•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M33 With 183mm + Edge 9.25

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:45 PM

Imaged over two nights with the ASI 183mm Pro and Edge 9.25.  I was very oversampled at 0.21"/px, but overall am very pleased with the details I was able to bring out.

300s subs for RGB

200s subs for Lum

Total integration about 11 hours. 

I posted the full res version on Abin:

get.jpg?insecure

C&C Welcome.

Edit:  For best viewing use an old Lenovo Laptop from 2013 and NOT a Surface Pro.  Amazing how nice images can look on some monitors and how drab on others... Oh well.

M33.JPG

Edited by ChrisWhite, 19 November 2019 - 10:48 PM.

• astro140, jdupton, OleCuss and 13 others like this

#2 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:38 AM

Quite a demanding image scale for a mid level mount, what kind of guiding stats did you have on those nights?  You picked up some pretty good detail in the dust.  What made you decide to get another ASI183MM?

• ChrisWhite and retroman2 like this

#3 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:23 AM

Quite a demanding image scale for a mid level mount, what kind of guiding stats did you have on those nights?  You picked up some pretty good detail in the dust.  What made you decide to get another ASI183MM?

The first night I have very good seeing and was guiding at around .4"/px with 290mini OAG bin 2x2.  The second night was not as good and the data shows.  I was guiding around .6"/px. 

Well, why did I decide to get another 183?  I regret selling mine to you!  I went a different route because I wanted a more "appropriate" image scale for the Edge, but the larger pixels also were on a larger sensor and the vignetting was terrible, and the quality of the data was not as good either.  I went back and looked at data I had taken with the 183 and that sealed it. 

In my opinion the 183 is the best CMOS available.  There are limitations (namely high gain and long exposure) but the data it produces is so clean and after calibration is very CCD like. 

#4 Peregrinatum

Peregrinatum

Messenger

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:50 PM

Detail looks great, and it's tough imaging at F10, so well done...

I was curious if you dithered and applied drizzle integration?

#5 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:44 PM

Detail looks great, and it's tough imaging at F10, so well done...

I was curious if you dithered and applied drizzle integration?

Thank you very much.  I dither every 3 frames with this camera, and do not drizzle. 

#6 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:06 PM

...Well, why did I decide to get another 183?  I regret selling mine to you!  I went a different route because I wanted a more "appropriate" image scale for the Edge, but the larger pixels also were on a larger sensor and the vignetting was terrible, and the quality of the data was not as good either.  I went back and looked at data I had taken with the 183 and that sealed it....

This is slightly concerning to me, I bought an Edge 9.25 package deal not long ago (still haven't had first light yet) because it is supposed to be able to reasonably cover a full frame chip.  The reason I am ditching my Edge 8 is because I didn't feel that the corrected imaging circle wasn't even big enough to adequately cover an APS-C sized chip.  Collimation was spot on, but when using a OSC camera, the blue seemed much more out of focus the further from the center of the sensor.  It was like the stars were "bleeding blue light" directly away from the center line.  What was in your imaging train that was causing so much vignetting with the 9.25?

#7 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:31 PM

This is slightly concerning to me, I bought an Edge 9.25 package deal not long ago (still haven't had first light yet) because it is supposed to be able to reasonably cover a full frame chip. The reason I am ditching my Edge 8 is because I didn't feel that the corrected imaging circle wasn't even big enough to adequately cover an APS-C sized chip. Collimation was spot on, but when using a OSC camera, the blue seemed much more out of focus the further from the center of the sensor. It was like the stars were "bleeding blue light" directly away from the center line. What was in your imaging train that was causing so much vignetting with the 9.25?

Oh, nothing to do with the scope. I was using a 4/3 sensor setback 15mm and 1.25in filters.

#8 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 10:32 AM

Rev B-  Adjusted color balance, brightened entire image, darkened dust lanes. 

get.jpg?insecure

#9 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 23 November 2019 - 06:45 PM

Great detail. I really appreciate the close up perspective. Have you considered the FR for the 9.25? I have been using it, but kind of miss  imaging at F10. I’m almost thinking of ditching it.

Derek

• ChrisWhite likes this

#10 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

Great detail. I really appreciate the close up perspective. Have you considered the FR for the 9.25? I have been using it, but kind of miss imaging at F10. I’m almost thinking of ditching it.

Derek

Derek,

I'm not really interested in the FR. Honestly, without it color channels are handled very well and equally. I get very little fringing and misalignment when combining channels. Most images that I have seen with the FR seem to suffer this a bit. I have a newt on one mount that images at 920mm, and I have this at 2350mm. I bought it so I could go super high res, even if I am ridiculously over sampled so for now I'll stay native.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics