Hello all, today I'm asking for some helpful criticism on my most recent project, NGC 281. I used the L-Enhance filter for this object (with the 071MC Pro through a Meade 6000 115), and it's about 16.5 hrs of moonlit data. I'm super happy with the star shape and the amount of detail, but not happy with the presentation or the contrast between the red and blue (boy it's tough pulling out oiii data from a dual narrowband filter on an object that doesn't have super strong oiii signal). I realize that it's a bit noisy, I didn't do my normal second round of noise reduction because I do plan on adding broadband star color when I get a moonless clear night.
My processing on this so far included stacking in APP, using the extract ha and extract oiii algorithms, along with an ha-oiii mono integration for luminance. I lightly processed the ha and oiii to attempt to boost the blue and dim the red, but after LRGB combine in Pix it was clear the goal of bringing out the blues was going to be tough. After LRGB combination I ran a bit of noise reduction, HDRMultiscaleTransform, curves, histogram transformation, local histogram equalization and a slight bit of saturation. After that it went to PS for final curves and crop.
My goals here are to bring out the blues (as I said) and enhance the faint detail in the nebula, but basically I'm just trying to get better and make my images stand out more against the stiff competition on Astrobin.
I'm very interested in hearing what you guys would have done, or would advise I look into, in terms of processing steps or pixinsight tools.
Full Resolution: https://www.astrobin.com/y053qn/0/