•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ioptron AZMP hand controller battery

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AstroRick46

AstroRick46

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:26 PM

On many of the postings about this mount, people have noted that initial alignment issues can be a result of a low battery in the hand controller. As I was having some alignment issues, I thought I would try this simple fix first. The handbook and the forum posts all indicated that the replacement was a 3V CR 1220, which was hard to find, but I managed to find one. Imagine my surprise when I took off the back of the controller and found the battery was a much larger 2032. OK, I happen to have one of those, but I’m not sure how to remove the old battery. if you look very carefully at the photo you will see two tiny prongs on the  + side of the battery to hold it in place. On the opposite side the plastic base has tiny ridges which also grasp the battery. Trying to gently lift the battery out on the plastic end and slide it out merely caused the entire innards of the controller to begin to lift from the shell. Before I totally destroy this thing, has anyone else tried to change the new 2032 size battery, and if so how did you do it?0BF92186-FD7E-4628-BCA4-D3C193A6A3F4.jpeg

#2 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:37 PM

On many of the postings about this mount, people have noted that initial alignment issues can be a result of a low battery in the hand controller. As I was having some alignment issues, I thought I would try this simple fix first. The handbook and the forum posts all indicated that the replacement was a 3V CR 1220, which was hard to find, but I managed to find one. Imagine my surprise when I took off the back of the controller and found the battery was a much larger 2032. OK, I happen to have one of those, but I’m not sure how to remove the old battery. if you look very carefully at the photo you will see two tiny prongs on the  + side of the battery to hold it in place. On the opposite side the plastic base has tiny ridges which also grasp the battery. Trying to gently lift the battery out on the plastic end and slide it out merely caused the entire innards of the controller to begin to lift from the shell. Before I totally destroy this thing, has anyone else tried to change the new 2032 size battery, and if so how did you do it?attachicon.gif 0BF92186-FD7E-4628-BCA4-D3C193A6A3F4.jpeg

Hi,

To remove those types of batteries I use a wooden toothpick and just slide it under The battery and between the holder at the side where the clips are . Try that and see how you get on.. it should just pop out.

cheers

Graham

#3 AstroRick46

AstroRick46

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:10 PM

Thanks, Graham

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I insert the toothpick under the battery under the + sign side of the battery. Have I got that right. Thanks

Rick

#4 biz

biz

Vendor

• ****-
  • Vendors
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

Thanks, Graham

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I insert the toothpick under the battery under the + sign side of the battery. Have I got that right. Thanks

Rick

Rick,

As long as it goes between the underside of the battery and the holder it should flick up . Probably best to try and insert it by the clips . I just push it in gently and it flicks free.

cheers

Graham

#5 AstroRick46

AstroRick46

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

Update: Ioptron got back to me. Yes, they changed the battery size which is now a CR2032, which in my neighborhood is much easier to find than the CR1220. However, unlike most devices which use this battery, taking it out is a little more difficult task. You can’t just pop it out because it is firmly gripped at both ends. Per Ioptron you must grasp the battery in the middle and push it toward the two little clips, which are spring loaded. That releases the other end which pops out because the underside contacts are also spring loaded. But be advised the clip springs are pretty strong on my handset and I was afraid I was going to break something. The good news is installing the new battery is a snap. Now I may be the only person on the planet who has never experienced this kind of setup, but just in case I’m not, I thought other owners of this mount and handset might like to know.k

Rick

• Xeroid likes this

#6 Brule

Brule

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Saint Louis, MO

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:51 AM

Thanks for the update on this Rick. I've had some issues with alignment on my AZMP (also tracking issues). I'm still waiting on iOptron to get back to me, but have considered trying this to see if it helps with alignment. Before I order a new battery, have you noticed if this ended up solving your initial problem?

#7 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the heads-up Rick. Changed my mind now about ordering 20 or so of the CR2012's off Amazon!. I still have a bunch of 2032's. Don't want to pop the cover yet when I don't have to. I suppose all the screws are housed in plastic bosses rather than machined brass. Easy to strip when putting back in to secure the cover.(?)  Incidentally, what is the actual model number of your hand controller. I just got my CEM40 last May...perhaps mine is different..it is a Go2Nova 8407 hand controller.

Edited by RandallK, 21 November 2019 - 12:09 PM.

#8 AstroRick46

AstroRick46

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 04:19 PM

I got my AZMP in October, so the battery change must have come before that. My controller is the Go2Nova 8407+. There was a sticker on the back of the controller that said 8407+. I found no reference in the manual nor on Ioptron’s website to indicate what the “plus” was for. Perhaps that was for the change in battery size. I haven’t had a chance to give it a test spin but I will let everyone know what happens. And yes, everything but the screws are made of plastic or nylon. I tried to be very careful when reinserting the screws and I think (hope?) I got it right. I don’t know if the Go2Nova 8407’s are all the same, but it seems logical that they might be. Regardless, if you’re thinking of replacing the battery ( especially if you controller is a “+”) I would see what’s inside before I bought a bunch of replacements. Good luck

Rick

• Seaquel47 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics