•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Spreadsheet to Calculate Alt/Az

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:54 PM

I don't know how useful this Excel spreadsheet might be as I have searched and can find nothing similar.  Anyhow, it calculates real-time Alt and Az for a number of Messier objects which I find very useful for Dob type telescope pointing.  All you need input is your location (lat/long) and your UT hours difference. 

In MS Excel, it uses a little VBA code to do the alt/az update automatically a two second intervals.  I have ported it to an Android tablet running its version of Excel but it does not support VBA so one has to do a Calculate Now to get the current values.

Any object can be easily added by copying to a new row and entering the object's name, RA and Declination.

Edit:

Tried to post this but got an error:  "You aren't permitted to upload this type of file"

Is this because it's a spreadsheet or maybe a spreadsheet with a macro??

#2 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:01 PM

I use Stellarium for this.   Put in the target and it gives you the real time AltAz on a constant basis.   Many other planetaruim programs do the same thing.

#3 SDTopensied

SDTopensied

Viking 1

• Loc: Atlanta

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

Very nice!  Would you mind posting it on something like Google Drive?  That would definitely be useful to me.

-Steve

#4 philipdehazya

philipdehazya

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:33 PM

I find this useful: https://tonightssky.com/MainPage.php

Enter your location and the times you want to observe, the date and the types of objects you wish to see. A list will be generated. To get alt and az, select "include alt az over time" using the Plan Format button at the bottom of your list when creating your list .

• aeajr likes this

#5 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:37 PM

I use Stellarium for this.   Put in the target and it gives you the real time AltAz on a constant basis.   Many other planetaruim programs do the same thing.

Hi, on re-reading my post, I notice I left out the part that I wanted something which would provide large enough text to read without my reading glasses, especially with a tablet (avoiding not have to put them on/off repeatedly in the dark).  I have looked at Stellarium and Sky Safari and, while they are excellent and provide much more info than my spreadsheet ever could, their largest font size, as far as I can tell, is way too small.

I guess one other possible advantage of a spreadsheet is that it can be individually customized.

• aeajr likes this

#6 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:48 PM

Very nice!  Would you mind posting it on something like Google Drive?  That would definitely be useful to me.

-Steve

Never used Google Drive before but here is the link (I hope it works):

https://drive.google...H0uDJaB-bKBJjbk

#7 nosmoke

nosmoke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:07 PM

I find this useful: https://tonightssky.com/MainPage.php

Enter your location and the times you want to observe, the date and the types of objects you wish to see. A list will be generated. To get alt and az, select "include alt az over time" using the Plan Format button at the bottom of your list when creating your list .

Thanks, that's a useful program. 

Tried it out BTW and noticed for galaxies & nebulae at my location it included M32 & M110 (satellites of M31)  but not M31 itself for some reason.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics