•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I buy a new planetay camera

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 qiuchance

qiuchance

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:14 AM

Hello everyone,I hava a cooled camera ASI183MC pro for both DSO and planetary imaging,now I‘m going to buy new cooled camera for DSO like ASI2600mc comeing soon.

The problem bothers me is whether I need to sell my 183MC to buy a new planetary camera like ASI224MC , or continue to use 183MC as planetary camera.

The former will save me a little money and get a lighter camera,it's good for telescope to maintain balance, while the latter doesn't need me to make any changes,but wastes an important function.

Thx.~

Edited by qiuchance, 21 November 2019 - 08:15 AM.

#2 George Bailey

George Bailey

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 21 November 2019 - 08:43 AM

What scope / f will you use for planetary work?

You should match your camera's pixel size to the system f (scope + barlow): f = 5 * pixel size

If the 183 matches this criteria, use it.

#3 Gipht

Gipht

Vanguard

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 21 November 2019 - 09:38 AM

What frame rates have you been able to achieve with the 183 camera?  My 224MC operates at over 200 frames/sec on the brighter planets. 

#4 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 21 November 2019 - 03:06 PM

If you use a small ROI the ASI183 should approach (if not match) the same frame rates as the ASI224.  The camera only slows down once you start capturing from large ROIs.  The ASI183 would be fine for planets, provided you have the right scope to achieve a good focal ratio.  Imaging anywhere from f/10 to maybe as high as f/14 would be optimal.  Lower than that and you are not sampling enough, and higher than that you will already have passed the diffraction limit (theoretical) and will simply be reducing your SNR for no good reason.  But within that range, the camera performs quite well.  

• RedLionNJ likes this

#5 Rouzbeh

Rouzbeh

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2019 - 01:25 PM

Im using the qhy183M. Initial tests show its a good camera for planetary work. As Glenn said , just lower the ROI. The qhy is a bit slower than the asi in FC, usb traffic issues m

#6 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 23 November 2019 - 03:16 PM

I've been using an ASI183MC for planetary for quite a while. It has the triple-advantage of a large area (for the moon or sun, say - I captured the Mercury transit using it), small pixels and a really good FPS at a small enough ROI. I was trending toward five hundred or so fps when experimenting during the Mercury transit with the smallest ROI FC would let me set.

And at native f/10 on my SCT, it doesn't need a barlow (in my terrible seeing) yet.

Grant

• gfstallin likes this

#7 qiuchance

qiuchance

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2019 - 01:55 PM

What frame rates have you been able to achieve with the 183 camera?  My 224MC operates at over 200 frames/sec on the brighter planets. 

Thanks for your note, at 640 * 480 resolution, it can reach 140fps ,seems to be a not bad rate.

#8 qiuchance

qiuchance

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:04 PM

Thanks everybody, I've decided to stay 183. I can get f10 on my nweton with 2x barlow,I believe it  can get good performance.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics