•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

5 moons of Jupiter tonight

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 kray

kray

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:24 PM

As a relatively new bino observer of Jupiter, I find tonight's view of 5 moons delightful through my 25 x 100 Garretts. Who knows what the two close together on the left are?

Kray

#2 Bandoblue

Bandoblue

Mariner 2

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:40 PM

Hi Ken--

I am sorry to say that only the four "Galilean" moons Io, Europa, Ganymeade and Callisto are generally visible through amateur equipment.

Most likely your extra moon is a field star--Jupiter is very close to two tonight, one Magnitude 6 and the other Magnitude 8. Either one could be right in the same field as your moons tonight.

Sky and Telescope's Web site has a neat java calculator that will show you which moon is where at any given time:

ST Jupiter moons calculator

#3 kray

kray

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:44 PM

I was wondering about that. I checked several astronomy references and they said 4 were visible but I saw 2 bright objects @ the same mag very close to each other at @ 9 o'clock and one very close to Jupiter at 4 o'clock and 2 further out on the right. Thanks for the correction. It does look nice , however.

#4 Joad

Joad

Wordsmith

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:22 PM

It IS quite a sight, isn't it? Looks just like 5 moons all lined up. But alas, Bandoblue is right (thanks for putting it so gently, Bandoblue :waytogo:).

#5 Bandoblue

Bandoblue

Mariner 2

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

Here's a little chart I just jinned up to show Jupiter as of 8PM tonight... you can see how close the two nameless field stars were...

Posted Image

#6 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:09 PM

Another site for the Gallilean moons, in real time, only:

http://www2.jpl.nasa...leo/Jovian.html

Clear skies,
Arthur

#7 SaberScorpX

SaberScorpX

Skylab

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:39 AM

Hi Kray-

Also see Carol's post on Jupiter's current retrograde dance around the SAO fieldstars. [ link ]
Jove resumes direct (eastern) motion on 7 July.

Enjoy the show,

Stephen Saber
PAC/Astronomical League
http://www.geocities...corpx/home.html

#8 Steve Napier

Steve Napier

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:01 AM

It could have been worse,Jupiter could have been in the Pleieades,56 moons.
Steve.

#9 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:16 PM

I also saw Jupiter's mythical "fifth moon" one lonely night out under the stars. Imagine how excited I was to see an extra moon that is not usually visible. I even concocted a plausible explanation for this unheard-of feat : a rare alignment of cosmic bodies had rendered the hidden moon visible for a short time.

Alas, it was with great disappointment that I learned the fifth moon was actually a field star. Jupiter's fifth-brightest moon is not visible in any low-power binocular, even the gigantic 25x100mm variety. It was a nice illusion while it lasted though...

Don't even ask me about the time I saw a Kuiper Belt object in my 25x100 binoculars.........

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#10 kray

kray

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:00 PM

Great link for Jupiter. Thanks. I bookmarked it.

There is alot to learn in this "hobby" I'm sure I'll appear to be "addlebrained" again in the future. Thanks for letting me down gently.

I do enjoy ALL the opinions and information. It's good to see "grown" men and women so enthusiastic about an academic(of sorts) hobby, rather than just sitting and staring at mostly BAD television.

Ken

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics