•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Source for SBIG ST-Series replacement desiccant plugs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gert

Gert

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

Hello All,

Working with an oooold ST10XME camera here. Looking for spare SBIG desiccant plugs (not the Particle Wave Tech. aftermarket replacement). Any supplies out there?

Thanks,

Gert

Edited by Gert, 18 November 2019 - 11:44 AM.

#2 skytele

skytele

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:40 PM

Desiccant packs can be recharged.

I do not know what size "plugs" you are after. You might ask your pharmacy for some of the "pellets" that come in medicine bottles.

Edited by skytele, 18 November 2019 - 01:02 PM.

#3 Gert

Gert

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:44 PM

Hi skytele,

Not happy with the 'bags'.

Desiccant packs can be recharged.

I've added a new 'bag' into the Particle Wave cartridge, days ago and the camera happily frosted up once the initial cooldown was under way last night. The generic plugs seem to suck up moisture in the camera much better once it is freshly baked.

Called SBIG today, but the lady on the phone said they no longer carry the ST-series plugs.

So sad.

Clear Skies,

Gert

#4 artem2

artem2

Ranger 4

• ****-
  • Loc: Österreich (no kangaroos in Austria)

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:30 PM

Hi Gert, are you then searching for a "generic plugs for ST10XME" or do you already have one "generic plugs"

Since I have an 10XME, and I was able to open the "generic plugs" amd exchange the OLD "Silca Gel" with a new one and since then no problems..

Cheers

Martin

#5 Gert

Gert

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:37 PM

Hi Martin

I like to have a few good original SBIG plugs in reserve. They are no longer sold and I want to use my camera in the future.

Clear Skies
Gert

#6 artem2

artem2

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:46 PM

Ok Gert, understood confused1.gif  I did also buy this product Farpoint SBIG CCD Camera Replacement Desiccant Plug System.

just google for it and you will find them, are sill sold..

Martin

Edited by artem2, 20 November 2019 - 02:49 PM.

#7 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:48 PM

I had problems with the Particle Wave version with the replacement packs, 100% failure rate. This probably due to the baggies that the replacement packs were in. The Farpoint version looks similar. I went back to the original metal hydride desiccant plug. You may have to go through 2 bake and install cycles. I have to do this every 2-3 years. 

Joe

#8 artem2

artem2

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:11 AM

Hello, I also did same, did also go back to the original Metal Hydride desiccant plug, I did even OPEN the CAP of the original metal hydride desiccant plug, and exchange the inside Silca Gel with new SIlca Gel.

I had to do this action, since backing the Metal Hydride desiccant plug did also not in my case..

Since then, my ST10XME is working, and when the Silca Gel needs to be exchanged, then it is a matter of minutes..

Martin

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics