•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R Pro 3lb Counterweight

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tbrozovich

tbrozovich

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:09 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased the EQ6-R Pro second hand, mount only. I ordered the tripod and counterweight package and it will be arriving later this week. My current setup until I purchase a scope is a D5100 and Rokinon 135mm lens. With a ball head and Vixen dovetail, the entire setup is right around 4lbs. Since the EQ6-R Pro Counterweights are 11lbs each, it really won't be possible to balance my initial setup. I can't seem to find the bore size of the 11lbs counterweights and I am trying to get everything purchased I will need since it seems it might be clear this weekend to test everything out. 

Does anyone have a recommendation on a 3 or 4lbs counterweight to use that will be compatible with the EQ6-R Pro?

Thank you,

Tyler

#2 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: far outside the wire

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:30 PM

this works in a pinch :0

i ended up boring out some standard weights. others have made inserts to adapt the 2" olympic weight hole

good luck!

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot from 2019-11-18 11-27-13.png

#3 nobake

nobake

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Iowa

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:02 PM

The counterweight shaft will weigh something and be further from the axis than the camera.  Maybe you won't need a counterweight at all or just a trivial amount.

matt

edit - maybe you could do something with the toe saver end screw/cap.  That's probably a generic thread, you could get a long bolt and a stack of washers maybe.

Edited by nobake, 18 November 2019 - 01:04 PM.

#4 f300v10

f300v10

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:09 PM

This works for me on my EQ6-R.  The only issue is its long vs. wide, so you can't get the center of mass as high as you could with a traditional mount counterweight. But it fits the shaft of the EQ6-R just fine, and does weigh 3 lbs.  It's also cheap at $17.

https://www.bhphotov...eight_3lbs.html

#5 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

I have ran my DSLR and lens with no counterweight on my same mount, and works just fine. 

#6 tbrozovich

tbrozovich

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the info everyone! 

I did see the mic stand CW in a different thread but wasn't 100% sure if it would fit the shaft of the mount.

Wrnchhead, do you know how heavy your setup is with the lens and camera? And could this potentially stress the motors if it isn't completely balanced? Just trying to make sure I don't mess something up.

#7 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:34 PM

I don't know exactly, but I would think it would be somewhere around the weight of yours. Just when it's so light, I can't imagine that stressing something that's designed for a 44 pound load. (Granted balanced, but a 10% imbalance is surely within the design specs) 

Also, just opinions here, I'm no mount engineer! 

#8 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:06 PM

I have a couple of iOptron cws that fit my EQ6R Pro cw shaft.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics