•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZ-GTi Mount vs Star Adventurer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DeudeMann

DeudeMann

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:14 PM

So I am looking into portable, lightweight goto mounts for observation tracking, and possible EAA. I have converged on two of the Sky Watcher items, specifically the AZ-GTi mount and the Star Adventurer with the 'Pro Kit' which comes with some mounts, and a sort-of adjustable wedge for EQ mount type work. I know that in both cases they can be purchased without tripods which is OK with me; I already have a tripod.

After reading into both they appear to have the same basic capability on the surface (?) such as weight capacity, goto(?), EQ mode, startracker port (not sure this is the right term) etc. So, what is the difference between these two other than the obvious packaging differences? Is there a reason to get one over the other depending on what I want to do? The Star Adventurer seems to be tailored more towards the EQ setup based on the items that are included in the pro kit, and its polar scope.

I searched and could not find an answer on this one so apologies if I missed it.

Edited by DeudeMann, 19 November 2019 - 10:18 PM.

• TikiTom likes this

#2 cst4

cst4

Vostok 1

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:49 PM

I didn’t think the star adventurer had goto capability, but I could be wrong? The AZ GTI definitely has goto. It is a great little portable alt az tracker for visual use. And I really like controlling it with an app on my phone. I’ve never used a star adventurer but I would put the difference this way... if you want a portable goto mount for visual then the AZ GTI is hard to beat, but if you’re main goal is astrophotography then the star adventurer is probably the better option. Of course either one can be used for visual or astrophotography but the AZ GTI seems like more work than it is worth to use for astrophotography. You have to purchase a wedge and counterweight and download an update to make it an EQ mount. And then either set it up without polar aligning or figure out a way to add a polar scope. And then there’s no easy way to auto guide that I know of. The star adventurer can do all that out of the box.

#3 DeudeMann

DeudeMann

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:18 PM

cst4 I think you nailed it... The Star Adventurer does not appear to have goto based on the manufacturer web site and in a couple of forum posts I have seen. Honestly I cannot believe I missed that.

This article covers the Star Adventurer's lack of goto
https://astrobackyar...rer-pro-review/

Edited by DeudeMann, 19 November 2019 - 10:24 PM.

#4 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:32 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

I have all 3 - the Az-Gti, Star Adventurer and the Star Adv mini. 

I use them only for photography and drift alignments.  

Some details: 

Only the GTi comes w/ a tripod and approx 8" pier on top of the tripod.  

GTi is the only one w/ GoTo.  

GTI can use the big mounts hand controller.  

All of them can be put on an EQ wedge.  

Most of them need firmware updates and an be up/ downgraded for different functions.  

Size - each is about a pound or so difference.  

Payloads - all about 1/2lb or so difference.  

The GTi & the Mini can be used with an app on your phone, the standard SA cannot.  

All have ST4 autoguide ports.  

The SA & Mini both have polar alignment scopes, the GTi does not.  

Seems like is they put all of these functions into a single little mount, it could be a winner, if done right

If you have other questions or need more info just reply back and I'll share what I can....

product info inks-

GTI info: https://www.skywatch...ts/az-gti-mount

standard SA info: https://www.skywatch...star-adventurer

SA mini info: https://www.skywatch...adventurer-mini

Edited by TikiTom, 19 November 2019 - 10:37 PM.

• DeudeMann likes this

#5 JohnChambers

JohnChambers

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:19 AM

Hi Guys, I just rejoined the site after being away for a few years. Getting some feedback and information regarding GOTO mounts is my primary reason for rejoining, so thanks for this discussion!

Has anyone here used the AZ-GTi with a Televue 85 or with a longer 80mm (f/11) refractor? I know the Televue 85 is under the stated payload capacity, but how stable is a longer refractor on this mount? Is there any vibration associated with a longer optical tube?

Thanks! 

#6 Jim4321

Jim4321

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:33 AM

You may find that the AZ-GTi  requires you to jump thru some hoops to successfully load any upgrades.  I've found a few rather disturbing threads both here and on a British astro board.  Some folks report such things as an inability to download upgrades unless they also have access to a wi-fi dongle, or an pre-Win10 machine.  There's even one thread on needing 2 phones to use it with Sky Safari.  The supplied documentation appears to be unusually sparse & uninformative. 

I think what I'm saying is to do some Googling on issues / problems before buying.  

Jim H.

#7 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:12 AM

Here's a long thread mostly on imaging with the AZ GTi mount:

https://www.cloudyni...i-mount/page-71

#8 cst4

cst4

Vostok 1

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:21 PM

Hi Guys, I just rejoined the site after being away for a few years. Getting some feedback and information regarding GOTO mounts is my primary reason for rejoining, so thanks for this discussion!

Has anyone here used the AZ-GTi with a Televue 85 or with a longer 80mm (f/11) refractor? I know the Televue 85 is under the stated payload capacity, but how stable is a longer refractor on this mount? Is there any vibration associated with a longer optical tube?

Thanks! 

I currently use a 102ED F/7 scope on the AZ-GTI, which I bought specifically for visual use on this mount.  I've also connected my DSLR to it and taken some decent shots tracking in alt-az.  The 102ED is around 10lbs with accessories.  Before that I used a 80mm F/11 achromat on it and it did just fine.  That scope was only like 6lbs but the longer tube did cause some vibrations... really no more than when I used that scope on a Vixen Porta Mount with wooden legs though.  But I must say that I use the AZ-GTI on a Bogen 475 tripod, which is likely much more stable than the stock tripod that they sell with it.  From what I have seen, as long as it is used on a sturdy tripod then the AZ-GTI is quite stable at the max payload as long as the tube isn't too long.  But as they say, your mileage may vary.

DSC05259 - smaller.jpg

#9 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Viking 1

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:11 PM

TikiTom,

Since you are in a position to compare them, do you have a preference ?

I haven't seen one in the flesh, but the GTi looks less substantial than the other two. If they were all on the same tripod, would the GTi be as rigid ?

Steve.

#10 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

Here's another good thread. I'm putting together an imaging rig to take to Australia next year (hopefully).

AZ-GTi mount with a sturdier tripod

Astrotech 72ED refractor

or

Celestron C6 with Hyperstar

ZWO 294C

#11 organge

organge

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:07 PM

Thanks! 

I used it with Vixen A80 (80mm f/11.4) and AZ-GTi could just barely handle it. I did get some nice and surprisingly steady Saturn views at high mag so it's usable but when slewing you could kind of hear the motors struggling.

#12 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:23 PM

TikiTom,

Since you are in a position to compare them, do you have a preference ?

I haven't seen one in the flesh, but the GTi looks less substantial than the other two. If they were all on the same tripod, would the GTi be as rigid ?

Steve.

As far as preferences - it depends on the intended target + payload.

The GTi is the most substantial of the three. 

Of course that means it's the heaviest and needs the best tripod. The one that is included, along with the short, stout pier really is a nice set-up. The GTi also has the most options and best payload too..... 

GTi on left - standard SA on right - (Mini is not pictured, but is the smallest)

Attached Thumbnails

• star adventurer x2 (Small).jpg

• SteveInNZ likes this

#13 DeudeMann

DeudeMann

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:58 PM

"Seems like is they put all of these functions into a single little mount, it could be a winner, if done right" - TikiTom

I was thinking exactly the same thing. For someone who does not want to spend big money on a GEM it would be a nice stand-in for small OTAs. I know it would not be as effective as a nice goto GEM of course but could be 1/3 the price, and much more portable.

I had some follow-up questions but they have all been covered by everyone's responses. Thanks all.

BTW I spent a lot of time here long ago but lost my account information so I started over. Thanks for the welcome just the same. This is a monster of a forum (in a good way).

Edited by DeudeMann, 20 November 2019 - 11:01 PM.

#14 JohnChambers

JohnChambers

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:43 AM

Thank you cst4 and organge. Good information.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics