•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for constructive criticism - NGC 281 - The Pacman in BiColor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brettkoz

brettkoz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hesperia, Michigan

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:20 PM

Hello all, today I'm asking for some helpful criticism on my most recent project, NGC 281. I used the L-Enhance filter for this object (with the 071MC Pro through a Meade 6000 115), and it's about 16.5 hrs of moonlit data. I'm super happy with the star shape and the amount of detail, but not happy with the presentation or the contrast between the red and  blue (boy it's tough pulling out oiii data from a dual narrowband filter on an object that doesn't have super strong oiii signal). I realize that it's a bit noisy, I didn't do my normal second round of noise reduction because I do plan on adding broadband star color when I get a moonless clear night. 

My processing on this so far included stacking in APP, using the extract ha and extract oiii algorithms, along with an ha-oiii mono integration for luminance. I lightly processed the ha and oiii to attempt to boost the blue and dim the red, but after LRGB combine in Pix it was clear the goal of bringing out the blues was going to be tough. After LRGB combination I ran a bit of noise reduction, HDRMultiscaleTransform, curves, histogram transformation, local histogram equalization and a slight bit of saturation. After that it went to PS for final curves and crop.

My goals here are to bring out the blues (as I said) and enhance the faint detail in the nebula, but basically I'm just trying to get better and make my images stand out more against the stiff competition on Astrobin.

I'm very interested in hearing what you guys would have done, or would advise I look into, in terms of processing steps or pixinsight tools. 

Full Resolution: https://www.astrobin.com/y053qn/0/

afterPSCropped-500.jpg

• H-Alfa, elmiko, AhBok and 5 others like this

#2 H-Alfa

H-Alfa

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:00 PM

Hi,
I think that you image is pretty good!
As you are looking for comments, in general, I see the image a little bit flat. I would suggest you to use LHE to increase the 3D effect, or to play with curves to increase contrast, I really don't know what would give you a better result. A little more saturation maybe could give a more vibrant result also. In any case, take my comments as a personal preference. As said, your image is good.

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk
  • elmiko and brettkoz like this

#3 bjulihn

bjulihn

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Langley, BC. Canada

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:42 PM

Hi Brett;

So your data looks really good to me. There is lots of detail. When I look at the full scale image on astrobin, my subjective response is that it feels soft. The structure in the nebula along the left side doesn't stand out much. Perhaps that is what "H-Alfa" meant by a "little bit flat". It is definitely a matter of preference but I would agree that applying a little more LHE would be worth playing with. You are doing great. I'm jealous of your 16.5 hours of data!

• H-Alfa and brettkoz like this

#4 AhBok

AhBok

Vanguard

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

This is the same camera and filter I use. I think your image is about as good as you will get with it. To get the striking blue colors, you would need a mono camera and an OIII filter that has a narrower band pass. That said, my belief is the L-eNhance filter makes splendid images if used to their full potential and without performing color gymnastics that are beyond the purpose of the filter. Your image, IMO, makes full use of your camera/filter combination!
  • brettkoz likes this

#5 Salacious B Crumb

Salacious B Crumb

Viking 1

• Loc: Greater Atlanta Area, GA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:49 PM

Looks good Brett. You could try to use a blue ColorMask in PI if you want to separately boost the blue color.

- Mikko

• brettkoz likes this

#6 brettkoz

brettkoz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:15 PM

Hi Brett;

So your data looks really good to me. There is lots of detail. When I look at the full scale image on astrobin, my subjective response is that it feels soft. The structure in the nebula along the left side doesn't stand out much. Perhaps that is what "H-Alfa" meant by a "little bit flat". It is definitely a matter of preference but I would agree that applying a little more LHE would be worth playing with. You are doing great. I'm jealous of your 16.5 hours of data!

Thanks, the long nights now make gathering tons of data easy. I hope to add another night's worth soon.

• AhBok likes this

#7 brettkoz

brettkoz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:18 PM

Looks good Brett. You could try to use a blue ColorMask in PI if you want to separately boost the blue color.

- Mikko

I'll look into that for the final version, thankya.

• Salacious B Crumb likes this

#8 astronate

astronate

Explorer 1

Posted 21 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

You could take the OIII, blur it, and make a mask out of it. Then use that mask on the HOO and reduce the red using curves transformation.

That will make the OIII stand out more from the Ha.

-Nathan
  • brettkoz likes this

#9 Astro_Sholo

Astro_Sholo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:11 PM

Great image Brett, a lot of data there.

I would recommend a technique of removing the stars and color mapping so you're able to really stretch the blue data and bring it out.  Larger stars become bloated if you try to stretch too much but if you remove the stars you have the freedom to stretch until you've hit a noise wall.  

Hope this helps!

• brettkoz likes this

#10 brettkoz

brettkoz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:56 PM

You could take the OIII, blur it, and make a mask out of it. Then use that mask on the HOO and reduce the red using curves transformation.

That will make the OIII stand out more from the Ha.

-Nathan

Great image Brett, a lot of data there.

I would recommend a technique of removing the stars and color mapping so you're able to really stretch the blue data and bring it out.  Larger stars become bloated if you try to stretch too much but if you remove the stars you have the freedom to stretch until you've hit a noise wall.  

Hope this helps!

Thanks guys, I will certainly consider those options.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics