•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Asteroid XP14 is a coming by July 3rd

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisR

ChrisR

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:36 PM

I was just reading on Yahoo news about the asteroid designated XP14 that will be coming really close to the Earth. I of course will have my telescope out, if the Seattle weather remains clear, but I worry if I will be able to follow it fast enough. I'm probably going to use my friends Bino's, (Fujinon 10x70 FMT-SX's).

I'm wondering if I should try to borrow a 20x80. The article said it will be about as close to the earth as the moon, so I don't want to over power the view.

I haven't been able to find info on where in the sky I should look for it on the 3rd. If its so close will I be able to see it with the naked eye, or will I have to scan for it.

Help me chase the comet please.

Peace,
Chris

#2 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:42 AM

Hi Chris,

Yes, even though the asteroid will be about the same distance as the moon, it is A LOT dimmer, naturally.

There are a number of websites addressing the situation, including NASA and spaceupdate@space.com. I would suggest you visit and/or search on the topic.

If you can hone in on its position in a lower power binocular, then, perhaps, the 20x80 can come into play.

Good luck--it'll probably still be raining here in upstate NY, so I've dismissed it from my agenda at this point.

Best regards,
Dave.

#3 fellers

fellers

Apollo

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:07 AM

I hear ya on upstate NY. It is going to be raining for at least another week! I live in CNY

#4 ChrisR

ChrisR

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:24 AM

I've heard about all the rain you've been getting back East. I was told it is so bad the rats have started wearing water wings.

Peace,
chris

#5 DJSnM

DJSnM

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:06 PM

You can also follw the motion with my daily maps (back from the days when I could call myself an astronomer)

http://szyzyg.arm.ac.../local_map.html
and
http://szyzyg.arm.ac.uk/~spm/

#6 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:52 AM

Hey all, a bit O.T.

Not only the rats wear....., but the skunks like to come into the garage! Also the shed. What is worse, not being able to observe much other than wet leaves, is that it has been terribly humid and uncomfortable. Thank God for central air.

Best regards,
Dave.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics