•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bedt camera for guiding with orion thin oag under 300

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Baird TX

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:30 PM

Right now I have the zwo asi 120 mc-s and I'm having lots of trouble guiding with it. Looking for another camera I have about 300

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:13 PM

I doubt that you'll find a guide camera with a higher QE than the 75% of your camera's specifications. Your best bet may be to switch to a monochrome guide camera which will eliminate the Bayer matrix filters built into your color camera.

You also didn't mention how long your guide exposures are. I'd strongly recommend at least three seconds, and possibly five seconds. Very short guide exposures often end up chasing the seeing which doesn't do much for your guiding. A 3-5 second guide exposure should almost always have some stars showing up.

#3 wheelers4life

wheelers4life

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Baird TX

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:41 PM

Right now I have it set at 1s. This thing just does not show many stars most of the time. The last two night I have had lost star low mass, lost star low hdf errors. I was looking at the zwo asi 290mm mini. For a new guide camera. We is 80% has a larger chip. Thinking this looks like a good fit for my orion thin oag. And my long focal lenth. With my .7x reducer my focal lenth is 1422. I was also looking at the orion guide camera as well but it is 399

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics