•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is the EQ6-R Pro The Way To Go?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Starslinger

Starslinger

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Vancouver Island, BC

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:05 AM

I realize that it's probably been discussed a million times but... bear with me. 

When I was doing this some years ago I had a Orion Skyview with the 100... bought the motors but never really used 'em. So, now, over a decade later, I have a renewed interest. I no longer have the mount. I just have some very sturdy photographic tripods, a Star Adventurer Pro (newly acquired) and a Stellarvue M1 Alt-Az mount. My scopes are an 80mm apo and a 120mm achro. I'm probably only ever going to be using refractors, maybe just these, maybe a bigger apo one day. I was hoping to make do with the Star Adventurer Pro for a little while (because I love it's portability and it's surprisingly capable) but realistically I need a sturdier mount. 

So that leads me to my question, in it's price category, with it's payload capacity and functionality, is the EQ6-R Pro the way to go? Or are there mounts I've not heard of (there are definitely companies out there that were just not around when I was last doing this). 

Thanks

#2 scadvice

scadvice

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:36 AM

I think so. I don't own one but suggest it to friends with that budget and equipment size.

If you have not already seen this one, here is a review by Trevor in Astrobackyard.

https://astrobackyar...er-eq6r-review/

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:38 AM

I realize that it's probably been discussed a million times but... bear with me. 

When I was doing this some years ago I had a Orion Skyview with the 100... bought the motors but never really used 'em. So, now, over a decade later, I have a renewed interest. I no longer have the mount. I just have some very sturdy photographic tripods, a Star Adventurer Pro (newly acquired) and a Stellarvue M1 Alt-Az mount. My scopes are an 80mm apo and a 120mm achro. I'm probably only ever going to be using refractors, maybe just these, maybe a bigger apo one day. I was hoping to make do with the Star Adventurer Pro for a little while (because I love it's portability and it's surprisingly capable) but realistically I need a sturdier mount. 

So that leads me to my question, in it's price category, with it's payload capacity and functionality, is the EQ6-R Pro the way to go? Or are there mounts I've not heard of (there are definitely companies out there that were just not around when I was last doing this). 

Thanks

The EQ6-R is a relative bargain among mounts, although it's a bit heavy.  The iOptron CEM40 has similar performance and significantly lighter weight.  It's also more expensive.

#4 Starslinger

Starslinger

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:36 AM

Yeah, that iOptron mount is 900 bucks more than the Sky-Watcher, at the minute... 1800 CAD versus 2700 CAD. I would suggest they are different price points ;-)

#5 Starslinger

Starslinger

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:48 AM

(Not our of the question though)

#6 Starslinger

Starslinger

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:51 AM

The iPolar thing looked interesting until I read that it was PC only...

#7 Francopoli

Francopoli

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio Valley, USA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:01 AM

I have the EQ6-r Pro.  It is heavy as has been mentioned.  It is also really good.  I have the version with the USB on the mount head and use EQMOD to run the mount.  I don't use the hand controller.  I also use NINA to run my imaging.  So far, it is lovely.  I eventually want a C11 on this setup and it should handle it well.

The EQ6-r is also currently on sale.

• Starslinger likes this

#8 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:54 AM

The iPolar thing looked interesting until I read that it was PC only...

Take a look at QHY's PoleMaster. QHY came out with it several years before iOptron copied the idea.

https://www.qhyccd.c...catid=136&id=32

PoleMaster has software for Windows, MAC, Linux and Android.

https://www.qhyccd.c...136&id=32&cut=2

Yes, the EQ6-R is a decent mount and a good value. 

Celestron CGEM-II and iOptron CEM40 would be comparable in capacity, but both are more expensive.

Edited by Pauls72, 19 November 2019 - 09:59 AM.

• Francopoli likes this

#9 ac4lt

ac4lt

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:43 AM

I have the eq6r-pro and am very happy with it. As mentioned, it’s heavy but the built-in handle mitigates that somewhat. It’s not perfect but it’s a great bang for the buck mount. 

Here are the things I’m not crazy about:

The USB port is on a part of the mount that moves, fortunately only in RA. It would be better if any connections to the mount were on parts that didn’t move. In practice this hasn’t caused any problems, but it bugs me.

I’m not crazy about the way it attaches to the tripod with the bolt up the center bottom of the mount. You can’t set the mount upright on a flat surface because of that. Again not normally an issue but it makes things more awkward.

The stock saddle is not great. I replaced it with an ADM saddle and am much happier with it. The stock saddle is probably the worst thing about the mount.

Other than that, it’s been a great imaging mount for me.  I’ve been extremely happy with it.

• LesB, Starslinger, elmiko and 2 others like this

#10 Bataleon

Bataleon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:19 AM

I just got an EQ6-R Pro myself and though I had some initial frustrations (later turned out to just be my own learning curve), it has turned out to be a wonderful mount. Mechanically, it's similar to the CGEM. As far as I know, the main difference is belt drive vs gear drive in the Celestron. I was discussing the GEM question with my local telescope shop and those guys have 40+ years experience under their belts and they were all recommending the Skywatcher over the Celestron. Not only is it a bit cheaper, but they told me the belt drive system is more robust and less likely to need repair than a gear drive system. I can't speak to that effect since I've only had the thing a couple months, but if it's a little extra peace of mind over the long term, I think it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
  • Starslinger likes this

#11 Starslinger

Starslinger

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:46 PM

Take a look at QHY's PoleMaster. QHY came out with it several years before iOptron copied the idea.

https://www.qhyccd.c...catid=136&id=32

PoleMaster has software for Windows, MAC, Linux and Android.

https://www.qhyccd.c...136&id=32&cut=2

Yes, the EQ6-R is a decent mount and a good value. 

Celestron CGEM-II and iOptron CEM40 would be comparable in capacity, but both are more expensive.

Yep, I know about the PoleMaster... when I was looking at the CEM40 online, on my phone, last night, on the Canadian vendors' pages it didn't show the iPolar as being optional. But looking at the iOptron site this morning I can see that there are many configurations. 

• bobzeq25 likes this

#12 scadvice

scadvice

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:18 PM

I have the PoleMaster and really like it. I've heard (hearsay) the iOptron (PM copy?) is as good but they are only 20 bucks difference.

Again you tube has a few reviews and usage on Polemasters. I have not seen them on the iPolar but I sure there got to some out there.

https://www.youtube....h?v=DJvfYAAxXsA

#13 MrRoberts

MrRoberts

Messenger

• Loc: Barrington, Illinois

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:42 PM

I am an Ioptron user for a few years. Yes I will continue to use them. I have an acquaintance who uses the EQ6-R and it is a very good unit. With the exception of the CEM60EC I believe the Ioptron's are uniquely better. But if I had no other option I would not hesitate to own the SW -6r, it is that good.

#14 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

...is the EQ6-R Pro the way to go?

Yes.

• Starslinger and elmiko like this

#15 steste1122

steste1122

Explorer 1

• ***--

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:15 PM

With the current EQ-6r sale price you can get the Polemaster for about $20 more than the non sale price (I found it to be a great addition to my AVX mount, makes polar aligning quick and easy).  On the other side the CEM40 is several hundred more for the base model with the 1.5" tripod.  I have not used it, but from reading on here the consensus is that the 1.5" is not very good.  Seems like EQ6r is the way to go.

• Starslinger likes this

#16 Starslinger

Starslinger

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:51 PM

Gotta admit, the 15.8lbs of the CEM40 over the 38.1lbs of the EQ6 is... appealing (as I wrestle with two recovering frozen shoulders and the onslaught of my 50's). 

Seeing these centre-balanced equatorial mounts for the first time they seem, how shall we say, more elegantly balanced than traditional. Has it been tried before? Or is it a whole new thang?

#17 Brule

Brule

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Saint Louis, MO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:54 PM

Gotta admit, the 15.8lbs of the CEM40 over the 38.1lbs of the EQ6 is... appealing (as I wrestle with two recovering frozen shoulders and the onslaught of my 50's). 

Seeing these centre-balanced equatorial mounts for the first time they seem, how shall we say, more elegantly balanced than traditional. Has it been tried before? Or is it a whole new thang?

Well, they also have the GEM45 if you want the more traditional design, and it supposedly handles 45 lbs payload at that same weight of the CEM40 (15.8 lbs), and costs the same as well. It's made out of the same parts as the CEM40, and pretty new.

I don't own either, but from what I've seen most people are pretty happy with the CEM design. You can search the forums for CEM40, CEM60, and CEM120 for more reviews.

#18 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:09 PM

The basic design is quite old.  The balancing is no more "elegant" than a GEM, just the opposite.  But then, this is a thread about the EQ6-R.  Search for "iOptron" if you want to know the full story on them since this thread will not pull much up by itself.

#19 blamkin86

blamkin86

Explorer 1

• Loc: Colorado/Utah

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:13 AM

I was all-in on buying one, but the reality is I'm not doing AP at all, so I didn't want to take a chance that the weight of the EQ6R-pro would make me not want to set up.

I thought long and hard about the CEM40, but with the case and a tripod it was $2188 and I don't need the iPolar at all.

I wound up buying an AZ Mount Pro, with the tripier and case - which I think fits my uses a whole lot better.

I also decided that if I get into AP, I'll have the tripier and just need a head. I'm watching for sales on the CEM40 or CEM60 but for now I'm set.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#20 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:20 PM

Balance may or may not be significantly better.  Mounting the RA axis between 2 bearings is.

• OldManSky likes this

#21 kel123

kel123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:22 PM

But if I had no other option I would not hesitate to own the SW -6r, it is that good.

Actually this statement means the opposite of "it is that good"

• Hugh Peck likes this

#22 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:50 PM

I love my EQ6R Pro, but only for imaging. If I were only interested in visual, I would go back to Celestron. Nexstar is way better if one uses a hand controller. It’s more accurate for gotos and far more intuitive to use than SynScan. For imaging, I do not use a hand controller, so do not need the advantages Nexstar provides.

SynScan is like DOS and Nexstar is like IOS, IMO! LOL!

#23 Starslinger

Starslinger

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 08:29 PM

I love my EQ6R Pro, but only for imaging. If I were only interested in visual, I would go back to Celestron. Nexstar is way better if one uses a hand controller. It’s more accurate for gotos and far more intuitive to use than SynScan. For imaging, I do not use a hand controller, so do not need the advantages Nexstar provides.

Any opinions on the GoTo on the iOptron? Is a badged version of something else? Or it's own thing?

#24 kel123

kel123

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2019 - 09:28 PM

Starsense for Skywatcher ensures you enjoy the benefit of Nexstar's Goto on EQ6-R Pro and other compatible SynScan mounts. It an interesting accessory.  

#25 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:39 AM

Any opinions on the GoTo on the iOptron? Is a badged version of something else? Or it's own thing?

I think pretty much every manufacturer programs their own GOTO model.  I've never seen anything advertised or specified.  Some scopes get better recommendations for GOTO accuracy. 

But.  Any semi-serious imager uses platefinding, which is way more precise than any GOTO.    I used to worry about setting up my CEM60s GOTO, by syncing to reference stars.  No more.  GOTO is just a way to get me roughly in the neighborhood.

And, like much of AP, operator skill counts for a lot in how accurate GOTOs will be.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics