•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question About Nylon Caged Needle Rollers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

I'm working on converting my 20" Push-To Dob to the OnStep Go-To system.  I need to reduce the torque to move the Altitude bearing.  The existing 4 teflon pads require too much torque for the NEAM 17 stepper motor to handle based on my measurements made with a digital scale.  I am looking into using  two of these liner glide bearings made out of nylon.  The bearings are the right width and with 1/16" shims on the sides, the correct height to match the remaining teflon pads heights.  They would need to be cut to the proper length (come 75mm long).  Do you think the nylon has the strength not to deform under the weight of the fully assembled Dob?

Edited by Edward E, 19 November 2019 - 06:22 PM.

#2 nstiesi

nstiesi

Mariner 2

Posted 19 November 2019 - 12:41 PM

Are you planning to have some sort of clutch system to disengage the motor and still be able to push-to?  If so, I would think you need more torque out of the motor, not less friction on the altitude.  Are you using a reducing gearhead on the stepper motor?

I am actually struggling with some similar issues at the moment.

#3 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:03 PM

Yes the NEAM 17 stepper motor has a precision planetary gear system with a 50:1 ratio; plenty of torque to do the job once I get the Alt bearing friction down.  Yes there will be a clutch/brake installed.

#4 nstiesi

nstiesi

Mariner 2

Posted 19 November 2019 - 03:56 PM

Got it.  I was trying to use no gearhead, but all readuction via pulley and belt to minimize backlash.  Do you experience much blacklash with the planetary gears on your stepper?

As for friction, some people here swear by a little bit of dry bar soap to lubricate the teflon pads, but I've seen that debate get a little contentious.  Can you reduce the size (area) off your teflon pads?

The link you provided for your needle rollers links to this thread so I cant comment on them.  Good luck!

#5 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:26 PM

There is no backlash with this geared down stepper.  Thanks for letting me know that the link was not set correctly.  I have fixed that issue.

Let me know how your OnStep conversion goes.

#6 m. allan noah

m. allan noah

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:07 PM

Only the cage on those bearings is plastic, the needles will be hardened steel. Unless you have a steel surface for this to roll on, it will indent the surface and move poorly. I cannot tell from the picture if the needles protrude from the bottom of the cage as well. If they do, they cannot be fixed in place, but need to slide in the joint.

allan

#7 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Vanguard

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:19 PM

Try the bar soap before you go to all that trouble with the bearings. You might be surprised

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 gregj888

gregj888

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:25 AM

On my little 8" SCT I milled out the Dec and replaced the plastic sleeves with real needle bearings. 

Your motor and clutch would provide the friction for the push to, you'll probably want to replace the Alt bearings with ball or needle bearings. 

If you go to the Observatory forum, you'll find 3-4m domes being turned by steppers, so you could do that with some of the larger ones (Nema 34 (?)), but your power requirements goes up a lot too.

I'ld look at come AC ball bearings at least for discussion.

#9 jpcannavo

jpcannavo

Apollo

• Loc: Ex NYCer, Now in Denver CO!

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:49 AM

Have you checked the angular separation of the Teflon altitude bearings? Decreasing the angle will decrease the needed torque. Of course when they are too close to each other stability suffers. Worth checking though, as if they are further apart than needed an easy fix might be at hand.

Joe

#10 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:58 AM

Thank you for the suggestions.  I tried the soap technique; it did reduce the torque need to start moving the alt bearing but not enough to get in the specs of the stepper motor.  Moving the alt pads closer also helped but not enough and the motion started to suffer. 

I will go with needle bearings and see how that works out.  At $5 and free shipping, not much to loose to try.  I will keep you posted on how things turn out.

Cheers

• gregj888 likes this

#11 Pinbout

Pinbout

ISS

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

id Use sleeve bearings over a shoulder bolt

#12 Edward E

Edward E

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:49 PM

I thought of that but found that there is not enough room between the outside edge of the mirror box and the inside edge of the alt support structure for a bolt and mounting.  The alt bearing structure must fit on the upper surface where the alt pads currently reside.  This is the reason I am looking at the needle bearings.  The needle bearings I have ordered fit the width of the alt support structure and the bearings are slightly wider than the alt bearings.  Plus with 1/16" shims, the top of these needle bearings will match the height of the remaining Teflon pad.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics