•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Going slightly local.....with M33

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:27 PM

I pointed the RASA 11" with the QHY168C at M33 and using an Old IDAS LP1 filter I took 438 30 second subs- I went for 500 but cloud & fog spoilt a few of the frames.

The IDAS filter does a good job but leaves a green cast which is easily removed- its quite a nice filter.

Conditions were average however the sheer number of subs overcame most of the difficulties.

The telescope was unguided for the entire duration and considering a half moon I'm pleased with the result. However I do wish I could be given a nice clear night with no moon!

As always let me know what you think. The stars have had no post processing so pretty much what I get is seen.

I hope you get better skies than mine!

Best wishes

Mark

M33_500_web.jpg

Edited by pyrasanth, 20 November 2019 - 02:29 PM.

• elmiko and ChrisWhite like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:13 PM

Very nice! waytogo.gif like-button.jpg

#3 hobbyknipser

hobbyknipser

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

Hi, Mark,

a good result! waytogo.gif 

Maybe, you could stretch a little bit more and the core could be a little bit lighter...

Some weeks ago I tried M33 with 644x30 sec, but only a f/4 System and a DSLR...and 1000 frames would have been better for stretching or sharpening.smile.gif 

greetings

Andreas

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:16 PM

Hi, Mark,

a good result! waytogo.gif

Maybe, you could stretch a little bit more and the core could be a little bit lighter...

Some weeks ago I tried M33 with 644x30 sec, but only a f/4 System and a DSLR...and 1000 frames would have been better for stretching or sharpening.smile.gif

greetings

Andreas

Good observation.

I think the 30 second exposures on the RASA are a bit too long. I'm going to try 1000 15 second exposures at next opportunity as stretching showed a sheen of background noise which looked a bit like net curtain being pulled over the image. However the core observation is valid so I will see what I can do next time round. I have a collimation issue to sort as well on the RASA- which I'm arranging for Celestron to fix.

#5 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:41 PM

Good observation.

I think the 30 second exposures on the RASA are a bit too long. I'm going to try 1000 15 second exposures at next opportunity as stretching showed a sheen of background noise which looked a bit like net curtain being pulled over the image. However the core observation is valid so I will see what I can do next time round. I have a collimation issue to sort as well on the RASA- which I'm arranging for Celestron to fix.

I just got mine back a few weeks ago from being collimated...what a difference! I tried doing myself, spent a lot of time, even spent for an expensive collimator. According to Celestron, it was only off a little, but night and day results in my images.

you can stretch that a lot, I just downloaded and made a few changes from the photo editor on my iPad.  

Attached Thumbnails

• A3945204-456B-4893-B85A-25F4043B4AB3.jpeg

Edited by 44maurer, 20 November 2019 - 04:48 PM.

• elmiko and pyrasanth like this

#6 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 05:53 PM

I just got mine back a few weeks ago from being collimated...what a difference! I tried doing myself, spent a lot of time, even spent for an expensive collimator. According to Celestron, it was only off a little, but night and day results in my images.

you can stretch that a lot, I just downloaded and made a few changes from the photo editor on my iPad.  

I'm intrigued by your collimation observation- do you have CCD inspector to post the result after the collimation?- If not can you post a before and after collimation picture. My RASA is only a little bit out according to CCD inspector but it puts nearly half of the frame out of focus. One side is very sharp and the other half has little donuts so not good.

Thanks for the stretch. I think I may have a flat issue showing up as I get a halo around bright objects in the middle of the field- telescopes are so much fun-lol

#7 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:51 PM

I'm intrigued by your collimation observation- do you have CCD inspector to post the result after the collimation?- If not can you post a before and after collimation picture. My RASA is only a little bit out according to CCD inspector but it puts nearly half of the frame out of focus. One side is very sharp and the other half has little donuts so not good.

Thanks for the stretch. I think I may have a flat issue showing up as I get a halo around bright objects in the middle of the field- telescopes are so much fun-lol

I. Should have a before and after shot I can post, I do not have CCD inspector. I’ll try to post later tonight.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics