•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best barlow for a Nagler 13T6

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Adam Long

Adam Long

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:28 AM

I was considering buying a 5-6mm wideangle eyepiece when I realised I should be able to achieve something similar by barlowing my 13mm Nagler.

The only Barlow I have is the little screw-on 2.25x Baader Hyperion intended to be used with the BH zoom. It's not an enjoyable combo with the Nagler - you can't see the full field and the edges are blurred.

Has anyone had a better experience with other barlows? Guessing a powermate would be better but that's more $$$ than a Meade 5.5mm UWA or ES 6.7/82...

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#2 astrophile

astrophile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NoVA Yellow Zone

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:04 AM

You might try an older used TeleVue 2.5x barlow. OPT appears to have one available.

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:18 AM

The TeleVue PowerMate is the only way to eliminate the vignetting you are experiencing... which is due to the inexorable exit pupil back-shift caused  by ~regular~ barlows.    Tom

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:28 AM

The TeleVue PowerMate is the only way to eliminate the vignetting you are experiencing... which is due to the inexorable exit pupil back-shift caused  by ~regular~ barlows.    Tom

The vignetting is caused by the limited clear aperture of the Baader zoom, it's only 13.2 mm.

https://agenaastro.c...oom-barlow.html

The 13mm Nagler has a 17.6 mm field stop.. vignetting cannot be avoided.

I have a 2X 1.25 inch TV Barlow, it works well with the 13mm Type 6 Nagler. Its longer than a shorty Barlow but not too long.. I suspect the 2.5x TV Barlow that John suggested would be a good choice as well.

Jon

• F.Meiresonne, Usquebae, havasman and 1 other like this

#5 Adam Long

Adam Long

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the help. I guess there's no escaping the exit pupil problem without ponying up for a Powermate. But looks like a bigger clear aperture might be a start.

#6 esd726

esd726

Apollo

• Loc: Rochester, IN

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:03 AM

I think my 2x ES Focal Extender works great with my 13 T6.  

• cloudypatio likes this

#7 dan_h

dan_h

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the help. I guess there's no escaping the exit pupil problem without ponying up for a Powermate. But looks like a bigger clear aperture might be a start.

I don't think the exit pupill thing would be a problem here.  The 13T6 doesn't have an exceptionally long eye relief to start with and adding a little to it may very well be an advantage.  

I use my 13T6 with a three element Antares 2X Barlow which is apparently the same as the Celestron Ultima.  I have never noticed any issues but I don't Barlow a lot as I also have a 7T6 in my kit. 

https://www.cloudyni...-some-thoughts/

dan

• F.Meiresonne, Jon Isaacs and cloudypatio like this

#8 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:52 PM

The vignetting is caused by the limited clear aperture of the Baader zoom, it's only 13.2 mm.

https://agenaastro.c...oom-barlow.html

The 13mm Nagler has a 17.6 mm field stop.. vignetting cannot be avoided.

I have a 2X 1.25 inch TV Barlow, it works well with the 13mm Type 6 Nagler. Its longer than a shorty Barlow but not too long.. I suspect the 2.5x TV Barlow that John suggested would be a good choice as well.

Jon

I agree, a TV2 is a very good Barlow. Love it. But i cannot use it in my diagonals, she might hit the mirror.

#9 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:53 PM

I don't think the exit pupill thing would be a problem here.  The 13T6 doesn't have an exceptionally long eye relief to start with and adding a little to it may very well be an advantage.  

I use my 13T6 with a three element Antares 2X Barlow which is apparently the same as the Celestron Ultima.  I have never noticed any issues but I don't Barlow a lot as I also have a 7T6 in my kit. 

dan

Indeed, exactly my thinking too

#10 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

dan

I use my 13T6 with a Celestron Ultima barlow for my travel kit. It does not vignette, and in fact it works very well. The barlow actually magnifies about 2.2x, so I figure it becomes a 6 mm Nagler.

I have read very good reports on the new Celestron shorty:

https://bhpho.to/2QMTEpZ

• rguasto and jeffmac like this

#11 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

I agree, a TV2 is a very good Barlow. Love it. But i cannot use it in my diagonals, she might hit the mirror.

Which diagonals? Almost all 1.25" diagonals have an internal ring stop.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#12 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:07 PM

Either the TV 2x Barlow or the Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow should work fine. Neither are Powermates and both are less expensive. If your system contains a 2" diagonal you have to check clearance and you may need a "hi-hat" 2"-to-1.25" adapter to provide clearance.

IMO, best long-term satisfaction is via discreet focal length eyepiece.

• Jon Isaacs and greenstars3 like this

#13 Adam Long

Adam Long

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:00 AM

Thanks folks. I've found a good deal on a used Celestron Ultima SV so will give that a go and report back...

Both scopes are dobs so no diagonal issues.

• cloudypatio likes this

#14 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:43 PM

Which diagonals? Almost all 1.25" diagonals have an internal ring stop.

Really , i got to check this then, it a TS 2 inch diagonal with 1.25 adapter,91% reflection,not the highest quality allthough i really see no difference if i use my TS 1.25 diagonal with 99% reflection.

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 21 November 2019 - 12:45 PM.

#15 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

Posted 21 November 2019 - 01:27 PM

Really , i got to check this then, it a TS 2 inch diagonal with 1.25 adapter,91% reflection,not the highest quality allthough i really see no difference if i use my TS 1.25 diagonal with 99% reflection.

I’m not as familiar with the TS products. I would carefully measure how far the 1.25” barlow protrudes into the 2” diagonal. I’ve not had one interfere yet, using (2) different 2” diagonals and (5) different barlows.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#16 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:46 PM

I’m not as familiar with the TS products. I would carefully measure how far the 1.25” barlow protrudes into the 2” diagonal. I’ve not had one interfere yet, using (2) different 2” diagonals and (5) different barlows.

yes indeed , so that is why , in rare cases now ,i use a TAL 2x Barlow because it is short, sharpness a bit less then the TV2 but great contrast and pretty  dark..

But i will check the ring ...

#17 nicoledoula

nicoledoula

Apollo

Posted 21 November 2019 - 07:14 PM

Buy and install an O-ring to protect your diagonal glass from being touched. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics