•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questions re: Accessories for Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AustinAstronomer

AustinAstronomer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:26 PM

I have a couple of questions regarding the Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED (not the 150DX version):

(1)  The Evostar 150ED comes standard with a two-speed Crayford focuser, right?  Does that focuser work well enough to hold a heavy eyepiece when the telescope is pointed straight up (at the zenith)?  Does the focuser have a compression ring visual back?  (I don't think it does.)  If not, can one acquire an after-market compression ring visual back that will fit properly?  Maybe from Scopestuff?

(2)  Does Sky-Watcher USA sell a matching (i.e., white) finderscope bracket for the 150ED?  If so, how can a person acquire such a bracket?  I don't see one for sale on the Sky-Watcher USA website.

Thank you.

AustinAstronomer

• 25585 likes this

#2 sanbai

sanbai

Vostok 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

Baader sells a clicklock visual back for skywatcher (M56). I've one for my 80ED, it was a no-brainer.

#3 tog

tog

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 20 November 2019 - 11:29 AM

I have a couple of questions regarding the Sky-Watcher Evostar 150ED (not the 150DX version):

(1)  The Evostar 150ED comes standard with a two-speed Crayford focuser, right?  Does that focuser work well enough to hold a heavy eyepiece when the telescope is pointed straight up (at the zenith)?  Does the focuser have a compression ring visual back?  (I don't think it does.)  If not, can one acquire an after-market compression ring visual back that will fit properly?  Maybe from Scopestuff?

(2)  Does Sky-Watcher USA sell a matching (i.e., white) finderscope bracket for the 150ED?  If so, how can a person acquire such a bracket?  I don't see one for sale on the Sky-Watcher USA website.

Thank you.

AustinAstronomer

Hi AA! I have the Evostar 150ED. The focuser is a two speed Crayford as you said. I don't know the maximum weight it would hold, but it had no trouble with Orion Stratus EPs at many steep angles. The focuser does not have a compression ring back and this was one of the reasons I went with a Moonlite. Third Planet Optics (TPO) has a white finder (not the bracket though) for the 150ed. Hope this helps!

Edited by tog, 20 November 2019 - 04:39 PM.

#4 sanbai

sanbai

Vostok 1

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:05 PM

I don't know the 150ed, but the 80ED has some issues with the Nagler 31T5 (that's heavy!). A screw on the back of the focuser helps locking the focus, though.

I would say that it's a bit unpractical in general for heavy EPs, but it's manageable. It's not mandatory to replace the focuser. I certainly enjoy a lot the views with the 80ED+31T5.

#5 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:22 PM

The Evostar 150ED focuser will handle heavy eyepieces. I use mine with a 41mm Panoptic and 31 Nagler. Tension can easily be adjusted as well. 

At this time we do not sell finders on their own but we are looking into this for next year. 

#6 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:29 PM

ES do a nice white 8x50 RACI polar finder

#7 AustinAstronomer

AustinAstronomer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:13 PM

The Evostar 150ED focuser will handle heavy eyepieces. I use mine with a 41mm Panoptic and 31 Nagler. Tension can easily be adjusted as well.

At this time we do not sell finders on their own but we are looking into this for next year.

What I would need is just the finder bracket. Do you think you will sell the finder brackets without the finder?

Thank you.

AA

#8 sanbai

sanbai

Vostok 1

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:56 PM

You can find brackets with synta dovetail. I'll buy one this week for a ES polar finder I got extra from the guy who sold me (2nd hand) my SW evo 80ed. The original finder was also included.

Just a comment: the finder mount of my scope has a front stop, so I won't be able to put the bracket directly (it has a long dovetail). However, it will fit in my dual mount, which is open on both sides.

In my polluted sky I find the best combining the original finder with a Telrad using a dual mount accessory.

Santiago

Btw, I like a lot my SW Evo 80ED.

Edited by sanbai, 20 November 2019 - 08:33 PM.

#9 AustinAstronomer

AustinAstronomer

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:58 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your comments!

AA

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics