•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help with my starshoot AutoGuider and pulse guiding

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Slslinde

Slslinde

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:22 PM

I have a SKYWATCHER EQ6R Mount with an Orion 50mm Starshoot AutoGuider, I currently connect sta4 to Mount and usb b from auto guider to usb powered hub.

i use phd2 and get a white look during day and white noise at night, I did have the darks tab on, would this be the problem

also I want to pulse guide. But am clueless. Since I’m using a Surface Go with a Startech powered usb hub.

• rich.g2 likes this

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 19 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

This may help https://www.youtube....h?v=Mt0luBLaHDw

In short, you dont' use the ST4. Just the USB. Also, you are *probably* way out of focus, which will cause that white effect. Could also be exposure times (try .5-1.5 at night)

But honestly I can tell you are new to guiding, and you should probably read some and watch that video (or others) and get a grasp on the basics. 

You'll get it in the end! 

• scadvice likes this

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:48 PM

Most likely you don't have it focused. Get it just a bit out of focus, and you see nothing. If you play with the gain, you get white noise.

#4 scadvice

scadvice

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 19 November 2019 - 02:48 PM

+ 1 on wrnchhead's post.

#5 Slslinde

Slslinde

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 04:21 PM

Anyone show me a video on the Orion starshoot auto guider. Focusing routines. I’ve looked everywhere 

#6 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:16 PM

Both the Full sized and mini auto-guider don't have focus functions.  they are static and need a telescope or guide scope to focus and usually it is either the focus knob on the guide scope or if using the smaller 50mm finder scope guiders, the front of the tube (dew shield) screws back and forth to focus. 

However your issue if it is going all white is not the focus, it is the gain or duration of the image.  For night no more than 1 second images is usually enough to get stars but if the Image is going all white and you cant find gain controls, then reduce the image time to less than 1 second.  I use a program called MaximDL which has its own gain control panel and I usually set this to about 70% then do no more than  1 second image.  If the sky is particularly bright I reduce that down further.  You are probably running into that here.  See if you can find the camera gain setting on PHD and set it to less than it is now.  If that doesn't work, take a really short image and see what you get, then bump the timing up till you see stars.

#7 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 19 November 2019 - 05:48 PM

Not arguing, but just another data point, if my normally already set up rig is far out of focus, I do get a white screen on PHD. Focusing it then brings it back. Just don't want to deter the fact that it could just be focus (in addition to exposure or gain!) 

#8 Slslinde

Slslinde

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:11 PM

I use APT AND  PHD2. 

#9 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:17 PM

Try to focus the scope during the daytime on a distant object. 

Use Sharpcap (it's free!) and try exposures around 20ms (that's *milli* seconds) in the daytime. You should be able to see images (a distant mountain or tree will initially appear as a vague shadow, but as you move the camera in or out you'll find the focus point). 

If you don't (or can't) do it during the day, wait for the moon and focus on that. 

For pulse guiding, you need to connect the *mount* via USB to your laptop, and the guide camera, again via USB, to the laptop. You do NOT use the ST-4 cable at all. In PhD2, you select Star Shoot Auto Guider as the camera, and the mount as in this illustration.

However, unless you are in focus or very close to focus (so you can focus perfectly at night) nothing good will happen. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics