•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I thought I would need a whole new focuser to go auto, but a stepper add on?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:31 PM

One of the reasons I have not gone auto focus is I thought I would need to throw away the current focusers and buy entirely new ones, like from moonlight or feathertouch. But this is not the case, is it?   Does a Rigel stepper add on pretty much any conventional type of focuser? For example on my ES 127 ED Hex focuser; or for an 85mm Orion Eon?

Any other options? 

Thank you!

Edited by Ballyhoo, 19 November 2019 - 06:31 PM.

• Swordfishy likes this

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:49 PM

Yes, Rigels do, and if not, Leon will make a custom adapter...for pretty much anything. They’re also very accurate, have good software, and are well-priced. There are others, but I always come back to Rigel (unless I have a specialty scope that needs an Atlas, or Gemini). Rigel also makes a reasonably priced rotator as well, and their controllers will run double focus motors. And WiFi is an option. No muss, no fuss.

Paul

• Ballyhoo and bobzeq25 like this

#3 elmiko

elmiko

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:52 PM

Pegasus cube focuser

• Ballyhoo likes this

#4 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:53 PM

One of the reasons I have not gone auto focus is I thought I would need to throw away the current focusers and buy entirely new ones, like from moonlight or feathertouch. But this is not the case, is it?   Does a Rigel stepper add on pretty much any conventional type of focuser? For example on my ES 127 ED Hex focuser; or for an 85mm Orion Eon?

Any other options? 

Thank you!

ZWO EAF just bolts on 

• Ballyhoo likes this

#5 janame

janame

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:54 PM

There's also the Sesto Senso and ZWO EAF

#6 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

Pegasus cube focuser

I’m using the Pegasus Ultimate Powerbox V2 with my Rigels right now. One less thing to mount on the rig. grin.gif

Paul

• elmiko likes this

#7 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:01 PM

No matter what focuser you have, Rigel will make one for you. The Sesto Senso, EAF, and Pegasus cube support certain focusers, and if yours is one, then you have those additional ones. 

Don't balk at this relatively minor expense, there's *nothing* more important (other than accurate tracking) in astrophotography. Unless you want to stop and refocus every 20-30 minutes the entire night, moving to another star and moving back to target, autofocus is a must. 

Each Rigel has three main parts: The bracket that attaches to your scope, the motor, and the controller. The bracket is scope (actually focuser) specific. The motor is mainly interchangeable and can save some bucks, but it's much more convenient to have separate motors. The contoller you can just use with any scope, totally interchangeable.

• psandelle, Ballyhoo, zakry3323 and 2 others like this

#8 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:05 PM

What Stelios said.

Paul

• BurningChrome99 likes this

#9 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:22 PM

No matter what focuser you have, Rigel will make one for you. The Sesto Senso, EAF, and Pegasus cube support certain focusers, and if yours is one, then you have those additional ones. 

Don't balk at this relatively minor expense, there's *nothing* more important (other than accurate tracking) in astrophotography. Unless you want to stop and refocus every 20-30 minutes the entire night, moving to another star and moving back to target, autofocus is a must. 

Each Rigel has three main parts: The bracket that attaches to your scope, the motor, and the controller. The bracket is scope (actually focuser) specific. The motor is mainly interchangeable and can save some bucks, but it's much more convenient to have separate motors. The contoller you can just use with any scope, totally interchangeable.

so what is the total budget soup to nuts and why no one told me this before?confused1.gif

#10 scadvice

scadvice

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:37 PM

I agree with the points made above. I had a Pegasus which worked fine. When I bought a new scope I checked out all the other auto focusers at NEAF 2019 and bought the US made Optec system. The others were Ok just slewed slow ( understandable cost cutter) and had no way to really disengage and use by hand. The Optec has slewing that accelerates and two standard speed settings in case of a extra heavy load. My focuser is a FT 3 inch and with F/R and Camera and at over 3 lbs still has no problem slewing at the highest speed setting.

Also, a complete disengagement method that works in seconds. You do pay more for the Optec (about $700) complete but I felt it was worth it and still do.  Solid and not plastic cases or housing... all machined aluminum. Jeff the owner is incredible with support and very responsive. I was having trouble with getting the optional Wifi hooked up to my laptop at the same time as my mounts Wifi  and he helped me via Team Viewer...Done...no back and forth hassle.

https://www.optecinc.com/default.htm

Of coarse your budget needs be able to handle that but it is the best IMHO.

Edited by scadvice, 19 November 2019 - 07:50 PM.

#11 rkinnett

rkinnett

Mariner 2

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:32 PM

Budget for a DIY job is ~$20, assuming your time is free, and if done correctly can be as good as any of the third-party bolt-on ones.

I don't you were inquiring about this approach specifically, I just wanted to note the cost for comparison.  Details available if needed.

• mikefulb and moonrider like this

#12 moonrider

moonrider

Mariner 2

• Loc: Murphy, NC

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

Budget for a DIY job is ~$20, assuming your time is free, and if done correctly can be as good as any of the third-party bolt-on ones.

I don't you were inquiring about this approach specifically, I just wanted to note the cost for comparison.  Details available if needed.

Wow! I'm interested. I have been trying to design and build a stepper motor for my ES 80 refractor. The stepper motor I got is not powerful enough to turn the fine focus with a belt. What are you referring to?

#13 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:02 PM

And don't forget RoboFocus.

Alex

• psandelle and *skyguy* like this

#14 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:03 PM

so what is the total budget soup to nuts and why no one told me this before?confused1.gif

Go to the Rigel page:

1. You want the STEPPER motors for imaging. The others are for visual. DO NOT GET ONE OF THOSE!

2. Look to find your focuser and the options (or Leon will make a bracket special).

3. CHECK WITH LEON to make sure you’re getting the right things.

Thats it, easy-peas.

Paul

• bobzeq25 likes this

#15 BurningChrome99

BurningChrome99

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Ridgecrest, CA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:04 PM

What Stelios said.

Also, don’t trust your eyes, mask or not. The maths will undoubtedly serve you better and let you keep your hands away from the scope. 

• Swordfishy likes this

#16 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:28 PM

Go to the Rigel page:

1. You want the STEPPER motors for imaging. The others are for visual. DO NOT GET ONE OF THOSE!

2. Look to find your focuser and the options (or Leon will make a bracket special).

3. CHECK WITH LEON to make sure you’re getting the right things.

Thats it, easy-peas.

Paul

okay but there are more parts than just the stepper?  A controller?  Also,  these are all good to connect w SGP I presume?  I think that would go w-out saying.

#17 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:34 PM

Yes. Go to the page. There’re basic packages for computer control with motor, bracket, controller. Then you can add WiFi if you want, or buttons for manual (though Rigels let you disengage if you want to use the focuser). GO TO THE SITE! ANY QUESTIONS, ASK LEON. it’s that easy. He’s the final authority and backs everything up.

Paul

• Ballyhoo and ChrisWhite like this

#18 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:36 PM

okay but there are more parts than just the stepper?  A controller?  Also,  these are all good to connect w SGP I presume?  I think that would go w-out saying.

Look at the page, explains everything.  You do need the nStep USB controller, which provides the ASCOM interface.  SGP works, as does Voyager (my choice) and NINA.  FocusMax also, but it's expensive.

For most scopes the hardware is $351.80.

http://rigel.datacor...eppermotor.html

• psandelle likes this

#19 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• Vendors

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:18 PM

my ears are burning, is somebody talking about me?  lol.gif

• psandelle, ChrisWhite, zakry3323 and 1 other like this

#20 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:00 AM

Looks like the advantage goes to rigel since the customer support will help get all the parts in order. like I could order the easy ZWO EAF but I will likely need an adapter.

lol didnt see #19.

Edited by Ballyhoo, 20 November 2019 - 12:09 AM.

• psandelle likes this

#21 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:06 AM

my ears are burning, is somebody talking about me?  lol.gif

Speak of the Rigel!

Paul

#22 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Viking 1

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:11 AM

Go Moonlite. Then if you do want to upgrade the focuser later you already have the controller and the stepper.

Chris

• Night shift likes this

#23 rigelsys

rigelsys

Vendor (Rigel Systems)

• Vendors

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:09 AM

Looks like the advantage goes to rigel since the customer support will help get all the parts in order. like I could order the easy ZWO EAF but I will likely need an adapter.

lol didnt see #19.

drop me an e-mail at rigelsys@cox.net

thank you

• Swordfishy likes this

#24 BobT

BobT

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Driftwood, TX

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:03 AM

Here's the Pegasus FocusCube3 mounted on my Esprit 120, works like a charm:

focuser (3).jpg

BobT

• psandelle and elmiko like this

#25 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:58 AM

I made my own, it used an Arduino and is controlled through ASCOM over USB cable or by an infrared remote. My version is a spin off of this one. If you look there are many different versions of it that people have made. Top is a picture when I was first building it, bottom is it finished and attached.

https://stargazerslo...-focuser-mark2/

FocuserSmall.jpg

Focuser-Finisheds.jpg

• psandelle and elmiko like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics