera.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics