•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2005 celestron 8 or 8i for $550?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Larock

Larock

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

I have a chance to purchase a 2005 celestron 8 or 8i package for $550.Not sure if its the 8 or 8i as i have not looked at it yet.Would the newer 8 se be a better buy for observing[more reliable]? Not into taking photos yet.thanks

#2 laixiaolue

laixiaolue

Vostok 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 18 November 2019 - 01:25 PM

$550 is too much for a Nexstar 8 or 8i. The mount is not good with too much backlash, and the controller may fail or already failed. If you buy an 8 or 8i, just pay the money for the OTA only, other parts are worthless.

Of course, if it comes with may eyepieces or other accessories, it could be a good deal. I would only pay no more than $300 for the 8/8i with no accessories.

Edited by laixiaolue, 18 November 2019 - 01:27 PM.

• deepwoods1, Gary Z, Larock and 1 other like this

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 18 November 2019 - 03:06 PM

As I recall, the original 8" did not have a vixen compatible dovetail.  This has two important ramifcations.  The first is that to use the OTA on other mounts, you would have to buy a dovetail.  The second is that other scopes with a Vixen type dovetail would not work on the Si mount.  This means that the mount has little value because the only people that could use it out of the box were people that had an Si OTA.

Optically, the later SE scopes have XLT coatings vs Starbright, but I doubt that the difference between Starbright and XLT is enough to be easily seen.

I won't speak to the question of what is a fair price.   That is best determined by searching used listings. 

• Larock likes this

#4 rocco13

rocco13

Got Milk?

• Loc: Phoenix, Arizona

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:36 PM

Thats what I paid for my 8i SE in April 2016. (I'm trying to remember the vintage but I want to say 2006?)

https://www.cloudyni...36#entry7167355

I had shopped the classifieds for a while back then, and it came with a couple of cheap plossls, the Celestron filter collection, and a few other minor goodies. I'd asked for opinions here on CN prior to purchasing it and a member stated that the drive was better than the newer ones due to the manufacturer and less plastic in the older models vs new. That sold me on it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics