•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help understanding CCDInspector results

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Keudn

Keudn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:42 PM

Hi guys, 

I am trying to narrow down what is causing some issues with the curvature of my field at the edges of photos, so I popped 7 images from the same night and target into CCDInspector and this is what it resulted in. For reference, I am using a D5300 with my C80ED. The images were guided and were 360s at ISO-800.

2D Plot

3D Plot

The thing that immediately jumps out to me is the curvature. I know its a refractor, but do I really have that extreme of field curvature? What are the other metrics given in the 2D plot?

I also added 3 subs from a different target on the same night. Still 360s and ISO-800.

2D Plot

Why are these so drastically different?

Edited by Keudn, 20 November 2019 - 10:51 PM.

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:41 AM

While C80ED is relatively 'slow' scope you will benefit from reducer/corrector.

#3 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:59 AM

I also added 3 subs from a different target on the same night. Still 360s and ISO-800.

2D Plot

Why are these so drastically different?

It's likely you had something like focusing tube sag or slack in the camera adaptor that caused sensor tilt for the image that reports a high value of the metric CCDInspector calls "curvature".

Mark

Edited by sharkmelley, 21 November 2019 - 04:43 AM.

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:51 AM

The first set are out of focus. The second set are closer to focus. You do have some tilt but for best results I'd do two things. First of all, get some spacers that thread into the focuser tube so that you only have to rack it out 1/2" or so to obtain optimal focus. Second, get a flattener or a flattener/reducer if they make one for your scope. I never use reducers because they also reduce that well corrected FOV which may or may not matter to you.

Rgrds-Ross

• Keudn likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics